• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns SOOOOON OOF A....i had my glock cherry popped today

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
son of a bitch!!!

i shot a glock for the first time today. a 17 gen 4.

i had a hatred for glocks. i couldn't stand them. the grip angle, the grip width, length, just the over all feel. they have no soul, no character, feel like bricks, are ugly as hell. shitty triggers. everyone and their mother says, "buy a glock, buy a glock, blah blah blah. glock this, glock that blah blah blah. sigs suck, buy a glock, 1911s suck, but a glock blah blah blah".

damn it!

i liked it...fuck me runnin'.

did i say damn it?

anywho, i went to a rental range today to try out the XDm and S&W up against my sig 226 (love my sigs!). all 9mm. i did this because i want to get into IDPA and USPSA this year. i can see the short comings of the sig, the DA/SA, and as much as i try, i still inadvertently ride the slide catch. killing paper has gotten so mundane and humdrum. time to get serious.

so i started out with the XDm 5.25. i had one about a year ago, and i quickly remembered why i got rid of it. they are nice guns. they are accurate, well built. but they just don't fit me. i'm done with it. fool me once... for my opinion, if i give my sig a 10, i give the XDm a 4.5.

then came the S&W pro. i liked the ergos. i really liked the "fish scale" serrations on the slide. it gave me positive traction. the mag was a little goofy to load though. i am not sure why. also, dropping the mag wasn't very positive. maybe because they are rental guns and they haven't been cleaned in who knows how long. again, sig a 10, the S&W a 7.5.

as i was packing up and returning the SW to the counter, i looked down as saw the glocks. a brief thought pops into my head, "fucking POS fanboy ghetto as bricks".

then i look again.

F-it. i ask the guy for a 34, but it was a gen 3. now this is where my disdain for the grip comes in. i can't stand the grip on a gen 3. i have held the gen 4s and i could feel the difference right away. and for a brief moment they were not too bad. but in my mid they where still ghetto ass glocks, so i hate them with a passion!

so, F-it. i ask the guy if he has a gen 4 17 and they did. so i get my box of ammo and the queer as glock.

BAM!.....BAM!..... BA-BAM! BAM!.....BAM! huh.......well fuck me runnin'.

i liked it!

very natural point of aim. pretty cozy on the grip after all. and the shitty trigger? actually not shitty at all!

my groups with my sig were half the size as the glocks, but i only had 50 rounds thru it. whereas my sigs (226s, 229s, 225s), upwards of 3000 in the last year.

ho-hum, as i sag my shoulders, hang my head in shame and kick rocks.

damn it!

Welcome aboard!!! I know how you feel i started with a m&p but eventually i had to go glock

Don't be ashamed, I was that way at first to. I am in no way claiming Glock to be the end all beat all, but they serve their purpose. For me they just naturally shoot (same as the m&p's) and I get too good a price to be able to justify any other. I do REALLY REALLY miss my para though. It was like I found a part of my hand that was missing at birth (and idiot me sold it).

Last edited:
I love Sig. I have and still carry Sig for work. LOVE 1911's.

That being said, my first handgun was a Glock. I like them and I definitely have an appreciation for the type of job and role they fill.

I always use to grab the 1911 and stuff in the pants when I carry about. When the Gen4 Glock came out, it was a huge difference in grip feel. I bought one and threw nightsights on it. I'm very sad to say that the 1911 has been collecting dust every since. Everytime I head out the door, I usually end up stuffing the Glock in the pants sans holster. They did a great job redesigning the Glock frame.

Badass pistol that can go to hell and back.

Glock= simple, robust, reliable and accurate (enough).

What's not to love :)

Glock= simple, robust, reliable and accurate (enough).

What's not to love :)

My thoughts exactly. I also think the grip angle on Glocks naturally promotes a proper "thumbs forward" grip, as well as excellent sight alignment. Yeah man, I've got three Glocks, each with multiple conversions. Love them, and would carry them into combat any day of the week. Great pistols, even if they are plastic!

My thoughts exactly. I also think the grip angle on Glocks naturally promotes a proper "thumbs forward" grip, as well as excellent sight alignment.

i noticed that right away when i was doing dry fire drills in my shooting bay to get accustomed to it.

i haven't handled one with a purpose until today. the previous times was at the LGS, and they don't take to kindly to doing tap/rack drills with inventory!

on thing i never understood is everyone keeps talking about "the role they fill". what role is that exactly?

on thing i never understood is everyone keeps talking about "the role they fill". what role is that exactly?

A gun that works no matter what. May not shoot the tightest groups or look the best, but when it comes down to it they are hard to induce a failure. I'm not saying they don't fail, but the work way more times than not.

so let's say i decide to pick one up, which i probably will, it would be the 17 or the 34.

does the extra 1" sight radius really make that much of a difference as far as accuracy? intended use will to shot the shit out of it at the range and do some IDPA/USPSA competing along with my sigs and 1911s.

either way i go, it will get a fiber optic front post and a plain black rear.

First glock I bought was for my wife . A guy at a LGS that I trust said it would fire no matter what . I wanted this for my wife . After shooting it a few times I got one for myself and love it . I was told to collect the rest but carry the glock . I thankfully I have never had to use it , but it's a warm and fuzzy feeling that it is there for me when I need it .

Imo every bit helps (in the way of accuracy) if you are going to compete. A lot of it comes down to your comfort as well. I shoot much better in all aspects with the smaller models than I do the larger. Ymmv

I am an HK guy myself, but since I live on the road I take 2 Glocks with me. I can afford to loose them if something happens. I feel they are very trustworthy, not too expensive, and mostly since I travel, I can buy mags anywhere or get serviced anywhere if something was to happen.

It's a trade off...G34 has a longer sight radius, G17 has a faster slide lock...

So if you plan on running a RMR or the like, go with a G17.

I shoot both pretty much the same and I'm a little faster out the holster with my G17.

The role is that of the ugly brute you can depend on. As much as we want to say that gun "X" is the best for such and such, or gun "Y" would perform the best in this function, at the end of the day, the damn Glock is the most reliable, functional, and is a good representation of why we like the KISS principle. It excels at not being a specialized weapon, but a multi-facet weapon.

Reminds me of a quote:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

I too was anti glock. Shot sigs and loved them. Still do. Plastic guns weren't real guns after all. Then I looked at the 800 dollar sig and the 400 dollar glock and said why not give it a try. Own two now with intentions for at least two more. When I can have fun at the range with 3 or 4 glocks vs 1 or 2 sigs. More guns is always more fun. Plus I've yet to jam one. I still will have another sig or two and probably more 1911s but there is space in the safe for more glocks until I'm independently wealthy.

A gun that works no matter what. May not shoot the tightest groups or look the best, but when it comes down to it they are hard to induce a failure. I'm not saying they don't fail, but the work way more times than not.

They do fail, with bad ammo...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They do fail, with bad ammo...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes they do, as does any autoloader (with bad ammo). I've also listened to failures of springs and guide rods. As I said before failure is almost a given in anything man made. Some just less so than others.

One other downside to the Glock is its rifling. They do not recommend lead ammo (only jacketed). I have heard of others that fire lead with no issue, but Glock does warn against it.

Yep, I'm another. I must have had swollen hands or something the first time I picked up a Glock because years later when I shot the G17L I bought one immediately. I have an M&P 9 and 45 and I love both guns just as much as I love my Glock. I can see two 19's and a maybe a 10mm in my future.

I was the same way with Glocks, thought they were ghetto and for tards that thought since SEAL's shoot them underwater that it's what they needed. I later came to appreciate their utter reliability, but having learned to shoot handguns with first a browning buck mark and then a 1911 45 I just couldn't get over how the grip angle and feel just wasn't natural or "right." The other two pointed like my finger. I could hit just fine with the glock but you guys know what I mean, it wasn't an extension of me.

Found out the M&P has the reliability of a Glock and doesn't point like a block and I have been shooting them ever since.

Then when I started teaching and advising friends and family on how to shoot I told them to shoot a bunch of different ones and get what felt natural. A couple went with the G19 and shoot them really well and I think it was a great choice. I will probably own a Gen 3 19 or 17 again in OD if I can find one.

I figured that was what you were getting at, but i had to put in the lead thing anyway so.......

Anyway some would like to think they won't even fail then. But reality is a bit more harsh than that.

One other downside to the Glock is its rifling. They do not recommend lead ammo (only jacketed). I have heard of others that fire lead with no issue, but Glock does warn against it.

Luckily that is largely fixable with 100-150 dollar traditionally rifled barrel. Still in it for less than the cost of many pistols plus there are tons of conversion barrels available.

Luckily that is largely fixable with 100-150 dollar traditionally rifled barrel. Still in it for less than the cost of many pistols plus there are tons of conversion barrels available.

Another plus for a Glock..... lots of companies make replacement/upgrade parts.

They are practically dishwasher safe.. why would you hate a gun that says F* it to safety switches and is dishwasher safe? :p

They are practically dishwasher safe.. why would you hate a gun that says F* it to safety switches and is dishwasher safe? :p

According to Glock (back in 1993 or so) they are IN FACT "dishwasher safe", they just ask that you don't use the "high heat" function on the dishwasher.

I'm with you Corey. I was carrying a W German 226 when I went to the Glock Armorers course in the 90s. I'd played with the Glocks and to me nothing in the world was as good as my Sig. I carried the Sig on-duty for years and was one of only 2 guys on the Dept that carried one.

Skip forward a number of years and a new Dept which issued the Glock. I quickly came to appreciate the consistent trigger compared to the DA/SA. I'd started out carrying a Colt King Cobra on duty before autos were authorized, so the Glock trigger instantly "took me home".

I had 2 malfunctions on the range one afternoon with my G22. The first 2 I'd EVER had in 9yrs of carrying that pistol. I checked the ammo to verify there was nothing wrong then walked into the range building and told our Range Master there was something wrong with my pistol. I didn't ASK him, I TOLD him. I flat out knew something was definitely wrong. It was like waking up one morning with the sun rising in the West.
I had worn out the recoil spring. I took pride in being the first guy to have done it (shooting so much with that pistol). We popped a new spring in it and I was back to the races. With ANY other pistol I would have said "meh, it happens". With the Glock I positively KNEW something wasn't right.

I still love my Sigs, and my 1911s, but the Glock is the pistol I always have with me. For a pure carry gun they're unbeatable. I remember standing in the rain for 14hrs at an event when I was carrying my Sig thinking the whole time that it was going to be rusted to shit by the time I got home to clean it (it was). I'm embarrassed that after days like that with the Glock I just threw my duty belt on the chair and went to bed.

They're only ghetto with the side-mounted sights :)

on the sig forum was a saying: you may not publicize it but you will end up owning a glock

Ease of use is a big reason I keep one for a nightstand gun on both sides of the bed (no safeties to fool with if you are awaken). His and hers protection.

so let's say i decide to pick one up, which i probably will, it would be the 17 or the 34.

does the extra 1" sight radius really make that much of a difference as far as accuracy? intended use will to shot the shit out of it at the range and do some IDPA/USPSA competing along with my sigs and 1911s.

either way i go, it will get a fiber optic front post and a plain black rear.

For purely the shits-n-grins route / competition, I'd go the G34. They point and balance VERY nicely. I shoot a G35 in USPSA and it's served me VERY well. In fact, i sold the STI race gun because the Glock served me ALL the purpose for a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong, the STI was a sweet pistol, but I know how to abuse/repair/tweak and mess with my Glock.

If you had ANY thought of CCW, then I'd lean towards G17/19 - depending on your physical size and what's easy to conceal.

Now just buy one and practice (dry fire and live fire!)

-G45

The no frills/extraneous bullshit to malfunction/snag, extremely reliable, consistent trigger pulls, wear it everyday for years in all types of weather while occasionally rolling around with motherfuckers on the concrete and/or mud role.

It's a trade off...G34 has a longer sight radius, G17 has a faster slide lock...

So if you plan on running a RMR or the like, go with a G17.

I shoot both pretty much the same and I'm a little faster out the holster with my G17.

what do you mean it has faster slide lock?

RMR, is that one of those red dot optics that the SW c.o.r.e. is all about?

i was thinking the same thing about being faster with a shorter slide.

i read somewhere, i think i did at least, that the 17/34 frame is that same and you can buy a 17 and swap out a 34 slide. is this true? (now that i think about it, i could have just googled it, but i already typed in my question, so i'll just leave it there!)

what do you mean it has faster slide lock?

RMR, is that one of those red dot optics that the SW c.o.r.e. is all about?

i was thinking the same thing about being faster with a shorter slide.

i read somewhere, i think i did at least, that the 17/34 frame is that same and you can buy a 17 and swap out a 34 slide. is this true? (now that i think about it, i could have just googled it, but i already typed in my question, so i'll just leave it there!)

1.Slide cycles faster, hence faster follow up shots (most race Glocks are built with a 17 slide). Nominal feature but worth noting.

2. Yes sir, once your mechanics/natural POI are established, a red dot is easy to find (co witness with your iron sites). Therefore, sight radius has little impact since your using a dot.

3. yep, same frame.

Last edited:
I've carried 1911's for the last 7 years and have been spoiled by my NHC Talon and Dan Wesson CCO. Last time I shot a Glock prior to last year was a gen one that my buddy carries and I just never liked them. Grip angle was wrong and I couldn't stand the look of them either.

Fast Forwatd to a week after Newtown. I was convinced that new reg's were on thier way and found a smoking deal on a new Gen4 G17. Figured I buy it and see what I would be able to flip it for once the regs passed. Hell, I didn't even handle the thing at the store, it was going home and into the safe. Of course, like a moron, I decided to start to fondle it and low and behold. The grip feels amazing, hell she points right where I want her to like she knows what I'm thinking. FUCK! She ain't goinh anywhere. Since I've lost 20lbs she's my go-to carry gun. I gotta say that it feels rather reassuring to leave the house with 35 rounds on me.

I've since done the .25$ trigger job and I must say that after fully breaking down a Glock I have even more respect for the utter simplicity of the design. Glocks and 1911's....Love em both.

The 34 should also come with a "-" connector from the factory compared to the "." connector that will be on the stock 17 Gen 4s so the 34 will have a lighter trigger from the factory. In Glock labeling it is 5.5lbs vs. 4.5lbs. I stopped into a LGS and if I wasn't poor a used 34 Gen 4 would have followed me home today to go with the 19 and 17 I already own.

Shot my first Glock 19 at 16. Purchased one on my 21st birthday. Best carry gun on the planet IMHO. Maybe its soo big for a truely small frame person but I have no issues concealing it.

son of a bitch!!!

i shot a glock for the first time today. a 17 gen 4.

I liked it...fuck me runnin'.

I had a hatred for glocks, damn it! i liked it...fuck me runnin'.

did i say damn it, fuck me runnin' ?

damn it!

Sorry man, I had to do it.

I've been carrying Glocks since 1992 or so (SPD Days) and I have to tell you, I hated them too at one time, until I shot one. My concealed EDC is a Gen 4 Glock G23 and the trainer to it is a Gen 3 G19. Both are spot on accurate but, the G23 rocks and does so very solidly.

One area that the Glock dominates in is they have one weight / length trigger pull, every shot.

I also run a S&W Shield 9mm, M&P9 & M&P40, all of which are just as reliable and solid as the Glocks I have. As far as the G34/35, I'd skip both and opt for the G17 or G19 if 9mm is what you want. I had a G34 and to be honest, my G19 hung with it and had a better trigger from day one. I sold the G34 and never looked back.

I was at the range the other day with another instructor that had a G35. The trigger was so stiff that you got front site twitch during dry fire practice. We changed the connector to a 3.5# Lone Wolf and changed the striker spring to a slightly lighter one. The trigger now brakes at 4-4.5#'s and front site twitch is gone. That's another great thing about the Glock, trigger jobs are quick, fairly cheap and definitely a DIY. The S&W trigger jobs are also easy but do take a slight bit more care and time to complete.

Alibi, a series 70 1911 trigger is king with no one even close....................just sayin.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side. Haters gonna hate but the Glock & M&P's are made for gunfighters, they flat out work and go bang every time.

Last edited:
My first Glock was a G22 and then it started!! I have other handguns but they are mostly safe queens.

Attachments

• P1070517.jpg
    P1070517.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 24
im still a 1911 guy. Ive tried the gen 3's and 4's. They just dont fit me. The XD fits me much better than a glock. However, give me a G18c, and ill have some fun :D

I've got a Gen. 4 20, which is very similar to a 21 and I can just barely pull the slide back with my hand. What kind of recoil assembly do you run to be able to rack the slide without using your free hand??? That must have been Bruce Lee reincarnated...