• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing South Texas hunt

h4everything

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
OK
Guys I was fortunate enought to get to go down around Sonora TX to shoot some exotics, predators, and turkeys, damn turkeys mananged to elude us but everything else wasnt wiley enough.

Managed to get my first bowkill with my new Z7. It was a Corsican ewe and I got her @ 35 yards and she didn't go another 20. It was pretty cool.

Ewebowkill.jpg

She went into the freezer. Anyone ever eat any of these? I was thinking cook it like leg of lamb? Never have eaten one before and just heard bad things about the meat. Open to suggestions.

That afternoon it got really hot so we went for a siesta then to another ranch and managed o get into some catalina goats (read feral but wild as hell)and some pigs, I got a nive 150# boar and he went straight to the freezer. no pics of him. The 223 AR was more than enough for the goat and hog. everything one shot kill with plain ole 55 grain 55 FMJ. really suprised with the terminal performance.

Then went out that night and called for predators. Shot a couple gray foxes and a truck load of coons. Never realized how easy there are to call in at night. I didn't have my camera but the AR was breathing some fire.

Next day after nursing the hangover we went out and chase some more rams and I was fortunate enough to harvest a full curl cross ram. He was really nice and fell to the 308 168 SMK at 90 yard. The SMK sure are good at killing stuff. Did get a nice mount of him. I was a bit skeptical going down there on how wild the rams would be but there were very hard to hunt. I felt that it was a true trophy. Hopefully I'll get to go next year.

IMG_2587.jpg

All in all managed to shoot 5 species and killed 11 animals all together. good hunt

Re: South Texas hunt

Don't know anything about your ewe but that boar is gonna stink like hell when you cook him, unless he was cut and fed out for about 3-4 months before hand.

Nice shooting and sounds like it was a lot of fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RebelYell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't know anything about your ewe but that boar is gonna stink like hell when you cook him, unless he was cut and fed out for about 3-4 months before hand.

Nice shooting and sounds like it was a lot of fun. </div></div>

boar will smell bad. ewe is good but never prepped it myself.

Hog meat is fine if you let the meat soak in a cooler with ice water and vinegar for a few days and drain the blood out a few times in between. Wild pork on the green egg is one of my favorite meals!

We go get a bottle of white vinegar and use it on our deer. We fill the cooler up with ice and the put in a little vinegar. I don't have a good percentage for your, but experiment with it and you will find what works for you. I would go easy on it to start out. We will add vinegar each time we drain the meat. Also, if you leave the meat on the same side, the side touching the bottom will turn color if it sits too long in the concentrated vinegar.