• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Spanish Gourd Ranch wife's buck of 2011

SingleShot85

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2004
Native Texican (SA)
spanishgourd.com
IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

Re: Spanish Gourd Ranch wife's buck of 2011

The rifle is her 22-250 shooting 80amax bullets at 3200fps, she smoked him at 125 stone cold
Remy 700
Krierger 7.75 twist 22"
HTG painted by me
APA bottom Metal
Seekins base and rings
Vortex 2-10x44

P1010403.jpg

P1010404.jpg

P1010405.jpg

P1010410.jpg

Nice take.

Glad you are letting her shoot "her" rifle you have been using for the last year.

Nice buck! I really like that red bolt handle.

It's great to see the ladies in the field sharing the sport.
Congrats on picking a winner!

Keith, nice buck for the wife. Please don't take my question wrong as I know you are a guide. That buck to me looks like a 3.5yr old. I hunted in Texas for 30yrs!! but been gone for almost ten years.

So my question is, is that buck a cull for you. Not exactly sure where you are. I know you told me at the Cup one year but I've forgotten, and what genetics exist where you are.

I'm just curious why you picked that one out for her! Our management practices over here are quite different than brush country Texas in a lot of aspects.

Thanks, I always enjoying learning the thought process from people that professionally do this.

Don

Don,

Our ranch is a little odd in the fact that it is in the middle of a transition zone between the S. TX brush country and the Edwards Plateau. This particular deer is 5.5, aged using the tooth wear method. He is a typical "hill country deer" that weighed 175lbs, which was another indicator of his age when I saw him. Some of our buck get 200lbs and are what you would imagine a S. TX deer to look like, some are mixture which creates tons of confusion when aging. Game cameras and scouting help, plus I have year to year pics on most all the deer at my 5 stands and our lease hunters send me at least 20 pics a week. So I get a pretty good idea of whats out there.

The ranch is between Brackettville and Rocksprings TX.

Just like the rest of the state the drought has taken its toll on antler production and he is indeed a poor example of management deer, but we won't tell my wife that, since its her biggest so far.

We have much bigger deer antler and body wise but she only had one weekend to hunt due to her law school schedule and since we never pass up a chance to take out a mgmt buck she drilled him.

I love talking deer hunting and mgmt so questions are welcome......

KT

very nice smile, love the gun and nice mgmt.deer