• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Speed goats!

mason33

Private
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2011
Lebanon,Or
Looking for a place to hunt speed goats this year. Was thinking wyoming. Not sure if anyone here has any ideas or a guide that they have used. Thanks

Re: Speed goats!

I have never even heard of speed goats.

I have to go do a google seach on it.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DIY, Wyoming is easy to hunt. Stay out in the desert and I believe you wont need a guide. </div></div>

yup...yup !

Closer on the mileage for you to hit on Montana for some Antelope . my brother hunts there every year for deer, antelope, bear, elk . & they have a bunch of Antelope there . IF you put in for a specific unit on a Tag. I think it you can get a Tag for a 2nd antelope doe also .
Plus Montana lets you do Bow hunt for antelope & if you don't fill the Tag you just pay another 9-$ to fill it on your Rifle hunt .
OR. is Pretty fuckedup on there Bow & Rifle hunting & it's one or the other & you can not do both . plus Oregon is really fuckeup & treat Antelope like there an endangered species when OR. residents try/Wait for a Tag .

Our numbers in Montana have taken a massive hit in the last several years. I would seriously consider Wyoming as a option..
I might even consider the same next year.

Wy has much better lope hunting than MT. I think it is cheaper too for outerstaters

I sure as hell wouldnt waste money on hunting goats in Wyoming, they're all over the place and there is plenty of gooberment land.

Check the WY Fish and Game Web site to make sure you put in in time.

If you put in for area 7, let me know, I'll line you up on places to hunt near Newcastle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tip em over</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our numbers in Montana have taken a massive hit in the last several years. I would seriously consider Wyoming as a option..
I might even consider the same next year. </div></div>

Agreed...it will take at least two or three winters in a row like we're having right now to get our numbers back. I would do the Wyoming thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tip em over</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our numbers in Montana have taken a massive hit in the last several years. I would seriously consider Wyoming as a option..
I might even consider the same next year. </div></div>

Agreed...it will take at least two or three winters in a row like we're having right now to get our numbers back. I would do the Wyoming thing. </div></div>

You guys at least have enough for a season!
wink.gif

I dont think we'll have a season again here until 2013 at the EARLIEST.
sick.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does speedgoat taste like?
Never got around to taking one. </div></div>

Tastes like deer, only faster.

antelope is fantastic table fare, if you chase a rutting buck all over the country side and shoot him like that he can be pretty gamey tasting, but other than that I put them before deer for sure. Northern Wyoming suffered a massive winter kill off last year also and the number are 90 percent down easily. I would do some home work on the areas you are thinking about before you spend your money on a out of state tag. I believe it is $315.00 for wyo. tag

Thank you everyone! Oregon is becoming a joke for hunting. Sendro man nice pic's and kraigwy thank you for the invite. I will do some research and go from there. Thanks again.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kimmel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">antelope is fantastic table fare, if you chase a rutting buck all over the country side and shoot him like that he can be pretty gamey tasting, but other than that I put them before deer for sure. Northern Wyoming suffered a massive winter kill off last year also and the number are 90 percent down easily. I would do some home work on the areas you are thinking about before you spend your money on a out of state tag. I believe it is $315.00 for wyo. tag </div></div>

I agree! The only bad thing about antelope meat is there is not enough of it......grin!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does speedgoat taste like?</div></div>

Taste like chicken

Come on, somebody had to say it.

Sorry guys, the OP has been banned from the forum for 7 days for "FLOODING THE FORUM WITH IRRELEVANT POST "??
Can anyone exlplain to me why a Guy gets banned for posting 4 post on different forum subjects within a given time?? Is that not the point of the100 post rule, to have the new members take part in the forums??
would like to hear from the administrator who banned him for a seemingly bogus reason!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sure as hell wouldnt waste money on hunting goats in Wyoming, they're all over the place and there is plenty of gooberment land.

Check the WY Fish and Game Web site to make sure you put in in time.

If you put in for area 7, let me know, I'll line you up on places to hunt near Newcastle. </div></div>

I hunted area 7 this past season. It was FULL of goats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry guys, the OP has been banned from the forum for 7 days for "FLOODING THE FORUM WITH IRRELEVANT POST "??
Can anyone exlplain to me why a Guy gets banned for posting 4 post on different forum subjects within a given time?? Is that not the point of the100 post rule, to have the new members take part in the forums??
would like to hear from the administrator who banned him for a seemingly bogus reason!! </div></div>

Here is every post he made since joining.

All of these were made in the last week by the way.

In order, from 1 to 25...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice looking rifle. Now to find 1000.00. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle. I have been looking for one for sometime. I have a Springfield GI micro that is new in the box. I could add some cash. I would only want the rifle. Thanks and good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one awesome rifle! Good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle! A work of art. Good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! both rifles are work of arts. Good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle. Up for any trades and cash? Good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just came across this story. Very touching and there should be more like you. I have tried to do the same with some of my friends children. Hunitng and fishing and just letting them see the otherside. The smiles are awesome when they hook that first fish or shoot there first can. I still would like to send you a check! Please take it and use it to buy hunting gear for andrew. I wish i would have found this sooner. God bless. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW! Looks like there is something for me to do in germany. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Picture looks cool! </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice looking rifle. Good luck with the sale.
</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like a hold on ride! There all fun. Also it was a nice camo pattern. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the skulls. Nice looking rifles. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats! Nice looking bear. This is on my list for next year. I haven't hunted bear before and i want to do it. I also live in oregon and have a few friends that do alot of bear hunting. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle! good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice rifle! Good luck with the sale. What is the price at ? </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Rifle! I hope someday to have one that nice. Good luck with the sale. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good! That should work just fine! </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the others doing what you did was the besat you could have done. Just sucks that this is what we have to deal with! And it keeps getting worse. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good one! </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a place to hunt speed goats this year. Was thinking wyoming. Not sure if anyone here has any ideas or a guide that they have used. Thanks </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you everyone! Oregon is becoming a joke for hunting. Sendro man nice pic's and kraigwy thank you for the invite. I will do some research and go from there. Thanks again.
smile.gif
</div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle! Good luck. </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle! Can't believe this hasn't sold yet. Good luck </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mason33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still have that poster! I can't remember what magazine it came out of. </div></div>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">20 out of 25 posts were "Nice rifle, good luck."</span>

Open and shut case here Johnson, now sprinkle some crack on him and lets get outta here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">20 out of 25 posts were "Nice rifle, good luck."</span></div></div>I have no idea why he got banned... that's the secret my post count.
wink.gif

BTW, nice rifle. Good luck.

So tell me what is the difference between him and any other member trying to get his 100 post in?? I will take this question.....NOTHING! There is NO DIFFERENCE between him and any other member! I see "nice stick, good luck with the sale" a hundred times a day on this forum! If that is not what is wanted then don't require a minimum post!!
BTW no warning? No, hey we would appreciate if you kept your post to a minimum on firearms bumps!
I am not the oldest member here by any means, not the newest either. We all got our post some how, and I think there is really no difference!

i hunt area 23 .nubers were down last year but i still got a nice one ,hope for better numbers this year

BTW, Still no one has answered my question....How are these post Irrelevant? They are no means the same post on every one! Are you really that bored?

I must have missed something?? Is every post the same? Or any different than any other members? Lets head over to firearms forum and take a look shall we??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does speedgoat taste like?
Never got around to taking one. </div></div>

If a lamb had sexy-time with a deer, it's bastard love-child would taste like speed-goat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So tell me what is the difference between him and any other member trying to get his 100 post in?? I will take this question.....NOTHING! There is NO DIFFERENCE between him and any other member! I see "nice stick, good luck with the sale" a hundred times a day on this forum! If that is not what is wanted then don't require a minimum post!!
BTW no warning? No, hey we would appreciate if you kept your post to a minimum on firearms bumps!
I am not the oldest member here by any means, not the newest either. We all got our post some how, and I think there is really no difference! </div></div>

His post were not much different than the average "nice stick" post, except he was obviously doing it with much frequency. Show me an established member that has as many bumps in same time frame.

The rule is there protect us against scoundrels and I appreciate that. I think Mr.lowlight has said before that bitching about policy regarding the Classifieds section could result in closing of the section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joel.B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NWDan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So tell me what is the difference between him and any other member trying to get his 100 post in?? I will take this question.....NOTHING! There is NO DIFFERENCE between him and any other member! I see "nice stick, good luck with the sale" a hundred times a day on this forum! If that is not what is wanted then don't require a minimum post!!
I am not the oldest member here by any means, not the newest either. We all got our post some how, and I think there is really no difference! </div></div>

His post were not much different than the average "nice stick" post, except he was obviously doing it with much frequency. Show me an established member that has as many bumps in same time frame.

The rule is there protect us against scoundrels and I appreciate that. I think Mr.lowlight has said before that bitching about policy regarding the Classifieds section could result in closing of the section. </div></div>

He only had 4 post the day he got banned. Two on the classifieds and then one or two in this section which is related to his post. I really don't get it I guess. We all got our first posts doing the same thing...
Obviously I know the guy, we have been friends for over ten years...I introduced him to this sight because we are both getting into long range shooting and really enjoy this forum. He is like me and has become addicted to the info, including the nice stuff to look at in the classified's section. He meant no harm. I know some of the guys on here are quick to point a finger and bad mouth a guy because he is new or does not have 6000 post. But if it were not for new members I think things would never be were they are. It would be one guy sitting behind his computer thinking what a great idea it would be to start a website.
Anyway, it is neither here nor their. I thought it was petty, with not so much as a PM to say "hey, please slow down your
post".
We frequent this site for the info and goodies both, I would hate to see good members leave because of finger pointing and knee jerk reactions.

So back to the Antelope info. I will keep him updated and I know he appreciates all of your info!

-Dan-

I feel my fellow Oregonians pain. I have been applying for speed goat in Or for 13 years without a draw.

To the OP (when you get back :), I have hunted Wy twice in the past 3 years and I will be going back again this year. It is a lot of fun and there are lots of goats so a guide is not really necessary. I would recommend paying a trespass fee over a guide since the land owner will many times even tell you which area of his land to focus your efforts. $100-$200 is much cheaper than a guide.

You guys at least have enough for a season!
wink.gif
sick.gif
[/quote]
Is S.Dak. in as bad a shape as N.Dak, pronghorn population wise?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paladin 01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys at least have enough for a season!
wink.gif
sick.gif
</div></div>
Is S.Dak. in as bad a shape as N.Dak, pronghorn population wise? [/quote]

The Northern part of antelope country has been hit hard, Southern part I cant speak for. They did have a season, but everyone I know hunted the Northern part of the state and said they probably should have gone easier on them last year.

Good news is, winter only just showed up here in the last couple days! So hopefully they'll have a better year this year, but ND is gonna need several really good years in a row to rebound.

I have hunted the Buffalo Wyoming area quite a few times and have had success every time. Check out the Wyoming Game & Fish site and check the areas available. Pay attention to the fact that some public land is landlocked and you can't get to it as it is surrounded by private. Get the most current BLM map of the area. These are as valuable as your weapon. Not to mention they help you from trespassing fines.

As mentioned you don't need an outfitter IMHO. Just some good optics and shooting sticks. Plant your butt and glass the sage. Most times you see dust coming your way, speedgoats. After a couple of hours just slowly move to another area and you'll eventually hook up.

It's an addiction for sure. I love speedgoat burgers.

I'm planning a DIY WY pronghorn hunt this year. Should be a ton of fun!! I spoke with a rancher yesterday and they said the winter has been rough (according to the local biologist) so it could be more challenging this year. Still, there are a TON of goats out there.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EBM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planning a DIY WY pronghorn hunt this year. Should be a ton of fun!! I spoke with a rancher yesterday and they said the winter has been rough (according to the local biologist) so it could be more challenging this year. Still, there are a TON of goats out there.
smile.gif
</div></div>

It's been about the warmest winter here in 15 years I would say so I don't know where the rough part is coming from. Still tons of them around my parts.

VS - This was out of Newcastle, FWIW. But I've heard otherwise, too. It's good to hear it was a warm winter, from your end.

Ya Newcastle is only about 90 miles by road and even shorter by the way a crow flies so it is pretty close to me. Been 40 degrees most days all Winter. Only a handful of days below zero and not much snow this year.

VS - That is great news!!! I'm not sure what the local bio was talking about then...