• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Sons of Guns - New Discovery Show

magic647

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2010
NY
Saw some previews for this new show, supposed to premier on Jan 26...the shop on the show is called Red Jacket Firearms in Baton Rouge...anyone ever use them before?

Re: Sons of Guns - New Discovery Show

just as a follow up...i just watched a clip online at discovery.com, and they are basically claiming to be the first ones to come up with the idea of the the "masterkey", (a shotgun mounted under an m-4)...doesnt KAC have the exact same thing called the exact same thing...?

that show looks like it will be gayer than aids....."you gotta work here to see this part", whats voodoo about building a gun?

It made me think of what if American Chopper was filmed in a gunsmiths shop. I don't think it will be worth a damn, but I will watch it and see what it is going to be like.

LL Bastonge (sp??) had a under barrel shotgun mount for the AR platform back in the 80s. A buddy has one, wouldn't be bad if he had a short barreled shotgun but the 19" barrel is a little too long.

"that show looks like it will be gayer than aids....."

Laughing at that comment, but the show might not be half bad. The folks at Discovery will make every little fart that anyone lets turn into a big reality deal. Any show that educates or gets people into guns is cool with me. Better this than "Jersey Shore" or "Real Housewives of wherever..."

Yes, indeed; a reality show about guns. We all know how real that'll be...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe they should do an American Choppers version of GAP!! hahaha </div></div>

Wasn't the show the beginning of the end for the American Choppers shop? They let all the publicity go to their heads and began to turn out overpriced crap instead of focusing on quality and customer service IIRC.

Wouldn't want that to happen at GAP or any other reliable/reputable gunsmith.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longrange****</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe they should do an American Choppers version of GAP!! hahaha </div></div>

Wasn't the show the beginning of the end for the American Choppers shop? They let all the publicity go to their heads and began to turn out overpriced crap instead of focusing on quality and customer service IIRC.

Wouldn't want that to happen at GAP or any other reliable/reputable gunsmith. </div></div>

I can picture Tim(Moon) hitting the camera man with a barrel blank and sending him back to his corner so everyone can work. lol

HAHA It would be cool as hell though knowing that the rifle they were working on while on TV was yours....

Oh shit, I didnt know this was about "red jacket Firearms"

Theres a good chance Cokeman2423 on youtube might make an appearance. (discovery would have to edit out 70% of the shit he says)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packratt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL Bastonge (sp??) had a under barrel shotgun mount for the AR platform back in the 80s. A buddy has one, wouldn't be bad if he had a short barreled shotgun but the 19" barrel is a little too long. </div></div>

500px-PredatorMossberg500-5.jpg

Someone must have had the copyright on "Rednecks with Rifles" so they had to choose Sons of Guns instead.

I actually live in Baton Rouge and they have not really made their mark even locally. Then again I am not an expert on guns, television shows, or the current social pulse.

The formula for this type of show just does not work for firearms. The details that make a firearm great are boring, not worthy for a television audience. So they will have to assemble a cast of characters and do outlandish stuff to keep the general viewing audience happy which in-turn will turn off all the real enthusiasts. We will all be dizzy from rolling our eyes for 22 minutes.

So far it's not too bad but it's not good either. I don't get it, 'you have to work here to see this' and then they show a graphic cut away with all the details - lame.

144Db is not quiet but whatever.

Kinda boring, looks like the director couldn't figure out what to shoot because it ends up just being a girl bitching at her reckless father a bunch and if 3 guys spent a week coming up with that design for that shot gun they're shitty machinists and smiths.

Canon was cool

"this isn't something you can do at home" err, yeah I can and do.

Notice how they never actually machine anything rather every shot is one of them with a Dremel. (ok they just 'tried' to use their Bridgeport)

ROTFL, 30 minutes down, <span style="text-decoration: line-through">not real impressed</span> I want my time back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone must have had the copyright on "Rednecks with Rifles" so they had to choose Sons of Guns instead. </div></div>

+1

this guy obviously has no clue about the tactics of breaching and entries.

I'm pretty sure he didn't buy an M-203. M-203 are 40mm. He bought a shitty 37mm flare launcher that any dickhead can get from cheaper than dirt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magic647</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just as a follow up...i just watched a clip online at discovery.com, and they are basically claiming to be the first ones to come up with the idea of the the "masterkey", (a shotgun mounted under an m-4)...doesnt KAC have the exact same thing called the exact same thing...? </div></div>

I am watching it now and he said "There used to be a masterkey system" and then later he said "I have always been fascinated by the masterkey concept."

He only said it was new to use a Saiga 12.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$24,000?!?!?!?!?

are you fucking serious? </div></div>

I think I know how to solve the municipal debt problem.

that shit was dumber than a bag of dicks.....i only caught the tail end of it and it was retarded....

"How was the transition?" Like that dickhead knows anything about transitioning with weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that shit was dumber than a bag of dicks.....i only caught the tail end of it and it was retarded....

"How was the transition?" Like that dickhead knows anything about transitioning with weapons. </div></div>

From what I saw, his band of high school gunsmiths and his daughter do all the work. It looked like he just sweat too much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: magic647</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just as a follow up...i just watched a clip online at discovery.com, and they are basically claiming to be the first ones to come up with the idea of the the "masterkey", (a shotgun mounted under an m-4)...doesnt KAC have the exact same thing called the exact same thing...? </div></div>
Saige makes one for LE. Glad I missed the show judging from the response.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Saige makes one for LE. Glad I missed the show judging from the response. </div></div>

Ya didn't miss much!!!

This show is horrible. Those guys are a poor representation of gun smiths and shooters. I think they hurt the cause of competent responsible perfesionals in the firearms industry. I hope they lose bussiness due to there obvious stupidity.

Well guys look at the bright side. We now know where not to spend our money. I loved the gayer than a bag of dicks comment. That pretty much summed it up.

I can not beleave i watched a full 30minutes of one show.

I could have been doing something way better.(Haven a tooth pulled)

The purposely miss stated M203 for the giant 37flare gun.

One thing i don't understand but just me is why transition from a shotgun to a sidearm. Even 45auto will not do what a 12gauge will. Thats just me.

I wonder what will be next for Discovery to come with. There ratings must be hurting bad.

BigSky

IDK about that PD, but in my "limited" experience the breacher never enters first. So transition time isnt really a factor. Once the door has been breached regardless if its with a ram or shotgun, they get the hell outta the way.

I'm not saying I'm a fanboy of the show by any means, I watched an episode tonight.

More than anything I just like to see cool guns and people doing awesome stuff with them.

Red Jacket Firearms specializes in a lot of Saiga stuff, they are actually one of the top 2 companies (Tromix being #1)to send your Saiga to for conversion (Generally the 12g)

It may not be a great show and they ARE in Baton Rouge... not Miami lol. So even though they may seem like rednecks (who isnt in Baton Rouge?) they do very high quality work.

They are actually who I planned on sending my Saiga to for conversion about a year ago (way before the show was even a sniff of a scratch) because Tromix is usually backed up by a year when he "opens the books"

Anyways, they arent bad guys & have a presence over on Saiga forums and know the AK system very well. I'm sure they're good smiths with other weapons as well.

Just figured I'd chime in with some knowledgeable experience about the guys since everyone seems to be bashing them.

the show was about what I expected...
what disappointed me about the show as that when I caught a glimpse of the ads for it, I thought the daughter was hot, not so much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IDK about that PD, but in my "limited" experience the breacher never enters first. So transition time isnt really a factor. Once the door has been breached regardless if its with a ram or shotgun, they get the hell outta the way. </div></div>

My thoughts exactly.

The show pissed me off for several reasons, but the main theme was that it perpetuates bullshit rumors and misnomers about gun/suppressor ownership.

From watching that show an average joe would think that guy made a phone call to an average dude and bought a "Grenade launcher" for $1500. He said grenade launcher several times. Not flare launcher...grenade launcher. Maybe the editors somehow dubbed flare launcher with grenade launcher, but it sure as hell looks like he is saying grenade.

144 decibles is hollywood quiet? Why would you say that? You are in a room with a weapon that is as loud as a jet engine and not wearing any hearing protection. And calling it hollywood quiet. Fail.

They mention paperwork when the guy comes to pick up his shotgun, but they certainly dont go into the fact that it will probably be four months before the guy can actually take the weapon home.

Other than that...why spend $2k taking and ultrasound (NOT A GOD DAMN XRAY) of the cannon if you have already decided you will shoot it? I would be damned to shoot a $250,000 piece of history if there is any chance the thing could blow up, kill me, and ruin a historical artifact.

The daughter acting like a bitch towards her dad is a little over the top too.

Hey has anyone ever seen of their suppressed Shotguns, or know anything about them ?

I'd be interested in seeing some details on the suppressed shotgun from the show ?

Oh, and shooting the "grenade launcher" in the parking lot to purposely piss off the neighbors does nothing for our hobby either. These guys are supposed to be pros and they look like irresponsible jackasses.

All I can say is wow. After about the first ten minutes I told my son to turn the channel because their is no sign of intelligent life. Maybe Steven Segal and Red Jacket can team up and do some high speed tactical training classes.

What is it about putting white trash on television these days?!!

Axe Men, Ice Road Truckers, that lame alligator killing show, and now this shit.

Boycott inbound...

Jeez, after all the shit I've read on every gun-related forum about this show I think the value of my Red Jacket SBR just plummeted. It's been completely reliable thus far. I love it.

Ive seen the video on the website, it's pretty quiet, that thing would go quite nicely on my 8" Saiga 12

I am happy for any show that shows guns in a positive light. That being said, It did not look like a place I would go to. It looked like there was very little in the shop in the way of tools other than the equipment. I did not see much in the background as far as work in progress. The whole place looked to me as they tried to spread everything out as far as possible to make it look like there was more there. From the few tool hanging in various places to the guns spread out in ther case up front.
It seems they really like the sagia shotguns. Those would not be my first choice if I was depending on them for my work. I have not seen enough to form an opinion of the ability of the guys working in the back. I did not get to see the whole show yet. I think it was said before. Most people would be bored watching a top shelf smith go about his daily work. They will have to show weird, funny, crazy stuff to keep average peoples interest. I hope the show does well just because.