• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sorting LC brass by production year

2tuf4u

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2007
Ne
My OCD is killing me (figuratively, of course). Do you guys sort by year? Has anyone seen an advantage when used in an AR platform? Any production years better than others based on weight variation, reloading longevity, etc. I am ready to mix and reload a number of prod years having a couple dozen cases or less. Anyone looking to swap sorted prod yr brass? Thx for your comments---joe

Re: Sorting LC brass by production year

I sort by year when I'm loading for accuracy. For plinking/55gr stuff it's run it mixed. WCC84 is most consistant I've got, the 5 pieces I spot checked for water cap were all 30.5.

Yes I seperate by year. It does make a difference. Shooting LC 07 in my SPRish. If you ever run across any LC 91 treat it like gold.

Sounds like brass cases have vintage years like wine.
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TriggerHappy44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like brass cases have vintage years like wine.
cool.gif
</div></div>

Yeah and you can get addicted to both.
grin.gif

The year matters? I'm new to reloading but just got a bunch of LC 79 Match..... how is that stuff?

I've never had any of the LC "match" or "LR" that was bad... at all... but some years of regular LC ball ammo brass is better (more consistent) then other years.. like as good as any "match" brass out there

I really wouldn't use regular LC if I was looking for the kind of accuracy that I think your looking for. Sure the match and LR LC is great, but, if I'm looking for accuracy to the point of sorting regular LC by year then I would use Lapua brass or something along those lines.

In my M1A,..I put everybody in the pool,.LC,..WCC, RP, etc.,,load it up and let it fly.

Lapua 223 brass has t done well for me inanAR. I have used LC brass however with great success. Even in a bolt gun I get the best accuracy from prepped LC.

Your OCD may yet be the death of you.

Sorting by year of headstamp presupposes they change forming dies on Jan 1 and I doubt that's true. It also presumes everything made by the same dies remains constant for that full year so some years are automatically better or worse than others; I know that's not true.

OCD--Isn't that just a polite description for a tendency to pick fly shit out of pepper?

I bought 3000 ofc from Hi-tech a couple years ago and sorted them by year, then weight sorted them and they all wound up mixed together.

So, what does LC do on January 1st that makes one year different from the last?

They change the number on the headstamp die. Don't think the forming dies for the body/neck are going to be changed until they are worn beyond spec.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7x57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They change the number on the headstamp die. Don't think the forming dies for the body/neck are going to be changed until they are worn beyond spec. </div></div>

I know, there was a subtle touch of sarcasm in my post.