• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Southwestern PA beyond 500yd range?

Eaglearcher20

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2018
Johnstown, PA 15905
I’m located in a small town in SW PA looking for a range to shoot beyond 500yd. My zip is 15963. Willing to drive a bit, but the closest I have found for 1,000yd is 3hrs away in Kennerdell. Let me know.

I’m located in a small town in SW PA looking for a range to shoot beyond 500yd. My zip is 15963. Willing to drive a bit, but the closest I have found for 1,000yd is 3hrs away in Kennerdell. Let me know.

Ok, now you've piqued my interest. I grew up in the NW corner of Butler county bouncing around there Armstrong, Clarion, and Venango counties. I don't recall any clubs or ranges in Kennerdell. I'm assuming the range you are referring to is newish and possibly private?

Lawrence County Sportsmans Assoc has a 600yd range, as does McDonald Sportsman Assoc. The next closest 1k range is Ridgeway Rifle Club in Elk county.

Mifflin County Sportsman
hour 45
steel targets and paper
lots of other shooting disciplines too
cheap membership

Reade Range
hour 15
KD 1000y range

This will be the 2nd time I try to get a hold of someone at Reade Range. My last email got my no response. They seem to be the closest.

Both Mifflin and Peacemaker should be inside of 2 hours from you.

Both Mifflin and Peacemaker should be inside of 2 hours from you.
Peacemaker looks incredible, but $200 per year plus $10 per visit...along with a 2hr 15 minute drive. Hmm....I wouldn’t be completely opposed but I’m curious if being out of state would cause any issues...having NFA items and all.

Peacemaker looks incredible, but $200 per year plus $10 per visit...along with a 2hr 15 minute drive. Hmm....I wouldn’t be completely opposed but I’m curious if being out of state would cause any issues...having NFA items and all.

The only NFA items that you run into issues with crossing State lines are SBR's but just file Form 5320.20 Also, when you travel to a State that does not allow suppressor ownership like NY, NJ, CT. You should be fine in WV.

It would be a haul for you, but you at least need to make a Pilgrimage to Tom Sarver's place Thunder Valley Precision. It is an awesome experience!!

What or where is the 1k range you found in Kenerdell? I'm curious because I spend part of the Summer back Home and that's essentially my AO. Thanks.

The only NFA items that you run into issues with crossing State lines are SBR's but just file Form 5320.20 Also, when you travel to a State that does not allow suppressor ownership like NY, NJ, CT. You should be fine in WV.

It would be a haul for you, but you at least need to make a Pilgrimage to Tom Sarver's place Thunder Valley Precision. It is an awesome experience!!

What or where is the 1k range you found in Kenerdell? I'm curious because I spend part of the Summer back Home and that's essentially my AO. Thanks.
Rockland Precision

Reactions: bunsen27
Rockland Precision
Thank you! That looks like a nice little range. Their website is a touch behind on current pictures but Google maps show three firing lines.

1594322798471.png

Reade Range is very selective of their numbers. They consider themselves a league range and require members to be "competitive ahooters," Think F-Class, Palma, Camp Perry etc. The best way is to check the schedule online and hit a couple F-Class matches. They will give you a membership once you've shot 2 or 4 (can't remember) shoots. Just had a buddy go through the same thing and he had trouble with the communication as well.

You can PM me if you want a bit more info.

HTH.

Reade Range is very selective of their numbers. They consider themselves a league range and require members to be "competitive ahooters," Think F-Class, Palma, Camp Perry etc. The best way is to check the schedule online and hit a couple F-Class matches. They will give you a membership once you've shot 2 or 4 (can't remember) shoots. Just had a buddy go through the same thing and he had trouble with the communication as well.

You can PM me if you want a bit more info.

HTH.

Thank you for the info. That helps me better understand their lack of response. At this time I am not interested in competing as I’m VERY novice in my shooting and want to be able to enjoy and relax as I practice and build skills.

Thank you for the info. That helps me better understand their lack of response. At this time I am not interested in competing as I’m VERY novice in my shooting and want to be able to enjoy and relax as I practice and build skills.

I have heard that many times. There are a lot of great guys up there that will help you improve quickly. All you really need is DOPE that gets you on paper and be able to safely handle your rifle. It's where I started out and I would encourage you to do the same.

I have heard that many times. There are a lot of great guys up there that will help you improve quickly. All you really need is DOPE that gets you on paper and be able to safely handle your rifle. It's where I started out and I would encourage you to do the same.
Hmm...that is a good point if people are really friendly and willing to help me out. Kind of kills 2 birds with one stone. A place to shoot and pointers from people who actually know how to shoot, lol.

if you can swing it as mentioned Mifflin county is pretty nice went there today for the first time it was just about 3 1/2 hour drive for us but was a trip to see it let alone to be able to shoot there . Good luck to you and may you find a good range close to you .

if you can swing it as mentioned Mifflin county is pretty nice went there today for the first time it was just about 3 1/2 hour drive for us but was a trip to see it let alone to be able to shoot there . Good luck to you and may you find a good range close to you .
Mifflin may be my choice assuming I can get approved. 2hr drive. Lots of ranges and spots for archery. Cheap membership fee.

Peacemaker looks awesome but the 1,000yd range is only available on Wednesdays which is basically useless to me as I work 7:30-5:00 M-F.

Reactions: acudaowner
Check out Thunder Valley Precision in Kimbolton, OH. Might be a bit of a drive but it's well worth it for a weekend trip. I also think there is a decently far range in Alliance, OH but I can't remember the name.

Reactions: acudaowner
Im at 15552 I have up to 1000 yards and my neighbor lets me shoot 1800 and soon 3500 yards from his place to mine. Pm some time and ill let you know when were shooting. " Which is most of the time " LOL

Im at 15552 I have up to 1000 yards and my neighbor lets me shoot 1800 and soon 3500 yards from his place to mine. Pm some time and ill let you know when were shooting. " Which is most of the time " LOL

Oh wow. That is awesome and I may just take you up on that offer sometime. Looks like you are roughly 45 minutes away.

Do you by chance play checkers or battleship with rifles shooting back and forth, lol?

Oh wow. That is awesome and I may just take you up on that offer sometime. Looks like you are roughly 45 minutes away.

Do you by chance play checkers or battleship with rifles shooting back and forth, lol?
No, never heard of that. Lately we have been dinging the 1800 yard target and setting up a long range rim fire range. also setting up a course similar to how they shoot at Peace Maker. I use to go there alot but then it started to turn into a clown show in my opinion. A good day I will have 4-6 people shooting, co-workers have started getting into so now I got the bug again and Im trying to get 1-2 miles.

No, never heard of that. Lately we have been dinging the 1800 yard target and setting up a long range rim fire range. also setting up a course similar to how they shoot at Peace Maker. I use to go there alot but then it started to turn into a clown show in my opinion. A good day I will have 4-6 people shooting, co-workers have started getting into so now I got the bug again and Im trying to get 1-2 miles.

Sorry, my checkers and battleship comment was a bad joke.

Sounds like you have a nice setup. Your comment about Peace Maker makes me feel better about not pursuing them for a membership. Right now i am nowhere near ready for 1 mile. I am just starting into medium to long range. However, I wanted to start now to find a nice long range place with friendly (and hopefully helpful) people so when the time comes i'm not bored at short range and waiting months or longer to find a long range.

I'm off work the 2nd week of August so i may reach out around then to see if you are free.

Peace Maker was friendly and nice set up. couple years into there long range matches it ended up 5 -10 guys shooting at same time on each stage. Kinda turned my fun meter down. So I have a D6 and a saw, so many hours later I had my own range LOL

Reactions: b6graham