• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sons first centerfire rifle?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
So, after a few months with a single shot bolt action .22LR, my 5 year old is shooting my match rifle more than I am during range trips, along with any other moderate recoiling platforms he can coax family members into letting me borrow.

I’m seeking opinions on getting him his first magazine fed, bolt action centerfire. Something 600-800+ yard capable, adjustable stock, under $800. I was eyeing the Mossberg MVP LR in either .223 or 224 Valkyrie, along with a Vortex 4-16 and a set of reloading dies.

My only hesitation is it’s seemingly rough bolt cycle & feeding.

Are there any other factory options in a small package that are offered in 223, 223AI, 224 Valkyrie, Etc... that are adjustable, mag fed bolt guns? Just looking for options I can go put my hands on before buying.

The Tikka, Remington and Howa are non adjustable at our price point. After buying his .22LR from Savage, I’m staying away from them.

Mossberg MVP LR .224 Valkyrie

246718DF-3CB0-4F01-9426-0C14409E1AF1.jpeg

At the top end of your price range but perhaps a Howa barreled action along with a KRG Bravo. Not sure you will be happy with anything OEM out of the box. Or build a nice AR together...

I love the pictures you posted and what you're doing.
I don't have a good recommendation on a rifle that checks all of your boxes, but regarding the caliber....if you have a budget for the rifle right now, do yourself a favor and just get the .223 because it's going to be the cheapest to shoot of the calibers you listed. I've got a T3x Varmint in a KRG Bravo in .223 and it's my favorite rifle to shoot.

Reactions: acudaowner
Have you thought about a .243? I started mine with a .243 and he was able to use it hunting too. I used Caldwell's fieldpod to hold the rifle that way he could still manipulate the rifle while hunting from a ground blind.

thats great..

tell him good paint job

start with a 223
good barrel life
can hunt with it
shoot out to 1000 with right ammo
limited recoil

annnnd cheap ammo

when he gets a AR platform you still only need 1 1 type of ammo for him

little ones can run a bolt gun like AR's doing mag dumps lol

Everyone that I know with a MVP really likes them and with some polishing the bolt can be smoothed out. Unless funds are unlimited I would go with the .223 that way you can buy wolf steal case buy the pallet and let him fire away LOL. I also wouldn't judge Savage by their .22 lr’s. My kids have a Savage 22 and I have a model 12 22-250, night and day difference in quality and price. Check gunbroker and the classifieds you might find a great deal on something in that under $800 price range!

it looks like he really enjoys it congrats any time you can spend quality time with your child its worth it . You can get another gun in a few years when he cares about it if you want enjoy the time you get while you still can get it .

Everyone that I know with a MVP really likes them and with some polishing the bolt can be smoothed out. Unless funds are unlimited I would go with the .223 that way you can buy wolf steal case buy the pallet and let him fire away LOL. I also wouldn't judge Savage by their .22 lr’s. My kids have a Savage 22 and I have a model 12 22-250, night and day difference in quality and price. Check gunbroker and the classifieds you might find a great deal on something in that under $800 price range!

Could also pick up the Cabela's/Bass Pro 12FV and slap it in an Oryx chassis for well under $800... With the 26" barrel it's a pig but you could easily cut it down or swap it out later. Remember the Savages have a removable bolt head so you could go from .223 to 6.5 as your boy gets bigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: drew_235
My son started with a youth weatherby vanguard in 223 and loved it. Length of pull was adjustable with different butt plates. Had great luck with it.

Buy him a Remington 700 in 223. That way when the time comes (6 years old) you can buy a chassis and he really will have something like his dad shoots.

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
It's going to be unpopular here but a rem 223 in a magpull hunter adjustable stock might get the deed done at the price point.

I have one on a 300blk and like it.

Not as cheap to shoot but 6.5g is a sweet cartridge with 223 type recoil that wont be outgrown soon.

Another option that would be right around the $800 mark is a Ruger American Predator in .223 in an Oryx chassis. Threaded barrel, already has a pic rail on the receiver, and they are generally well regarded for functionality and accuracy.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6cm, stuck it in an oryx chassis- like 850 bucks. I was kinda disappointed with it shooting Hornady black (cheapskate...). Then I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady Match, and all of a sudden the setup was easily sub moa, some .5". A 223 setup like that would be great. Minimal recoil - like none in the oryx. And then you can shoot cheap ammo for blasting or find a good ammo for longer range.

Reactions: drew_235
I have a Ruger American Predator in 6cm, stuck it in an oryx chassis- like 850 bucks. I was kinda disappointed with it shooting Hornady black (cheapskate...). Then I bought a couple of boxes of Hornady Match, and all of a sudden the setup was easily sub moa, some .5". A 223 setup like that would be great. Minimal recoil - like none in the oryx. And then you can shoot cheap ammo for blasting or find a good ammo for longer range.
What is the minimum LOP on the Oryx?

I'd go .243. Broader potential with it later. Can get a .243 Howa 1500, put it in a chassis for the range, swap it back to the stock for hunting up to deer.

.243 has plenty of potential to be a target gun when you reload.

If you consider the size of the young shooter, I think a 243 will slap him around too much for several years.

I agree. That's not a good first time shooter round. But dad will know what his son will be able to handle. I was shooting 12 gauge shotguns and benching a Garand at thee ripe old age of 12 and I was just an averaged size youth. I thought I a was a man back then. Those bruised shoulders were a badge of honor to me.

Reactions: Snuby642
I agree. That's not a good first time shooter round. But dad will know what his son will be able to handle. I was shooting 12 gauge shotguns and benching a Garand at thee ripe old age of 12 and I was just an averaged size youth. I thought I a was a man back then. Those bruised shoulders were a badge of honor to me.
Yeah, I lived that dream as well and still have a flinch to prove it. My kids are going to start on clays with a 28ga auto loader and master the .223.

Reactions: Snuby642
My first shotgun was a H&R Topper 12 gauge, about a 4 1/2 lb gun.

Not a good choice.

I think Rossi makes a single shot .22/20gauge/.243 rifle. That gives a lot of variety for a pretty low cost.

I think it seems appropriate.

Came accross this for your consideration.

I scrolled down as fast as I could to see if someone had suggested Howas mini action in the Grendel flavor yet. MDT makes their LSS Gen2 chassis for the mini action as well, $399.95 and tax. That would be a shooter for sure!

I don't know why you guys are saying a 243 isn't a good first rifle. Aside from firing a 22LR one trigger pull beforehand, a 243 was my first rifle... and look at me today. World champion 100 yard shooter. Hunted for 4 years in my state and came across 2 deer, one I shot (with a 308, of course). And, hold your britches, I'm .25" above average so ladies call me "the perfect size" which is NOT code for "small"... I hope. .243 is where it's at for a starter rifle... #facts. :)

Reactions: MikeRTacOps
I don't know why you guys are saying a 243 isn't a good first rifle. Aside from firing a 22LR one trigger pull beforehand, a 243 was my first rifle... and look at me today. World champion 100 yard shooter. Hunted for 4 years in my state and came across 2 deer, one I shot (with a 308, of course). And, hold your britches, I'm .25" above average so ladies call me "the perfect size" which is NOT code for "small"... I hope. .243 is where it's at for a starter rifle... #facts. :)

The child is 5 years old. That 243 is a little snappy for that age.

If you get him a .243 send me the rifle and I'll install a Tac Ops MB free of charge you just cover the S&H...
The recoil will feel like his 22 ;)

Mike R.

I know you said no Tikka for the adjustable stock point but you could buy CTR t3x take off for little to nothing on the PX and make it fit him. Tikka’s just plain shoot and when it comes time to upgrade there is a lot of great options. Just my .02 cents.

Kids are especially adaptable. To them, a bolt's operation, no matter how it works, as long as it works, is normal until somebody tell them it's not.

This trait is not confined to kids.

I think it's the kid's call, and not anyone else's.

.223; it's literally a no-brainer. 1:7" or 1:8" twist.

I shot 22 until I got drafted into the Marines in 1966, at age 19. It never stunted my shooting development, going from .22LR directly to 7.62x51 M-80 NATO Ball.

Greg

Last edited:
No reason to not do 223 or stay 22. make it fun by getting varying targets at varying distances. Rimfires are still my favorite thing to shoot. oh and CHEAPEST!!

my oldest is 8. he just switched from iron sights to optics. I HIGHLY recommend getting them tuned on irons before optics. I didn't allow him to shoot optics until this year. bb gun and his cicket till he got hits borginly (wd?) consistent.

very important it doesn't turn scary or painful so I highly recommend a 223 and a suppressor when the time comes for an up grade. Just because he can pull the trigger on a bench does not mean he is ready for a larger rifle. again don't push it. grow with it. rimfires are easy and cheap ish to upgrade.

LAst weekend at the Hornady Hunter Match while RO'ing between squads my son got a hit at 680 with the 223 shooting 77's holding 2 mils of wind. Broke his old record of 200. Very proud moment. Might have to buy a short stock and get him going. He still isn't strong enough to manipulate the rifle on his own yet so we will be staying with the rimfire for another year at least.

He has been asking to shoot matches with me for 2 years. I said when you can carry your own rifle...but I meant when I win the lottery lol.

roog 223 hornady.JPG

BTW thanks for being a DAD we need more of them.

Regards
DT

So, after looking around...

I’d love a Howa 1500 for him, but I’d be hesitant to get something slower than a 1-7”. That seems like all Howa has to offer. I’ve read of plans to go to 1-8” but I’d still like faster.

And I’m definitely not doing a 6mm YET, as he’d have that barrel toasted in 6 months with his current shooting style.

I went to check out a Mossberg MVP LR Thunder Ranch in .223 & .224 Valkyrie the other day. The action felt fine with no magazine but quite rough with dummy rounds out of the mag. Definitely needs the follower spring cut WAY down for a bolt gun, but I’m ordering him a .223 Mossberg MVP LR. 20”, 1-7” & adjustable stock.