• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

South Dakota Report - Just Got Back

RMB

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2019
My son and I Just got back from SD shooting Prairie Dogs on the Rosebud Reservation...We normally go in mid June but couldn't go last year as the Rosebud Tribe shut down due to the Covid BS. Anyway, had a great time....LOTS of dogs as no one shot last year and the pups were not out yet! Too Early.
The weather was great....40's in the AM and 60's in the afternoons....Wind was not too bad...10 to 15 mph. The roads were in good shape as not too much rain.......so didn't tear up my truck....

Shot the first day on a town from 300 to 700 yards and the second day from 200 to 1,400 yards.....

Shot from about 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM both days....between the two of us we when through about 1,800 rounds. Calibers were 223, 243, 308, 6MM CM and 6MM AR/Grendel. Mostly 223! The guide helped with calling/spotting shots so this really helped.

The guide was GREAT (you need a guide on the reservation). The food was great! The price was more than fair.....and we have a second shoot (4 days) planned for Mid June.

Ran into some guys that were shooting near Pierre and they said the same thing...lot of dogs.......

Got a lot of work to do in the reloading room to be ready in about 5 weeks!

Yeah had great time...the only thing that went wrong was the extractor on the 6mm AR broke the second day.

My first few years of shooting there were great, lots of dogs etc. Then the lying started with the guides and them getting shit faced while we shot.
Switched to WY after that. Glad it worked out for you

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Can either of you pm me with guide and area info. I’d love to take the kids on a p-dog hunt but have no experience with these areas

Reactions: Heartstopper
People pay to shoot prairie dogs? On a reservation? How things have changed. I can remember people paying me to shoot prairie dogs and gophers.

On one hand I am happy to see a little bit of capitalism in an area generally devoid of it (at least where I live), on the other I am genuinely surprised that is a business.

Reactions: woogie_man
This guide is a famer/rancher as well as a guide....deer, turkey, pronghorn, etc.....he (and his sons) work the guiding into their other responsibilities.

Reactions: shields shtr
This guide is a famer/rancher as well as a guide....deer, turkey, pronghorn, etc.....he (and his sons) work the guiding into their other responsibilities.
He farms and ranches on the reservation? That is a rarity on the reservations where I live, not very much utilization of the land for positive purpose. It does happen, but it is the exception and not the rule. Good on em and great to see a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Now I kinda wanna go shoot some prairie dogs.

So addicting,,,,,lol

Attachments

• 7656BD19-87D4-4A67-945B-DC891957B1F1.png
    7656BD19-87D4-4A67-945B-DC891957B1F1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 79