• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spend $2000 to $2,500 for me. Looking for my first piece of high end glass. ATACR or?

HoustonB77

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2014
Nixon TX
I know the first thing that most of you are going to say is do some research before you post. Well I have read and read and read some more until I've been blue in the face. First of all FFP would be nice but it is not a deal breaker I think SFP will fit my needs. Most of my shooting will be at known distances and for hunting purposes. I have a range finder so I can range my targets. It is going to sit on a Remington 700 7 Mag in a HS Precision stock, Timney trigger, and has been glass bedded. Weight is not a big issue because I generally don't carry the gun long distances. I hunt in Texas and 99 percent of all my shots are at least 100 yards or further so the scope doesn't have to go all the way down to 3X. I'm looking somewhere in the 5X to 25X power range. So far my top choice has been the ATACR. I have also considered the Vortex Razor, and the Steiner 5X to 25X but I think it is out of my price range. I know I could probably buy used and get something a little better but I would rather buy new. There is just something about buying used that I don't like. Don't want to buy somebody elses problem. I guess I'm just looking for some real world opoinions of these scopes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From what I have read Scot at Liberty Optics and Sport Optics are the places to buy. I picked up a set of Leica binos at Sport Optics a few months ago and have been very pleased with them so far. In the end I guess I'm just looking for some help with the mass scope confusion.
Thanks
H

You might be able to find a good deal on a demo unit from one of the suppliers. Something that still carries the full manufacturer warranty.

Id say atacr i have 2 of them but that makes me bias coz im selling one atacr here right now lol. but honestly lowlight will proly tell you atacr is more than what you need in any purposes..unless your planing to shoot a mile then i would ask you to step on trotle a litle..even nxs is great vortex hd or bushnell..you cant go wrong with atacr plus that extra 600-1000$ for SB premier etc.. use it to buy hunting ammos:)

I have had all three optics, ATACR, Razor and the Steiner but not the 5-25 I had the 4-16x50. I have sold the Razor and the Steiner and not only run the ATACR on my duty rig but also have one on a personal rifle as well. NOTHING wrong with the Razor or the Steiner. In fact, I may have kept the Steiner had it been the 5-25, it is a great scope. But like you I do not need FFP, although I have a few, and our team runs MOA so we went ATACR. I also have the MIL and both are far and away the best optics I have ever owned (and no I have not run S&B, YET, so no S&B comparisons) There are quite a few great optics out there in that price range and I honestly say you can't go wrong with any of the three, but for ME and what I do, the ATACR is king of the hill.

Sully

I run the ATACR and the razor. For $2000 you can get the razor and spuhr through mile high still. I like both

I run the ATACR and the razor. For $2000 you can get the razor and spuhr through mile high still. I like both

Not adding much but this deal is outstanding and if you decide to go with the razor nothing would be better than a Spuhr to hold it down.

I bought an open box Steiner Military 5-25 MSR for $2500 shipped from CameraLand NY a while back. It was as new with a full warranty.
They are out of them now, but if you email Doug (address on their website) he may be able to find you a deal.
He got me an outstanding deal on a Zeiss Diascope 85 in recent history, a factory refurb with a full warranty for a grand off the street price.

I've also gotten outstanding deals from other SH sponsors.

Definitely contact SH sponsors and tell 'em you're a member here and what you're looking for, you will be treated right.

There's also the used top shelf scopes that show up for sale here in the classifieds. Most carry a long transferrable warranty so save a few $$$ with some assurance. I've been through a few of them with nothing but good experiences.

Yes the razor with the mount is one heck of a deal at mile high! I'm still kinds drinking the nightforce koolaide for some reason though. I think I may have to go with that. If I do I'm almost positive I'll go MOA because it's what I'm the most familiar with. Thanks for all the help. Any other advice is always welcome though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steiner Military 5-25 MSR - Call Scott at Liberty optics tell him you're a Hide member... You will be glad you did :)

Last time I was on here one of the dealers had a BADASS deal on 4-16 steiners. If I hadn't just bought my vortex I would have jumped on that for sure. Don't fool yourself FFP is very nice, I'll never go back unless it's a max power of 10.

I'm in a very similar scenario, been contemplating a razor 5-20x50 for a long time but not yet sure

I just bought the atacr with the moar. Paid 2099 shipped, from optics planet. Great deal, awesome scope.

Now the more I look the more I'm thinking about trying to stretch for the Kahles or the Steiner.

Can't beat the Vortex Razor HD 5-20X with Suphr from Mile High for under $2000. Get something and get out and shoot. If you don't like what you picked, sell it here on the Hide and try something else. You won't know what you like until you get behind it and start shooting!

I was in the same predicament; I ended up with a Steiner 5-25x56 MSR. I got an unexpected bonus from work which made my decision much easier!

I have been looking at the Steiner also and am leaning this way now. It's just so much coin that I want to be sure before I buy