• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Southwest Ammo reloads

Pvt_Snowballs

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2008
USA
Anyone have any range reports or experience using this option? Heard nothing but good things about their stuff. Any info is appreciated

Thanks!

Re: Southwest Ammo reloads

My fps has varied greater than their non-reloads. The original ammo I bought from them was 175 SMS and shot at 2700fps. Between rounds the fps never varied by more than 30 fps. I sent 300 rounds back to be reloaded and those rounds hav varied by as much as 60fps. Good price but in my opinion the quality isn't quite there on the reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My fps has varied greater than their non-reloads. The original ammo I bought from them was 175 SMS and shot at 2700fps. Between rounds the fps never varied by more than 30 fps. I sent 300 rounds back to be reloaded and those rounds hav varied by as much as 60fps. Good price but in my opinion the quality isn't quite there on the reloads. </div></div>

How were you testing velocity?

Chrono (if so what model) or did you shoot any at distance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My fps has varied greater than their non-reloads. The original ammo I bought from them was 175 SMS and shot at 2700fps. Between rounds the fps never varied by more than 30 fps. I sent 300 rounds back to be reloaded and those rounds hav varied by as much as 60fps. Good price but in my opinion the quality isn't quite there on the reloads.</div></div> Was your brass mixed? For example, Hornady, fc, bha, ect.

I know i've bought a bunch of their brass once fired from Mike and after preping the brass the FC head stamped brass was +/- .04grs over 150 pieces. So if you want to get rid of the brass I'm in.

All of the brass was the same it was once fired FC brass that I originally bought new loaded from SW ammunition.
I used a chrono on every shot, it's my buddies chrono so I don't remember the manufacturer, but its the chrono we have been using for a long time including the original data on the original loads from SWA.

For example I had two that were at 2707, and 2704, and two that were 2645, and 2651. To me that's more fps variance than I would want. Of course I only paid 60cents a round instead of a dollar like normal match ammo would be. However, if the ammo continues to show this much variance between the rounds I don't believe I will be sending it back to be reloaded.

I just sent a some brass to them to get reloaded about 10 days ago, they havnt cashed the check in yet so I hope for the best. I also got some of there 175gr 308 ammo they sell I haven't been able to test it out yet because I dont have a good scope yet for my 308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are these neck or full length sized? </div></div>

I asked them that when I called them and they told me it was full length.

I just sent in 600 pieces of once-fired Winchester .308 brass for loading with 155 Scenars. I originally purchased the ammo as their Standard Match loads. This will be my first reloads from Southwest, and I'll post a range report with chrono results when I get the ammo back from them.

Everything I've gotten from Southwest has driven tacks out of my AI AW.

—Andreas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For example I had two that were at 2707, and 2704, and two that were 2645, and 2651. To me that's more fps variance than I would want. Of course I only paid 60cents a round instead of a dollar like normal match ammo would be. However, if the ammo continues to show this much variance between the rounds I don't believe I will be sending it back to be reloaded.</div></div> Send me that stuff back and I will see what the issue is and return it reloaded. I will shoot some and pull some to see what is going on. Give me the ok and I will email you a return label.

I agree, 60fps is out of bounds and not a standard we find acceptable.

Thanks,

Zach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For example I had two that were at 2707, and 2704, and two that were 2645, and 2651. To me that's more fps variance than I would want. Of course I only paid 60cents a round instead of a dollar like normal match ammo would be. However, if the ammo continues to show this much variance between the rounds I don't believe I will be sending it back to be reloaded.</div></div> Send me that stuff back and I will see what the issue is and return it reloaded. I will shoot some and pull some to see what is going on. Give me the ok and I will email you a return label.

Thanks,

Zach</div></div>
^^This^^^...

Is why I will continue to use SWammo. A phone call or email could probably have prevented this thread, but then we wouldn't have seen what stand-up guys these are, would we have?

I agree, SW Ammo are stand-up guys and that's why I'll keep buying from them. You won't get one on one customer service like that from many ammo manufacturers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lash</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PRS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For example I had two that were at 2707, and 2704, and two that were 2645, and 2651. To me that's more fps variance than I would want. Of course I only paid 60cents a round instead of a dollar like normal match ammo would be. However, if the ammo continues to show this much variance between the rounds I don't believe I will be sending it back to be reloaded.</div></div> Send me that stuff back and I will see what the issue is and return it reloaded. I will shoot some and pull some to see what is going on. Give me the ok and I will email you a return label.

Thanks,

Zach</div></div>
^^This^^^...

Is why I will continue to use SWammo. A phone call or email could probably have prevented this thread, but then we wouldn't have seen what stand-up guys these are, would we have?
</div></div>This is a fun job, I have made some awesome friends from doing this and learned a great deal as well. I want to make the best, feedback is the way to reach that goal. I will do my best to make a person who chooses to spend there hard earned money with us the best.

Thanks guys,

Zach

Zach. Please respond to my PM....

Edited: Thanks for the response.

Dang now that customer service, can't wait to put my order in soon, when i get some cash. Father/in law is kicking my ass in target shooting.

These guys are great and support all of us shooters just as they are no different than you and me but they load ammo for a living.