• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Spartan Blades alternative?

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
I want to get one of their knives but I have a small problem with getting a 350.00 knife that doesn't come with a sheath. Are there other fixed blades that are comparable to Spartan?
Thanks

Check Graymanknives.com, still going to run you $250 or so but they are good quality, not for looks but for function

Steve Woods makes a knife he calls a Hide Fighter, very nice knife, less than $350 - with a nice sheath, and it is tough as nails, great design, great craftsmanship.

I want to get one of their knives but I have a small problem with getting a 350.00 knife that doesn't come with a sheath. Are there other fixed blades that are comparable to Spartan?
Thanks
What are some current offerings out there that appeal to you? If I can see what you currently like (both from a features & design standpoint), then we can recommend a possible solution. Having a top dollar price range would be helpful too!

I want a fixed blade for 350 or under that is good quality, strong, I like the blade designs that Spartan has, light weight and not gigantic.

Call Grey Group Traning they usually stock them. I have got 2 from them a NYX and a Horkos and they both came with a nice kydex sheath.

What is an extra $25 to get what you say you really want? I could think of a lot of ways to make a quick extra $25 to get the sheath.

Thanks

Well you could always think of it as a $400 dollar knife where you have the option to choose which style sheath you want. Do scopes come with rings?;)

If you want something that comes with a sheath and is still in the custom/Semi custom and not cookie cutter mass produced knives pile, take a look at Jericoh knives. He makes a solid knife that can take serious field use. http://www.jericohblades.com

I've had two Spartan blades. I returned one for a sloppy edge grind. I don't see anything that special about them, other than a somewhat unique blade profile. I think they're a bit overpriced. You'd have to be more specific about length, weight and materials before I could make a specific recommendation. My last two buys were Lionsteel fixed blades. Great quality to price ratio. BladeHQ has plenty to eyeball, good service and prices.

Check Graymanknives.com, still going to run you $250 or so but they are good quality, not for looks but for function

There is no way that a Grayman knife is anywhere near a Spartan Blades knife, even with the $100 difference.

Eh, I'll figure it out. Difficult to describe what I am looking for. I like Spartans grip and blade shape. The size isn't overwhelming. I don't want a Bowie or anything just a really good quality knife. I like the shape of the NYX and the Horkos not crazy about the Ares. Zero tolerance has a similar design but it looks bulky. I'm trying to keep weight to a minimum.

I've always loved my Striders. They are very rugged and I have never even broken the tip off of one yet. Very rugged and great kydex sheaths

FWIW may not fit your criteria...but Crusader Forge is my best knife.....not as light as my spartan...

Have a look at Cold Steel's knives...pretty hard to go wrong there.
To get a little better knife you have to pay a lot more money.
Before the flaming starts yes, I'm a knife guy.

I think the OP needs to figure out what he wants the knife for...A fighting knife for instance can be pretty light and does not need to be 10 inches long and 1/4inch thick.

Have a look at Cold Steel's knives...pretty hard to go wrong there.
To get a little better knife you have to pay a lot more money.
Before the flaming starts yes, I'm a knife guy.

I think the OP needs to figure out what he wants the knife for...A fighting knife for instance can be pretty light and does not need to be 10 inches long and 1/4inch thick.

True, the OP needs to specify what he wants. Recommending a cookie cutter mass produced knife, like cold steel when the OP is looking at a Spartan or other custom knife makers wares is like comparing apples and oranges. Not saying there is anything wrong with Cold Steel or other mass produced knives but the OP is looking at mid to high end knives. If he said he was looking at S&B scopes and wanted an alternative I doubt anyone would recommend a Tasco as that alternative.

Spartan is not a high end knife, not even close. At best bottom of the mid.

Spartan is not a high end knife, not even close. At best bottom of the mid.

Really? So where would you rate knives made by Bill Harsey? I'll assume you know who he is. So I guess by your logic that the Spartan Harsey knives are bottom mid as well? Here's a batch of Spartan Harsey's in Bills shop being made by Bill himself.

image.jpg

I am also curious why you would say that about Spartan knives,,I have many customs and my Harsey is a high end knife. Knives are just tools in my book...use and fit them for the task on hand.

I think it is more along the lines of a higher end mid tech. Not quite a full custom knife. I have met the guys from Spartan, they are the real deal. If you have an issue they will make it right. Strider is a good forever blade. There is a big difference in steel prices and what the tooling is to make them. Also a USA made blade is usually going to cost a little more. If you don't mind high carbon steel, try TOPS knives. They are good people too.

A true custom sheath knife can vary from a new maker around $300 to 1K or more. Depends on fit, finish, steel, grind lines etc. If you can find a Chris Reeves fixed blade they are very nice. Chris Reeves no longer offers hollow handles and his were about the best in the business as they were one piece. The Reeves/harsey collab is stunning and a beast.

Knives are very specific to the individual and what works for one may not work for another. I got a Steven Kelley blade for hunting and it is very nice. Try Tom Krein of Krein knives for a good working blade.

This is very opinion based, if you are looking for comparable quality knives this list could go on forever. There is no shortage on market of knives that are nearly indestructible, and which will accomplish nearly any task you throw at them. Asking people who makes a higher or equivalent quality knife is too broad a question, because that answer is different for everyone. Now having said that, homie up there saying spartan knives are low-mid end in quality is kind of ridiculous, past this price point the the only thing you will get for your money is more specification, long wait times and the warm and fuzzies. If what you want deep down is a Spartan, get it, it is gonna slice, dice, and kill the shit out of whatever you decide to poke with it.