• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision South Carolina Thermal Hunters

SCGunner84

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2018
I was just trying to see if there’s any members located anywhere close to me. I’d like to look at some thermals in person.

I’m upstate. Pickens
Mind if I throw my name in the hat for that? I live in Anderson. The hogs have completely destroyed my pastures and I have to do something. Looking through a couple will let me justify the cost or at least pick what I need. Her e is what I'm working with . Open field with some tall grass. Hogs mainly but the occasional coyote it they show up. No cows or calves to differentiate from. 250yd will be the longest shot with 100yd being average.

I hunt Bethune area, Kershaw County use an entry level Pulsar RXQ30 Trail, hog shots 100 or less, typically 50 yards.

What do you think the I.
I hunt Bethune area, Kershaw County use an entry level Pulsar RXQ30 Trail, hog shots 100 or less, typically 50 yards.
what do you think the target I.D. Range is for that thermal?

there are many more experienced at the thermal game than I am but I wanted a sub 2k entry level thermal. It has fixed focus at 50 yards so following some other tips, I have it zeroed at 50 and can shoot out past a hundred yards no problem. When you zoom it 3.2 and then 6.4 you loose resolution. 3.2 is ok but 6.4 is real grainy. My hunting set ups are 60 to 100 yards on pig feeders. I have not tried it for open Coyote hunts yet but if you did that all the time, I can see moving up in price point.

i like it for spotting, it works good in all light conditions and I just set it up on a second rifle and zeroed on a hand warmer and then was make consistent kill hits on a small black bullseye target at a 100 yards. I haven’t used the PIP function much.

hope this helps.

there are many more experienced at the thermal game than I am but I wanted a sub 2k entry level thermal. It has fixed focus at 50 yards so following some other tips, I have it zeroed at 50 and can shoot out past a hundred yards no problem. When you zoom it 3.2 and then 6.4 you loose resolution. 3.2 is ok but 6.4 is real grainy. My hunting set ups are 60 to 100 yards on pig feeders. I have not tried it for open Coyote hunts yet but if you did that all the time, I can see moving up in price point.

i like it for spotting, it works good in all light conditions and I just set it up on a second rifle and zeroed on a hand warmer and then was make consistent kill hits on a small black bullseye target at a 100 yards. I haven’t used the PIP function much.

hope this helps.
Yea man thanks for the info, think I’m going to look for an XQ38 at the minimum if the wife will let me use part of the ol tax return on a thermal lol.

Haven't been on the site for some time but figured I would check it out again.

I live in Charleston but hunt near Ruffin SC.

I have some thermals you can check out.

Trijicon Reap-ir 35mm
Bae Utm
Flir breach
CNVD-T

My brother has Skeet-rL and Reap-ir 60mm

Reactions: Hootiewho
I’m in Oconee.

PVS-31a
SkeetIRx
KAC UNS LR A2 WP
L3 CNVD-LR WP
RAPTAR S ES
ATTILA 200
LA-5 UHP

I am out several nights a week chasing coyotes or hogs.

Attachments

• 01A135F0-AAA9-4E5B-BC36-4D82B8139AB9.jpeg
    01A135F0-AAA9-4E5B-BC36-4D82B8139AB9.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 67
  • E267F257-B322-4AA4-BAB7-28A5A53DBDC2.jpeg
    E267F257-B322-4AA4-BAB7-28A5A53DBDC2.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 0B27499B-A726-444C-9A8E-7B7991E00B33.jpeg
    0B27499B-A726-444C-9A8E-7B7991E00B33.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 54
  • F1D6F248-69E8-4222-B41B-63246E65E542.jpeg
    F1D6F248-69E8-4222-B41B-63246E65E542.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 0CE88993-4BF9-4DE4-8363-856327717C6B.jpeg
    0CE88993-4BF9-4DE4-8363-856327717C6B.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 58
  • D1F1303D-3D96-43F0-B2D7-2B8D13C4DB5E.jpeg
    D1F1303D-3D96-43F0-B2D7-2B8D13C4DB5E.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Reactions: StihlTech
FWIW I am about to list a BAE UTM for sale for a buddy of mine here in the upstate.

View through scope and a trail cam video at the feeder of that same hog being shot. Video jumps at the feeder for some reason when the shot goes off but you can hear the stanky leg death grunt.

I'm in Pickens County. A neighbor just had their side yard completely torn up overnight by hogs rooting. Another neighbor had a black lab gutted by hogs and had to be put down. That was a shame, he was a real good natured dog.

I don't have IR but I've got a 2nd Gen NOD I could throw on a rifle to help out with any de-infestation.

Reactions: StihlTech
I'm in Pickens County. A neighbor just had their side yard completely torn up overnight by hogs rooting. Another neighbor had a black lab gutted by hogs and had to be put down. That was a shame, he was a real good natured dog.

I don't have IR but I've got a 2nd Gen NOD I could throw on a rifle to help out with any de-infestation.

I’m currently watching/hunting a cattle farm near Norris a 1-2 evenings a week. If you need a hand with those pigs, have toys will travel.

I’m currently watching/hunting a cattle farm near Norris a 1-2 evenings a week. If you need a hand with those pigs, have toys will travel.

Sadly, both neighbors are on 1-2 acre lots with more road frontage than depth. I don't know who owns the land behind them or I'd try to get access to get a crack at them.

I'd love to go after hogs in the off season and certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity during deer season but I don't know any owners of decent sized tracts of huntable land. For deer I go ~15-20 miles to WMA lands and stay home and watch football on Sundays. :cautious:

For those unfamiliar with SC game laws, public land is off limits for hunting on Sundays. For those who work for a living, it cuts hunting down to one day a week.

Sadly, both neighbors are on 1-2 acre lots with more road frontage than depth. I don't know who owns the land behind them or I'd try to get access to get a crack at them.

I'd love to go after hogs in the off season and certainly wouldn't pass up the opportunity during deer season but I don't know any owners of decent sized tracts of huntable land. For deer I go ~15-20 miles to WMA lands and stay home and watch football on Sundays. :cautious:

For those unfamiliar with SC game laws, public land is off limits for hunting on Sundays. For those who work for a living, it cuts hunting down to one day a week.

The county tax website should give you the other property owner’s info or hunting apps like onX will do that as well. I have found about 90% of folks want pigs gone and usually have no problem giving you permission if you say “Hey look, the hogs are coming from that creek on your place and tearing my yard up. Can I kill them?”

That video about with all the pigs feeding; you’d be surprised how close that was to 3 homes if I showed you. I killed over 20 out of there. Getting up in a stand and shooting down on them once they would start feeding. They literally rooted up the old man who owns the place’s flower garden right by his house. I told the other 2 home owners what I was doing and all wanted them gone. It was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Reactions: Howland
Shelled corn and crushed skeet.

We run automated trips. We want them all dead, not just a few.

Reactions: Hootiewho
I need a clip on

I went through a clip on phase. Then I realized I was better off with dedicated thermal setups or at least quick attach thermals and scopes. I think the main reason was weight. I ended up trading off the clip on thermal and sold the Pvs 27. Kept the Pvs 30 because, well, gotta keep something lol and still have a Patrol thermal I could use as a clip on, although thats my least favorite mode with it.

what kind of clip on you looking into getting?