• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Son's first time long range

OneShotJim

Technical Sergeant
Minuteman
On 7/3 my son Brian (18) and I treked to Gun Site Hills near Athens, GA for his first experience shooting long range (>300yd). We shot my 6.5 Creedmoor. To get used to shooting prone, he checked the zero @ 100yd and fired several more shots @200yd (while I re-zeroed our .223). Asked him if he wanted to go to 300yd, and he replied, "no, let's go straight to 400." So we took turns @ 400, 500 & 600yd targets as he gradually got more comfortable shooting prone.

Here's our 680yd target - Brian's hits @ bottom, mine @ top:

680ydJimBriananaly2013-07-04_zpsd188bc00.jpg

715yd target - Brian's hits @ top, mine @ bottom (all my shots brushed some leaves/twigs on the way, we both saw them shake, him through the spotting scope and me through the rifle scope):

715ydBrianJimanaly2013-07-04_zps24a65b93.jpg

All those looked pretty good so I issued a one-shot challenge for the 650yd targets. He really put the pressure on me by smacking the red bullseye on the diamond target. My shot was barely on the steel, bottom right edge.

BriantopandJimbottom650yd2013-07-04_zpsd98fa33b.jpg

Next we shot two different sillouetts @650yd, one shot each. Brian's first and mine next.

Brian hit just right of dead center.
BrianSillouete650yd2013-07-04_zpsf0b1d834.jpg

I hit the edge of knob, my aim point.
JimSillouette650yd2013-07-04_zps6c0ecc11.jpg

All in all we had a blast. A great day at the range.

The thing I'd be most concerned with at this point were I in your shoes, is what you're going to do when he takes up competition shooting in a big way and wants you to buy him a $6K+ setup to shoot (LOL). Seriously, looks like you all had a lot of fun, which is what it's all about. I used to enjoy shooting with my Dad a lot, even though we were just plinking with a .22LR at 50 yds or so. It's a great way to spend a day.

Great story and experience. Thanks for sharing. It brought back great memories of my youngest sons first boar hunt with me a few years back. Oh, and nice shooting by both of you!

@ gstaylorg: Don't worry; he's more interested in cars and girls than rifles. Plus, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a pretty frugal setup, < $3K including the optic. For more info on the rifle see this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...58219-6-5-creedmoor-w-140amax-hand-loads.html

Brian said his highlight was watching the bullet trace hitting the 650yd bullseye on the diamond target. It was a perfect shot, and he didn't mention besting his dad on that one, but I know that was part of his satisfaction. It is great too having a 22LR bolt gun. We shoot that a lot and it's super cheap fun.

@ Arminger: Thanks! I've mentioned hunting hogs to Brian a few times, but so far, he hasn't expressed an interest. But he loves barbecue, both eating and cooking, so maybe soon.

That's great... Some very impressive shooting for their first time past 300 yards. Congrats to you for teaching and to him for meeting the challenge.

Im eager for both of my boys to reach the age I can bring them out. My eldest is not too far off. I think he's ready to start with a 22... His mother (we're separated), very opinionated, hates the idea and is pretty firm against him even being around them. I haven't a clue where to even begin to try and convince her.

Thanks bluto51 & BobD ! [MENTION=69339]BobD[/MENTION]: Depends on his age, maturity. Always, safety first, basic rules of gun safety; tell adults & don't touch if an unattended gun is found, etc.

Brian and I started by taking the NRA Basic Rifle course together. In my opinion training by a qualified and competent adult (this can be the parent too) is a must. Talking about the rules of gun safety isn't nearly enough. It has to get ingrained in one's "muscle memory" by actually doing it over and over for several days, first with dummy or unloaded firearms w/no ammo around, then for real at the range, but under constant close supervision. I'd say when your son(s) is (are) ready to understand and be absolutely serious about gun safety, that's a good time to start. I've no clue how to handle the issue w/his mom. (I've been married 30 years and sometimes it seems like I'm still taking marriage 101 !)