• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Source for Savage Firing Pins?

JLM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2008
WY
Gents,

Just an FYI before you say call SSS, I allready checked with those guys. They have no large diameter firing pins in stock anymore.

Here's the deal. Day before (and two weeks before my hard to draw Elk hunt starts) my stock gets here from McM, I cracked my firing pin in my old 10FP. It's one of the older large diameter firing pins before Savage changed to a .100" pin along with the resultant change in the bolt face.

So, I make a quick call to Savage thinking this will be no problem, I bet I can get a couple pins (so I've got a spare on hand too). Well, I was WRONG about that. They will only ship them to an FFL holder, OR I was given the option of sending them the whole rifle back two weeks before this hunt. Frankly there is no way they can turn the thing around that fast in my opinion, regardless of what they say.

Next step was to have a local FFL holder call them, who has bought guns and actions direct from the Factory and has a license on file with them. HE gets told that he needs to have a 'Gunsmithing FFL' (what the FUCK is that exactly
wink.gif
) in order to be able to order firing pins direct from the factory. Think about the absurdity of that statement. He can order a complete gun but can't get a damn firing pin?

Anyway, enough ranting. Do you cats know anywhere I can score a couple of the old large diameter firing pins for a .308? Setting the pin protrusion isn't rocket science and I'm reasonably certain I can do it without causing the earth to split in half or cause a major tsunami
grin.gif
After all they make these little things called FP Protrusion Gauges.

Goat fornication.....big time....

Thanks
smile.gif

Re: Source for Savage Firing Pins?

check with midway or brownells, if nothing, change the bolt head and firing pin to the new style and make sure to check your headspace after doing so.

Re: Source for Savage Firing Pins?

Looks like Midway has em, but I'd be willing to bet they are the smaller ones.

While I like your suggestion, that's the price of a new bolt head, the bolt head retaining pin, the pin, a bbl nut wrench if headspace does need reset, and a set of gauges.

The pin itself is a much cheaper and quicker solution.

I appreciate your reply thou, thanks.....