• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southwest Ammunition 77 gr Run-N-Gun

Trigger Monkey

Ronin
Minuteman
  • Apr 29, 2005
    Winchester Virginia
    This will be just a short range report about the 77 gr Run N Gun ammunition that I recently received from Southwest Ammunition. Prior to receiving this ammunition I was primarily using the Prvi Partisan 75 gr Match round and while it worked fine I started to want something better. As the case was starting to get low I decided to try the Run-N-Gun offering from Southwest Ammo since it seemed to be quite affordable and used known quality components. Without much debate I ordered a 500 round case that was in stock at the time and received it just shy of two weeks from the time I hit the complete order button. It actually came a little earlier than expected so I decided to try to beat out the rain this morning and headed out to the range. Since I figured I wouldn’t have a lot of time I only did a 20 round side-by-side comparison of the PP 75gr Match and Southwest Ammunition 77gr RNG ammunition.

The rifle that I used was a 16” Recce-ish carbine with a free floated WOA mid-length SS barrel, NF 2.5-10X24, and a RRA 2-stage trigger.

IMG_3869.jpg

In the picture below you’ll see the targets that were shot with the two different types of ammunition, although disregard the far left bottom square I shot that with my bolt gun.

IMG_3867.jpg

I shot the PP 75 gr Match first, beginning with the top right target and then shooting the one directly below it. Because of the public school system that I attended I can only count to nine so that is how many I shot over the chronograph. The numbers were as follows:

Averaging: 2531 fps

What’s interesting is that this differs from the chronograph data that I have from when I originally opened the case of ammunition and shot it through the then new barrel. At that time I was averaging about 2485 fps, however that seems to be not the case anymore. This gain in velocity could also explain the need for less elevation to get COM the last time I took this carbine out. At first I thought it was temperature and/or DA related but I may work up a new dope chart and try again when I have the chance.

Moving on to the SWA 77 RNG on the right target I decided to engage the center circle since the rifle wasn’t zeroed to this ammunition and it would give me a little more margin for error. The rounds went a little high and right of center but I just decided to stick it out and kept the same POA. Looking through the NF I was pretty happy with what I was seeing but that damn public education thing acted up again and I managed to only shoot nine rounds through the chronograph. I liked what I was seeing though.

That put the average at about 2672 for those nine rounds so all in all I thought it wasn’t too bad out of a 16” carbine. I made an initial correction and somehow threw my fundamentals out the window and was rewarded with those three ugly rounds at 7 o’clock off the circle. I gave myself a pep talk and calmed down to finish the magazine out on the lower right target while getting some more chrono data. I don’t think that group was as good as the first but still not too bad and definitely better than the PP 75 gr Match.

The velocity data for those remaining eleven rounds was:

That brought the average velocity down to about 2650 fps over the entire 20 round magazine, which isn’t too far from the 2625 fps that SW Ammo told me they had gotten from a 16” carbine. I haven’t accurately measured the groups beyond overlaying a ruler on top of them and eyeballing the center-to-center hits but even with that three shot abortion I would say it’s just a hair above MOA.

In conclusion I would say that I’m more than satisfied with the ammunition in every way and my rifle appears to like it too. I’ll be interested to see if there will be any improvement in the accuracy when I get the Geissele SSA-E trigger to replace the stock RRA 2-stage match trigger. After this morning though I would definitely recommend Southwest Ammunition Run-N-Gun line to anyone looking for an affordable, accurate round and I’ll definitely be picking some more of it up in the future.

Re: Southwest Ammunition 77 gr Run-N-Gun

Good to see. I have some of that along with some match ammo from them waiting for me at the house. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Re: Southwest Ammunition 77 gr Run-N-Gun

Thanks for the report. I also have a 500 rnd case of the Southwest RNG 77 gr waiting to be fired.