• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Source for M14/M1A Match Operating Rods???

Re: Source for M14/M1A Match Operating Rods???

Go over to m14 firing line forum-realy no animal as a NM m14 op rod-The SAK op rods are one piece-considered top of the heap to some. Have used SAK-WIN-HRA-TRW-all have been fine! Firing Line is good m14 stuff! barry

Call Ron Smith at SEI. He just started making some. Got it on my last rifle from him and I have been pretty impressed with it so far.

Badger Ord. makes a nice one. I bought two, and they're very good quality (like all of their products).

Operating Rod or Operating Rod Spring Guide? AFAIK there has not yet been an Operating Rod that was built to "match" specifications, just recently there have been some newly manufactured operating rods introduced such as the Smith Ent. part. The operating rod spring guide is another story, the standard mil spec part is a stamped piece of steel that while it does the job can be improved upon. There are several manufacturers producing a "match" grade operating rod spring guide, I have two from Sadlak Ind. and they work very well in my rifles. The biggest difference I have noticed is that they make the magazine easier to insert and lock into place, and maybe a little easier to extract as well. YMMV.

The operating rod is the part that's pushed by the piston and cycles the bolt. The spring is partly buried inside it.

The spring guide is enclosed by the spring itself... and guides it as the action cycles.

I assume you mean the latter.

Hmmm, I too assumed the OP meant operating rod spring guide, because I've never heard of a match operating rod. If they're out there, I've never heard of em'! Stranger things have happened, of course. If I was to get another actual operating rod, I'd follow the advice above and get one of the new Smith Enterprise ones. I've had nothing but good experiences with all of their products, and unlike the one being offered by Fulton (of Korean manufacture, I believe) the SEI stuff is all made right here in the US.

this is what I am talking about (from Fulton Armory Page):

"The final op rod design is that with drawing number 7790722-RA (Remington Arms) or -SA (Springfield Armory). I like to call it the "77" op rod, but as it is often found stamped "NM" it is widely known as the National Match op rod. It had a subtle change to the tube's curve to fit it somewhat more tightly around the barrel. This design was originally intended for and used in the building of Type 2 National Match rifles at Springfield. When the supply of good op rods dried up, this design was used for general rebuilds in the '60's. Quite a few went to Korea and have come back again as parts and on rifles. You'll see them both with and without the "NM" marking, but the rods are identical nonetheless."

guess I need to look for 60's op rods?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juniorARshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this is what I am talking about (from Fulton Armory Page):

"The final op rod design is that with drawing number 7790722-RA (Remington Arms) or -SA (Springfield Armory). I like to call it the "77" op rod, but as it is often found stamped "NM" it is widely known as the National Match op rod. It had a subtle change to the tube's curve to fit it somewhat more tightly around the barrel. This design was originally intended for and used in the building of Type 2 National Match rifles at Springfield. When the supply of good op rods dried up, this design was used for general rebuilds in the '60's. Quite a few went to Korea and have come back again as parts and on rifles. You'll see them both with and without the "NM" marking, but the rods are identical nonetheless."

guess I need to look for 60's op rods?

</div></div>
I just checked the Fulton website, I read the info you have posted. The reference is concerning M1 Garand Operating Rods produced post WWII. The M14 Op Rod is entirely different. There were 4 manufacturers of M14 rifles during their production; TRW, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson, and of course Sprinfield Armory. There were some M14 rods made as replacement parts after the production of rifles ended around 1963, one is the SAK or General Dynamics and the other is a rod made by Mercury Machine & Tool. The only rod that is really the best one is the one that fits your rifle correctly and is not worn out or a reweld. Some prefer the TRW rod due to it's construction and there has been some reference to the Mercury rod as being substandard in comparison to the others. Any 60's era military Operating Rod is now a valuable piece to the collectors, if you want a new part that will do the job well I would look at the Smith Enterprise part.

As Wilshire said that's a Garand Operation Rod. The 77 op rods are not any better than a standard 65 series anyway. The 77 spec's are a little tighter thats all. A bend in the 65 that had a varience of .005 has only .003 in the 77 series. The material used is the same. After shooting a few hundred rounds you can't tell them apart as for deflection and strenght.

As for M14 rods any of the GI one will do as long as you take care and don't buy a welded up piece of crap. And the welded ones are out there still. I picked up a used M1A not to long ago and it had a welded GI rod. I missed it on first inspection as the outer surface machineing was very good. The beveled inner surface is where it showed up as a weld job. It has now meet it death by vise and saw. The opereation rod is to important a part to trust to a hack job part. There's a guy out of Bama that works the Atlanta gun shows and I would guess the Biringham shows as well that has some new in wrapper GI rods. Price was a little high but new is hard to find.

Guys
thanks for straightening me out - I will be sure to look for the weld and avoid it.