• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Song of the day.

Epic jam... especially that last 4 minutes or so...
The perfect 3-way dance between drums, piano, and Mark's always excellent guitar work.

Reactions: theLBC
So, the 4th St Dude caused me to think of this one:

But Ghey as fuck dude "Chris Isaak" (nothing wrong with that) did the smartest thing...

Called all those split tails up to dance and "let that shit out" LOL.

I vote, Hell yeah. Unleash that shit yo. LOL.

Dude sings like a bird. And it was a cool song (IMO). Maybe his only cool song, dunno.

But you see how that can be a thing... "Let's hear it for the dancers...."

Indeed.

Life is short.

Shit.

One more rant for the week (I'll stop here I promise)

So stoked. Just got "Buddy" back from paint. Need to touch that up and hand to my tech (I'm fucked for time).

Here is Django (the Guitar player). Gonna bore the shit out of most - but for those who play, worth mentioning IMO.

Boring Django documentary:​

Django in slow mo (this is with 2 fingers from Django - just sayin', guy playin' has MORE):

And because I am stoked, a sneak preview at my "Buddy" before handing off to my Tech dude:
BudyInBoxNew.jpg

Inspiration comes from stupid places and I'm stupid and inspired. Just wanted to share in case anyone gives a shit. If not, apologies. It'll hold till I find that Guitar Nut thread again when complete. Just sayin'.

Epic jam... especially that last 4 minutes or so...
The perfect 3-way dance between drums, piano, and Mark's always excellent guitar work.

mark bought be a pint back in the 90s when i lived close to rockfield studios in wales. he was a really cool guy (i am not the type to gush over celebrities).
dickhead from simply red on the other hand, tried to pick up my gf right in front of me.

i used to like this song, but right now it sort of pisses me off.

georgia gibbs

49-Hot-Pictures-of-Georgia-Gibbs-Will-Motivate-You-To-Win-Her-Over.jpg

Sorry dude. I do not like Mark Knopfler.

At all.

I have wondered about that for some time - in many ways. Folks love that shit.

I do not dig what he is doing at all, and wonder if it is just my preference. Great guitarist. But when I listen - just not even close to what I want to hear. For me.

Not my cup of tea in any regards. Just sayin. I'm sure that is unpopular. But that is my opinion.

At all.

I do not dig what he is doing at all, and wonder if it is just my preference. Great guitarist. But when I listen - just not even close to what I want to hear. For me.

Not my cup of tea in any regards. Just sayin. I'm sure that is unpopular. But that is my opinion.

Im not a fan either. Hes pretty good, but there is no feeling imo. Just not a fan.

On the other hand, terry kath (rip)...solo at about 3:00. Mfer never even looks at his guitar lol..

Reactions: Not a Sniper

At all.

no worries. i have no idea what he is doing now. i only know his old dire straits music.

What pickups you going with?View attachment 7539008
I made a huge mistake.... Shocking, I know. I custom ordered the body with Fender "vintage route." And planned on Gen4 Fender Strat Noiseless for Buddy as he and Clapton agreed with Lace Sensors recently. Big mistake. They are HUGE (in size) I found, after ordering them. They are hard to fit in normal Strats, let alone Vintage routes.... Soooooo...

I went with 57/62's. Similar yet different. Vintage sounds but not noiseless.

SRV strat has Tex Specials and sound like that..... very Stevie. Mid-punch.

And my Mexican, I dropped Tex/Mex in, and it sound like that.... Classic Strat (and I can make do with Jimmy Lee Vaughan sounds). This is a great pickup for the price IMO.

57/62's I'm throwing the dice on. Wanted Gen4 but screwed up on planning clearly. These should be close to what I was looking for with Buddy.

Old, old school sound and we will see soon enough! This is third Strat and I need them similar, but different enough. Most differences comes from pickups IMO.

(Pretty stoked at this point) LOL! Buddy is coming to life and looks awesome IMO!

If you haven’t bought the pickups yet and want fenders check into the fat 50’s. I have those in my 61. I really like the warm mid range tones.
Or go to Lindy Fralin and get the best pickups made.

Terry Kath. Phenomenal. That old CTA is the best. Now they’re like a Vegas lounge act😡
Oh snap! LOL

I was born and raised in Chicago till I bailed to find Uncle Sugar.

I have SO many stupid stories about this place/time and I have met these particular folks in weird places.

LOL

Thanks for posting this dude - Chicago/CTA is not the front runner in my brain these days. Fack.

And to the point of Lounge Lizards... Yes, they are. Even when I was a kid. That's how I met some of them.

If you haven’t bought the pickups yet and want fenders check into the fat 50’s. I have those in my 61. I really like the warm mid range tones.
Or go to Lindy Fralin and get the best pickups made.
Thanks dude - I did buy both already.

The Gen 4's up front (miss) and the 57/62's when I just realized my mistake.

I saw several models like the fat 50's, but if you look at what I have today, I was trying for different.

I wanted the old, (old) school sound of vintage compared to Tex Specials and Tex/Mex. Those should be way hotter than these and I mostly was trying to rip off Buddy in particular but Eric Clapton to boot.

I really am going broke between guitars and rifles. Just sayin'!

LOL

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
What I meant about being a lounge act is now the horn section is out front being a bunch hams. Over selling themselves. Hard to watch. They were just part of the band back in the day.
Saw them in Kansas City at Arrowhead Stadium. 1974 I think it was.

1. I think I posted Roy Clark and Gatemouth Brown a while back. Yes he’s awesome.

2. Pickups. If you’re shopping pickups check this guy out. He’s a friend of mine. I was helping him build for a while. Got to busy with other crap

You did in fact. Roy and Gatemouth are right up my alley. (That prolly means I am roughly old as you)

And, damnit...

We prolly need a thread for this specific shit. I have ideas and money - but reckon I'm missing nuance shit nonethelesser.

Worst case - I have found a new painter.

LOL

Note to self....

I am a paint by numbers musician. The creative circuit in my brain is not connected. I have to know ahead of time what to play and when to play it 😢
I’m a chord guy. Swing, Western Swing that kind of stuff.

I am a paint by numbers musician. The creative circuit in my brain is not connected. I have to know ahead of time what to play and when to play it 😢
I’m a chord guy. Swing, Western Swing that kind of stuff.
I think I understand that. But, rubbish.

You just need to find that quiet spot that lets you paint the way you want/need to.

Find THAT spot and do your thing dude. Until you throw the paint around, you will paint like they tell you too.

And for what is it is worth, I know many musicians and most paint the way they were taught. The weird ones stick out to some. But not to most folks. Certainly not initially. Not like you suggest.

Music is worth anything and everything you bring to it. I always thought it was for others enjpyment, but now, I think mostly for me. Those who love you will see it for what it is. A weird assed gift.

Look no further than musicians who play with those we now know were crazy/geniuses. Someone has to hold down the fort.

Anyhoo....

Reactions: Moe Ron
Saw Gatemouth in Tulsa probably early 80s. He was solo and I was very disappointed. The other guy on the bill however absolutely killed it.

A gentleman named Lonnie Mack. Wow 🤩
If I recall correctly, Gatemouth Brown surged in the early to mid 80s. But dropped off again.

Because "music."

He was a Gibson dude and I loved him. Too cool at the time.

Folks who pay attention will remember.

Reckon that makes some folks immortal inna way.

Just sayin'. That is a far better outcome than many who slide thru life without making a real mark in some way IMO.

There’s an Austin City Limits of Gmouth that’s very good. Hell of a sax player in the band

Last one for tonight.

If folks don't know Roy Clark, here is Roy.

If folks think hanging in the pocket and painting in the lines is a problem... Here is Gatemouth Brown doing that for Roy.

There is a time and place for most things. Hopefully this shows all options.

• Wow
Hey @Moe Ron been thinking about your comment about painting within the lines and creativity. Some time ago, I stumbled upon this guy who is (IMO) an excellent teacher of music and a serious B type personality who chills me out. He also reminds me a lot of a friend (who I consider family) who left us too soon. I'm gonna post this shit here and see if it resonates with you. And I know I am ranting in @Lapuapalooza 's thread so I will post a thing after that, hopefully makes up for my verbosity. Also, hoping others find it useful.

I know you are a "swing" dude, but I am posting blues related vids, not so dissimilar IMO.

I searched for the specific blues improv video I thought of and couldn't find it, but it grounded me, in what I was trying to shake out at the time. I reckon he has re-branded his shit since when I found this guy.

Anhoo:

Look thru his shit and maybe you will find a thing or two that allows you to paint outside of the box. Don't know your musical background but a little listening will benefit you here, I'm guessing. Hope so anyhoo. He breaks it down to a level most can follow.

For Lapualooza, I offer this one for the masses, not an upcoming new kid, but a great story even if the guy reporting it was a bit doochy:

I enjoyed that last one as I came to realize who "Satan" was.

Just sayin'. (Also just sayin' gonna pester you about Fralin I'm guessing - LOL)

For the record;
This is not my thread. It is our thread. And when it comes right down to it, this thread belongs to Frank.
You guys just keep posting music that you like and discuss it. It’s all good. But don’t ever ask me to watch anything that resembles television...😡😁

Thanks @Not a Sniper. I’ll check it out. Although I can’t count how many instructional videos I have. From VHS to DVD to online downloads. Some have helped me progress significantly. Mostly it’s me not putting in the work.

Have found some good stuff here

Thanks for posting. I grew up listening to this genre of music. My dad had few possessions but he really liked his stereo equipment. He grew up without this luxury during the depression.

So he made up for it as an adult. I hated the music of the 60s and 70s cause I had the misfortune of being around a lot of hippies.

My apologies if I’m stepping on anyone’s toes that likes hippy music but their music represents everything that was an anathema to what my Father and uncles fought against in WWII. It still does.

I find very interesting the journey music can take us on as we go through life. When I was in high school I played trumpet in band. I was into jazz. Any other genre was low brow. Especially country music. Years later I started listening to Willie, Merle etc. I believe it was Willies Stardust album that got it started. One day I realized, hey this is jazz they’re just wearing cowboy hats!

Ah the ignorance and arrogance of youth.

So it’s wonderful to have this thread where I find folks with similar tastes but that have stumbled into different diners. 🤔

So many times as I listen to stuff here I say, how the hell did I miss that! So thanks all and keep educating me.

Ok I’m done. From the ignorance and arrogance of youth to the barely coherent ramblings of a borderline senile boomer 🤪

I never heard of this lady till recently. She was born in 1940 and will be 81 this coming August. These first recordings was made in 1954 when she was 14. She's from Canada and I'd wished we heard more of her in the states.

The quality of the this video isn't that great but she's gorgeous at age 26. This song was a big hit for Jim Reeves.

Talk about aging well! She's 51 in this video singing one of my favorites. Her voice is still clear and hasn't aged at all.

Bonus video.

Reactions: OldSalty2
Fuck yes-let's open that old ass can of Scunion!

I may or may not have worn butterfly collars, bell bottom jeans and suede boots. LMAO. I will not confirm or deny....

I ultimately blamed Zeppelin, but it was SO before then, when I was kid. My siblings are much older than me.

I can see where this evening is headed for me musically. I blame @theLBC dude! :LOL:

PS: Thanks!

This is hilarious. Had a girlfriend break up with me in hi school and Have You Seen Her and this one were my crying songs

for me it was this, which is also probably my favorite dire straits song.