• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sparrow VS Mask HD accuracy

mwiggi

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
South Georgia
Debating between a Mask HD and Sparrow for a Tikka t1X. Accuracy is my biggest concern. I’ve read that the Sparrow will decrease group sizes or at least not increase them. I’d much rather get the Dead AIr mask but I’m concerned about my group sizes increasing. I know most of the pros and cons of each can and I feel like accuracy between the two will be the deciding factor.

Those that run a Mask, how does it affect accuracy? I know all guns are different but was curious what y’all have experienced. Or should I get a Rugged Oculus because of their customer service and modularity of the can?

I don’t own a 22 pistol, but would possibly buy one in the future. This would stay on the bolt action 90 percent of the time and 10 percent on a 10/22. I genuinely appreciate all the help. I know this is a common question, but I’m strictly interested in accuracy.

For all practical purposes neither will change the precision of your rifle. You could see a change in point of impact, but I would buy what you want. I own the mask and my rifles shot the same bug holes as before.

I also shoot target pistols and see no difference.

For all practical purposes neither will change the precision of your rifle. You could see a change in point of impact, but I would buy what you want. I own the mask and my rifles shot the same bug holes as before.
That’s good news. You helped me finish making up my mind. I can deal with a change in POI. Just made me worry that the group sizes would open up with the Mask. I’m sure the Sparrow is a decent suppressor but with a $140 price difference, I’d rather get the mask.

I did this debate a long time ago, as well... Here's what I concluded, and why I'm happy with my choice.

The Mask HD (baffles) has no discernible first-round pop, compared to the Sparrow (mono-core). Also something to think about, the Mask HD will accept slightly longer-than-normal threads on certain host weapons that have a thread tenon longer than 1/2". The Mask HD baffles are 17-4 stainless and so are the end caps and threaded end, so that means everything except the tube can be cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner for simple and easy cleaning. The tube can't be sonic cleaned, since it's made of Grade-5 titanium. I just wipe it out by hand with a RemOil wipe before reassembly. 👍🏼

As for accuracy, I don't know if there will be any difference, but the Mask HD has concentric baffles and blast baffles, that are supposed to result in more precision gas displacement during exit, creating a more precision suppressor. I do know my Christensen Arms Ranger 22 has put down some damn-impressive groups with it on the end. Even some nearly 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with bulk CCI SV ammo. And has put down a few .3xx and .4xx 3-shot groups at 100 yards.

My custom 1911 .22LR conversion pistol shoots 4" steel plates on a challenge tree @ 50 yards with iron sights and the Mask HD.

My custom 10/22 puts down MOA or better groups at 100 yards, and can put down close to MOA groups at 200 yards with it.

So, while I cannot say that one is any better than the other where accuracy is concerned, I can, however, say that without a doubt, all of my guns shoot excellent with the Mask HD on them. And have never seen any adverse affects from shooting with the suppressor. 👍🏼

Reactions: SoundFx
I went through this debate in my head a few months ago and settled it by going with both🤣

The Mask sits on a T1X .17 HMR but also does double duty on a Browning Buckmark .22. Works great on both. Well balanced on the end of the T1X and no cycling issues with the Buckmark using standard velocity CCI which is near subsonic and super quiet. Heck, I even ran some subsonic Aquila through it expecting it to jam up and it did not. Anyways, I digress….

I wound up putting the Sparrow on Savage B22. It is light and quiet and just makes that rifle fun to shoot. The CCI’s sound quieter than a pellet gun to me🤷🏼‍♂️

Either will work well, but if I could only go with one it would be the Mask. I do like the fit and feel a little better.

I wound up putting the Sparrow on Savage B22. It is light and quiet and just makes that rifle fun to shoot. The CCI’s sound quieter than a pellet gun to me🤷🏼‍♂️

Either will work well, but if I could only go with one it would be the Mask. I do like the fit and feel a little better.

I saw a couple of B22 Precisions in a MDT chassis for $550 and the lite version with the proof barrel for $750 and fell in love. Almost bought one without doing any kind of research because of how great it felt holding. I was disappointed after reading about the problems they had. Wondered if it would be solved with the proof barrel.

Felt about the same holding a CA Ranger. Immediately put it down when I saw what brand it was.

Did some research and decided on a T1X or perhaps a CZ 457. But still haven’t made my mind up for sure on the host for the Mask.

I’ll probably get a 10/22 charger or a HK MP5 just as an ammo waster and just worry about accuracy/ ease of portability for the bolt gun.

Yep, either the Tikka or CZ are what I’d run with if buying today. My Savage was an Xmas gift a few years back and for what I do with it works fine. Leaves a little to be desired in the QC department though…..I can visually see where the stock channel warps against the barrel.

I have both the sparrow and spectre. Both are great cans and you can't go wrong with either of them. I haven't seen much personal experiences on the mask. You honestly can't go wrong with either but I would get the mask since it's newer.

I just got my Mask a month ago. I have ran it through my MKIV and my Bergara B14 22LR. I have tested a ton of different ammo through each.

The Mask doesn’t impact my groups on either. It’s a great can!

Reactions: MouthMechanic
For those debating which one to get, this video might help… 👍🏼

Meh didn’t help me at all!😆
Thank you for posting though. I’m trying to find something i can use so i don’t disturb neighbors and never realized first round pop was this significant with all cans. Might just save my money and use it to buy them “sorry for the noise” beers

I spent the extra money and got the Mask. 36 days since certifying.

With the mask, make sure your host has .4” long threads. The user manual says that’s the optimal length for sound suppression and baffle life. My CZ 457 has .6” so I got a thread spacer just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: FuhQ
Meh didn’t help me at all!😆
Thank you for posting though. I’m trying to find something i can use so i don’t disturb neighbors and never realized first round pop was this significant with all cans. Might just save my money and use it to buy them “sorry for the noise” beers
You won’t regret the Mask. It’s an an amazing .22 can. I just had my old .17 HMR threaded last week by my gunsmith so I can suppress it, as well. Once I get it back, and get to the range, I’ll post up some videos on my YouTube channel. 👍🏼

Reactions: MouthMechanic
Fwiw, my TSC Scoundrel (monocire like the Sparrow) doesn't change anything in regards to accuracy on my 455,and MAY make for a tighter group.

It does definitely change my POI abt half an inch higher @ 40yds.

my t1x and mask dont get along in terms of accuracy. obviously the mask is my quietest can. but ive even tried spacers on the t1x and the mask just doesnt group as well as it does with no can. however, running my sparrow direct thread, or my optimus micro the tikka still shoots like it does without a can. its weird, my cz 455 that is threaded shoots fine with the mask, as well as my savage b22 and my feddersen barrelled 10/22. my kidd barrel 10/22 falls off a little with the mask, compared to the other 2 cans though. i dont know if it is differences in crowns effecting gas flow or what. with both the optimus micro and the sparrow, rifle hosts dont seem to matter. but they arent as quiet as the mask.

my t1x and mask dont get along in terms of accuracy. obviously the mask is my quietest can. but ive even tried spacers on the t1x and the mask just doesnt group as well as it does with no can. however, running my sparrow direct thread, or my optimus micro the tikka still shoots like it does without a can. its weird, my cz 455 that is threaded shoots fine with the mask, as well as my savage b22 and my feddersen barrelled 10/22. my kidd barrel 10/22 falls off a little with the mask, compared to the other 2 cans though. i dont know if it is differences in crowns effecting gas flow or what. with both the optimus micro and the sparrow, rifle hosts dont seem to matter. but they arent as quiet as the mask.
I now have both the Mask HD and TBAC 22TD, and my Ranger 22 shoots slightly better groups with the TBAC for some reason. I'm guessing weight/harmonics just jive a little bit better with each other. If you got the extra scratch, get a TBAC 22TD. Excellent can and build quality. I was going to order a 2nd one this morning, but they were sold out of black by the time I got to a stopping point at work. 😕

I now have both the Mask HD and TBAC 22TD, and my Ranger 22 shoots slightly better groups with the TBAC for some reason. I'm guessing weight/harmonics just jive a little bit better with each other. If you got the extra scratch, get a TBAC 22TD. Excellent can and build quality. I was going to order a 2nd one this morning, but they were sold out of black by the time I got to a stopping point at work. 😕
I put my TBAC on my Ruger Tactical like you have above. Man that thing is fun! 70 yard on a 6” steel plate and was able to get 7-9 hits out of 10 shots regularly. Be an awesome Varmint setup. That’s with cheap federal Walmart bulk ammo. And it sounds like a nail gun

Need to get some simple Green and run the baffles through the first ultrasonic cleaning

I put my TBAC on my Ruger Tactical like you have above. Man that thing is fun! 70 yard on a 6” steel plate and was able to get 7-9 hits out of 10 shots regularly. Be an awesome Varmint setup. That’s with cheap federal Walmart bulk ammo. And it sounds like a nail gun

Need to get some simple Green and run the baffles through the first ultrasonic cleaning
Use CLR... Better than Simple Green and Purple Power. I've tried all 3.

CLR soak for them for about an hour, then scrub with a stainless brush, green scotch brite pad, and hot water, and the carbon will literally rub off, and they'll look brand new. My Obsidian 45 baffles literally look like they've never been fired. They haven't been that clean since it was brand new.

I suppose you could also use a 3:1 ratio with CLR in the ultrasonic, and it will most likely do just as good of a job without having to scrub by hand.

Don't know the difference between CL-4 and PRO, but I bought the PRO stuff, and it works amazing. I even ultrasonic cleaned one of my OCL Hydrogen cans in CLR (3:1 ratio) with hot water (3 parts water : 1 part CLR Pro), and it knocked over a 1/2 oz of hardened carbon deposits out of my can from shooting .300 BLK subs. It had around 2,500 rounds on that can, it was CAKED! Now it looks nearly brand new inside. You'll never get ALL the carbon out, but I got it down to 9.5 oz in weight (9.3 new). So I'm satisfied with the results.

CLR Pro (1 Gallon)

Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 blast chamber before and after…

IMG_6517.jpegIMG_9727.jpeg

After ~2,500 rounds of various cartridges from .223, .300 BLK subs & supers, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, .280 AI, 7 RemMag, etc… The blast baffle still looks nearly new, with minimal pitting…. The OCL cans are legit.

IMG_9732.jpeg

Last edited:
Use CLR... Better than Simple Green and Purple Power. I've tried all 3.

CLR soak for them for about an hour, then scrub with a stainless brush, green scotch brite pad, and hot water, and the carbon will literally rub off, and they'll look brand new. My Obsidian 45 baffles literally look like they've never been fired. They haven't been that clean since it was brand new.

I suppose you could also use a 3:1 ratio with CLR in the ultrasonic, and it will most likely do just as good of a job without having to scrub by hand.

Don't know the difference between CL-4 and PRO, but I bought the PRO stuff, and it works amazing. I even ultrasonic cleaned one of my OCL Hydrogen cans in CLR (3:1 ratio) with hot water (3 parts water : 1 part CLR Pro), and it knocked over a 1/2 oz of hardened carbon deposits out of my can from shooting .300 BLK subs. It had around 2,500 rounds on that can, it was CAKED! Now it looks nearly brand new inside. You'll never get ALL the carbon out, but I got it down to 9.5 oz in weight (9.3 new). So I'm satisfied with the results.

CLR Pro (1 Gallon)

Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 blast chamber before and after…

View attachment 8182879View attachment 8182878

After ~2,500 rounds of various cartridges from .223, .300 BLK subs & supers, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, .280 AI, 7 RemMag, etc… The blast baffle still looks nearly new, with minimal pitting…. The OCL cans are legit.

View attachment 8182882
Straight clr for the stainless TBAC baffles?

Straight clr for the stainless TBAC baffles?
Yup... That's what I did with my Obsidian 45 baffles (17-4 stainless). Soaked in straight CLR (undiluted) for about an hour. Then removed them, one by one, rubbed them with the scotch brite pad, and rinsed in hot water. If there were any tough deposits, the stainless brush knocked them right off. Then rinsed again, and dried with a rag and let them sit on a paper towel to air dry while I finished the rest of them. Reassembled using some C5-A copper anti-seize on all the threads of the can and o-rings, and she's like new.

I have a buddy who puts his rolex in CLR to "make it shiney." I'm sure it would work fine on the baffles.

I remember seeing some reports from TBAC on here about not using clr on the stainless baffles of the takedown. I’m sure a 15-30 minute soak won’t hurt though.

I have mine tore apart. Going to pick up something to try. Just haven’t decided what yet

Here is a copy/pasted response from TBAC I got back in December when asking about clr on my TBAC ultra 9 and takedown 22

“Good on the 9. You can shake it up a little. CLR on the stainless is not good. You can soak them in it for a few minutes and use a brush. Simple green Or any good carbon cleaner.”

Last edited:
I remember seeing some reports from TBAC on here about not using clr on the stainless baffles of the takedown. I’m sure a 15-30 minute soak won’t hurt though.

I have mine tore apart. Going to pick up something to try. Just haven’t decided what yet

Here is a copy/pasted response from TBAC I got back in December when asking about clr on my TBAC ultra 9 and takedown 22

“Good on the 9. You can shake it up a little. CLR on the stainless is not good. You can soak them in it for a few minutes and use a brush. Simple green Or any good carbon cleaner.”
That's odd they would say that... It didn't hurt the cerakote finish on my OCL can, and it was completely submerged in the 3:1 mixture for 90 minutes in an ultrasonic cleaner. I would figure it would destroy the finish, long before it would harm bare 17-4 stainless steel. But that's just my opinion.

Straight off the website... This is the stuff I use...

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 11.56.43 PM.png

@hafejd30 😏👍🏼

Also, just a heads-up, baffle #10 is a 2-piece. That little short piece on the end is the 11th baffle. It’s just kind of a bitch to separate them when caked and dirty. Might want to pull it apart and make sure it’s clean in there before reassembly.

Reactions: hafejd30
@hafejd30 😏👍🏼

Also, just a heads-up, baffle #10 is a 2-piece. That little short piece on the end is the 11th baffle. It’s just kind of a bitch to separate them when caked and dirty. Might want to pull it apart and make sure it’s clean in there before reassembly.
Awesome catch. Thank you! Just got it apart and cleaned up