• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Speaking Of Marines...

Minx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando, FL
I posted this on facebook, but since you guys don't have me on facebook, here it is. Cute anecdote, thought some of you would appreciate it.

Today my 3 year old nephew and I were playing Call of Duty and afterward we played a game of imaginary war. We were the planes, the pilots, the soldiers, the generals, dead, alive, revived, etc. I decided to teach him the word "hooah." When I told him to repeat me he said "oorah" instead. So I said, "HooAH is for the Army, sweetie. OoRAH is for Marines." He looked at me and yelled "OORAH MARINE CORPS." I don't know where he learned that, but I think he's made his choice. <3

Re: Speaking Of Marines...

Wait till he is able to string together more complex sentences.

wink.gif

He's actually very talkative. We have zero difficulty communicating with him. His grammar and vocabulary is very clear. He's out of the 2-word stage and even the simple sentence stage. This kid knows way too much about military and weapon related things than he should at 3. Earlier today when we played with legos he told me he made a shot gun with a grenade launcher, lol. And he could tell you about pipe bombs and molotovs if you asked him to as well. Ask him what he wants to do when he grows up and he'll tell you he "wants to fly big helihoppers."

Becoming a Marine starts early. When the first time a Marine is Dress Blues is seen, it makes a large impact on a kid. My dad's best friend, Davey Davis, or as we called him, 'Uncle Dave' served in Viet Nam. He was an Aerial Gunner on a Huey, as First Mech. He was the first Marine I saw. The second was my first step father's picture from Korea where he served at the tail end of the war.
There are a few major requirements to mold the mental state to becoming a Marine. The first is coming from a broken home, or a dysfunctional home. This is a very large part of making the mind and soul mold into the 'You can't break me' spirit. Next has to be at least a little beating, and hard, arduous work. This lets the individual steep in attitude and also at teh same time build physical strength. The hard work has to start early because it builds toleranse, and endurance. Once the individual has been worked unitil it no longer matters, lived in a dysfunctional home environment until he doesn't care, and looks at the rest of the world like it can't hurt him, he is ready to go to Boot Camp where he will excel and become a Marine full of that "I AM INVINCIBLE!" attitude. Oh, and make sure all the girls he grows up with are a little afraid of him but curious enough about him to not be antagonistic so he can be nice to them. He will thank you for this when he graduates boot camp and comes back for that first visit and they see him as a Marine.
At least that's how it all worked for me and they DID tell me coming from a broken home was the best part of molding
grin.gif

I have high hopes for my nephew. Both his parents are high-school drop-outs and, to be honest, kind of bums. Whenever my family talks about our dreams for him in 15 years, my mom sees him as a baseball player and I always see him in the military. I'll be proud of him whatever he does, as long as he's trying to make a good living for himself.

but I always told people I'd have two sons, and raise them to be SEALs, lol.

Edit: He just ran in the room as I was typing this with a water gun and said, "I'm gonna kill somebody in the next room." I said, "Why that's not nice?" and he said, "Okay, then I'm gonna kill the dog." and ran out. lmao

As long as he has people that care enough to guide him in the right direction, he'll do fine. I sometimes feel I'm alone in helping my daughter grow and develop into a good and decent person. Her mom, my ex wife, just wants her to hate me, the grandparents spoil her rotten and I'm there to balance things out. Its a job I'm willing to do and do well as long as she will let me.

That being said, we are all suppose to be better parents than our parents were, so do the good things they did and learn from the bad. I know he's not technically yours, but you might be the closest thing he has to a mom in his young eyes, and you will have a huge influence on him. Start him on the right track and he's more apt to follow it later in life.

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Minx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "I'm gonna kill somebody in the next room." I said, "Why that's not nice?" and he said, "Okay, then I'm gonna kill the dog." and ran out. lmao </div></div>

I about died laughing.

...now <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> kid has some <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> promise....

Yes he does! My grandmom took him swimming yesterday and apparently he's doing really well! Already putting his head underwater and holding it there, and swimming without floaties for small distances all by himself! I know he'll jump off the sides, if you're there to catch him. Wild man! lol I miss him today though. :\ My sister has him. Any time she has him it makes me real uneasy, on top of that I'm bored and I just don't know what to do with myself when I don't have the little one.

As a Scout leader with over two hundred former Scouts to my credit, I'll warn you thus; boys are too wild for their own good. The goal is to bend that spirit to reason, without breaking it.

Greg

I could see him as a boyscout when he's older, for sure. I used to do a girlscouts type thing and I remember that started pretty young, maybe I could find something like that for him once he starts school

lol, Just now as I was sitting with him he was playing Left 4 Dead, and he said, "Titi look. This is my shotgun!" (and it was a pump-action shotgun) and then he switched weapons and said, "And this is my pistol gun!" and I said, "Yeah! Good job!" and then a tank came and he goes, "A TANK! SHOOT A LOT! SHOOT A LOT!" lol He wasn't even aiming at the tank.