• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spend my money

I've been getting my list together for everything and one thing I stopped to think about was 1) Buffer weight and 2) barrel brand and gas tube stuff

If anyone can recommend any of the above based on experience please let me know.

Idk what your budget is, but a 13.7” or 14.5” from criterion, SOLGW , Hodge, centurion or BCM

I'm not really sure which barrels are overpriced, which are junk, and which ones are the to-go's. My first instinct was to just order a bartlein but I'm not going to pay 450 or whatever it is for an ar barrel from them. If it was something super cool and worth it I'd spend up to 300 I'd guess on the barrel.

I've been getting my list together for everything and one thing I stopped to think about was 1) Buffer weight and 2) barrel brand and gas tube stuff

If anyone can recommend any of the above based on experience please let me know.

I like Criterion or Daniel Defense barrels. For buffers I like BCM/Vltor A5 system. If you go with an adjustable gas block I like Superlative Arms.

Having virtually no experience with AK's. For the 7.62x39 round, assuming it's a semi-auto; I prefer the SKS.

Have built AR's and bought some too. I like the build option for experience, and the pride associated with putting something together that's as satisfying as an AR. But builds involve choices, and any one of them can go sideways and provoke unnecessary stress and delay. This is especially important when making choices that affect cycling reliability. These days I build only if it's something I can't buy, or can't afford to buy; and even then I try to stay inside the original design parameters where the system internals are concerned.

Buying seldom has the same pitfalls, since builders offer warrantees and go to some trouble to test their options choices; so reliability is a high priority in such situations.

Having tread those roads, and looking at your intentions for the implement in question; I would make a different, simpler, and usually cheaper option, one that may have an additional benefit as well.

You want to have semi that delivers a relatively high rate of fire, carries a respectable amount of fodder, and I'm assuming you want something compact, yet bread and butter familiar in your hands. I suggest the Ruger PC Carbine. Versatile with a capital "V", it uses common pistol magazines; Glock 30rd among them. It can even be tricked out into something awesome.
Mine shares magazines with my Ruger American Pistol 9 Pro, a full size military pattern striker/polymer pistol with up to 10/17rd capacity, depending upon your jurisdiction.

This is a very basic and simple firearm; and that shows in its outright reliability, IMHO.

Both handguns are utterly reliable in my experience. If as you suggest, you want it to serve an additional duty as a 9mm HD firearm, consider the terminal performance of a 124gr Federal HST round, as opposed to something of the 223 variety. If there was a requirement for distances beyond 100-200yd, I'd be favoring the 223. But since you're more interested in plinking and HD, the 9mm is very available, relatively cheap, likely more terminally effective at short distances than the 223, and can be loaded with many sorts of purpose-designed rounds. For defense, I have Federal 124gr HST, and for practice, IMI 124gr JHP. With a dot scope, this firearm is very quick to acquire a sight picture, and is steel plate accurate to at least 100yd.

Since my collection of magazines can be pressed into service for both the handgun and the carbine, I only need to buy once/cry once, and currently have a couple of handfuls of 17rd magazines for my ensemble, which is how I see it. Originally purchased to serve for 2-gun combat matches, it's my choice for shorter distance courses; and I have another rifle, an M4-gery, for distances beyond 100yd. I am developing handloads for it employing the Speer 75gr Gold Dot LE Bonded/protected soft point.

I use my 21 y/o Grandson, and 23 y/o Granddaughter as my no holds barred test crew. They are given target, a firearm, and ammunition at a formal range; and I watch and see how they deal with it. This Carbine and Handgun combination was s recent example. They figured out the operating sequence, loaded up, sighted in, and were hitting targets quite reliably in a very short period.

They ended up smiling, and had no handling or equipment interruptions.

Plus, the carbine is a takedown, and fits in a 24" sling pack. Not a phantom lightweight, but not unreasonably so. That mass is mostly in the blow-back bolt, and tames recoil as can be seen in the "something awesome" video. The visible "recoil pulse" is actually the effect of the bolt returning into battery.

Greg

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how comfortable you are using an AR. I was big into PRS and bolt guns for a few years but have been out of it for a bit with the newborn etc. Looking to get back into things now that the kids are older. Being proficient with an AR is pretty different than PRS skills I feel. Some overlap but clearing rooms at night in your house, CQB, learning how to do a proper mag change/clearance drills, weak side, transition to secondary is all new for me. If it's not for you then build something, if it is then buy something cheap like the German suggests and take a few classes to learn when you don't know. In the end you can always use the cheap lower from whatever you bought and pair it to a LMT or KAC upper.

I'm not really sure which barrels are overpriced, which are junk, and which ones are the to-go's. My first instinct was to just order a bartlein but I'm not going to pay 450 or whatever it is for an ar barrel from them. If it was something super cool and worth it I'd spend up to 300 I'd guess on the barrel.

I can tell you that the Bartliens are definately not overpriced. But if you're looking at one of them then you're looking at a precision rifle over a more self defense oriented rifle. I just bought a Bartlien and a Ballistic Advantage barrel and I'll tell you right now there is a huge difference in the quality of the two barrels. The Bartlien is a stainless steel gain twist barrel with a right hand twist that was chambered and finished by Compass Lake Engineering. I haven't had time to build the rifle but the borescope I ran through showed excellent machining of the barrel that is much better than the Ballistic Advantage barrel. I have one of Ballistic Advantages 12.3" Hanson profile barrels. I just started tested the accuracy on the Ballistic Advantage barrel. Not really sure how it's going to do yet as I was having a bad day at the range last time I was out. I really should've stopped shooting. LOL But if I manage to get 1 MOA accuracy out of it I'll be happy. But the pistol it's on is meant more for a self defense/blaster while the 18" Bartlien will be a precision oriented rig.

Some people have said they've had good luck with Ballistic Advantage. I've seen a few people say they are junk but not many. This is my first and time will tell how it does. They do have a 1 MOA garuantee though. So if it doesn't perform it can be returned. People seem to like BCM. I rarely hear a bad thing about them. The people I've seen reviews from were more intested in self defense applications rather than precision rifles. Since you're not looking for a precision rifle I wouldn't look at a barrel like a Bartlien especially given your price range.

Gas blocks I would look at Superlative Arms or SLR Rifleworks. Both are great and can't go wrong with either one.

For buffer systems I have a JP Silent Capture Spring and a Geissele Super 42 buffer spring. Both work great but JPs customer service is better than Geisseles in my opinion. When I built my 308 with the JP SCS I started having issues with it when I was finally able to run the rifle supressed. They were extremely responsive and helpful in helping me getting the problem worked out even though I had bought it over a year before I contacted them. And what they said worked the first time. I just had to increase the buffer weight because of the addition of the supressor. Which wasn't hard to do. The Geissele Super 42 buffer spring works great and is cheaper. But Geissele ran into some customer service issues last year during their Black Friday sale. I wonder if everyone that bought something from them during that time has actually got their stuff yet. LOL I can't say a bad thing about their products. But customer service is another story. Buffer weight will depend on barrel length and gas system length and wether you're running suppressed or not. But the weight isn't hard to change.

Reactions: MangoFett
Update: what parts I've decided on and some stuff I've ordered so far.

Superlative arms gas block and ballistic advantage barrel ordered as well as well as the vg6 brake and gas tube.

When the aero m4e1 builders kit is in shock I'll order that for the upper/lower/rail

Geissele charging handle, super duty lower parts kit, and Premium MIL-SPEC Buffer Tube with Super 42, H1

BCM grip and stock most likely and maybe their PNT trigger too

Tool craft nickel boron bcg

Likely the gen iii razor for the optic

This turned more into a mid range and higher budget build than I planned for but still doable budget wise and I'm excited about every part going into this so while it may not be perfect or that high end I'm excited for my first real AR. I wanted to have more parts by now but I ended up caving on some woodworking tools that went on a sale price I couldn't pass up on.

I think you'll be happy with the Aero builders set. I just built one of their lowers that will be for my 18" build and it was very good for the money. Get the 4-40 set screw for the rear take down pin. I'm not sure why they don't supply it but they should. That was my only issue with it. If you didn't buy the gas block from Ballistic Advantage at the time you bought the barrel maybe you can call them and tell them that's what you will be using or it will come with a pinned gas block. You will need to dimple the barrel for the gas block. SLR makes a great dimpling jig that makes it easy.

For the optic take a look at the Primary Arms LPVOs. I got one of their 1-8 Platinums with the ACSSS Raptor reticle and it's a great scope at a lower cost than the Vortex HD Gen !!! even with the military/leo discount. It's MSRP is about $1200 and they have lower cost options as well depending on how much you want to pay. It seems to be a pretty tough little optic that hits above its price point. I like the reticle in it better than the Vortex but that's a personal choice.

Reactions: MangoFett
You can get a Larue Ultimate Upper kit for under $800 and it includes their trigger and if you have an UU order you can buy their lower for $200. And if you're in the suppressed game eventually they discount their Tranquilo to $400 if you purchase and UU kit.

I think you'll be happy with the Aero builders set. I just built one of their lowers that will be for my 18" build and it was very good for the money. Get the 4-40 set screw for the rear take down pin. I'm not sure why they don't supply it but they should. That was my only issue with it. If you didn't buy the gas block from Ballistic Advantage at the time you bought the barrel maybe you can call them and tell them that's what you will be using or it will come with a pinned gas block. You will need to dimple the barrel for the gas block. SLR makes a great dimpling jig that makes it easy.

For the optic take a look at the Primary Arms LPVOs. I got one of their 1-8 Platinums with the ACSSS Raptor reticle and it's a great scope at a lower cost than the Vortex HD Gen !!! even with the military/leo discount. It's MSRP is about $1200 and they have lower cost options as well depending on how much you want to pay. It seems to be a pretty tough little optic that hits above its price point. I like the reticle in it better than the Vortex but that's a personal choice.

When I ordered mine there was a drop do an asking for gas block options and I didn't select any. Only thing I selected was a gas tube for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200423-081006_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200423-081006_Chrome.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 24
FN15 would be a good option. High quality parts, CHF barrel and they can be had for around $1k.

This ended up becoming much more than I originally planned but I'm justifying it by if I dodnt order the nicer stuff now if just end up buying it down the road.

It won't be insanely nice but every part ill be happy with choosing.

Build list so far, if it's in bold I already got it.

• Radian 15" billet builders kit
  • Geissele super 42 buffer tube kit, h1 buffer
  • BA 18"spr profile barrel, rifle length gas
  • sup arms adj gas block .750
  • Surefire brake and warden blast diffuser
  • Young mfg national match bcg, chrome
  • Nightforce SHV most likely
  • Geissele trigger group most likely
  • BCM furniture most likely
Trigger group is the only thing I haven't made my mind up on. I want something that's nice but doesn't give up and reliability or durability.

look at thoroughbred armament.. you cane have a good setup for great prices as they build and carry everything from KAC to BCM

I'll value defense and high volume shooting over precision.
Probably going to get thrown under the bus for this but if those are your priorities, you can get a pretty nice AK for a grand! I have several AR's both 15's and 10's but for what your describing I would grab my AK any day of the week. They will eat any cheap ammo, have extra bullet mass over the 5.56 for defense, and they are just fun to shoot! Buy good mags though because the cheap ones are junk! My bedroom closet houses my AK and a 12 gauge. My wife knows how to use her 9mm to get there!

Also our wedding cost us about $4k also and we received about that much back in gifts, it was about a wash. Then it was off to New Zealand to hunt for the honeymoon (which doesn't help the house savings thing but is worth every penny)! Congratulations to you and best of luck!

I would recommend the Larue MBT as a trigger that’s nice and wont break the bank. When I compare the MBT to a Geissele SSA-E, I feel it’s 80% of the SSA-E but for only ~1/3 of the price ($80 vs $240).

This ended up becoming much more than I originally planned but I'm justifying it by if I dodnt order the nicer stuff now if just end up buying it down the road.

It won't be insanely nice but every part ill be happy with choosing.

Build list so far, if it's in bold I already got it.

• Radian 15" billet builders kit
  • Geissele super 42 buffer tube kit, h1 buffer
  • BA 18"spr profile barrel, rifle length gas
  • sup arms adj gas block .750
  • Surefire brake and warden blast diffuser
  • Young mfg national match bcg, chrome
  • Nightforce SHV most likely
  • Geissele trigger group most likely
  • BCM furniture most likely
Trigger group is the only thing I haven't made my mind up on. I want something that's nice but doesn't give up and reliability or durability.

BCM being overrated is a new one on me.

You are getting a PSA rifle that paid COOL guys say is good.

So, yes.... way overrated. I have seen as much trash come from BCM as I have from PSA and the other hobby grade companies.

I would recommend the Larue MBT as a trigger that’s nice and wont break the bank. When I compare the MBT to a Geissele SSA-E, I feel it’s 80% of the SSA-E but for only ~1/3 of the price ($80 vs $240).

That trigger came highly recommended but this last month my local prs style club said there would be a few gas matches this year so I decided to get a few things a bit more tailored for that rather than just general use. I did get a hypertouch eclipse on sale for 200.

With sales that happened over this weekend and other stuff going on random sale this will end up being around 1200-1500. Rather than radian I went with the thunder ranch edition aero receiver set.

I have to say while I did end up straying away from a few things here I learned a ton from this thread and I will legitimately feel confident in every component that I picked because of the help on here and through some dm's.

Looks like a very solid build that will be able to handle just about anything you could ask of it. I agree with PuppyPower on the triggers. The Geissele SSA-E is excellent, but the LaRue MBT-2S is damn good, especially for under $100.

Reactions: Pugster
You are getting a PSA rifle that paid COOL guys say is good.

So, yes.... way overrated. I have seen as much trash come from BCM as I have from PSA and the other hobby grade companies.
Other than some bad machine marks on some of their bolt carrier groups, I couldn't agree less. I threw around 5000 through my bcm upper, and I know plenty of guys with higher round count than I and we've had zero issues. Their barrels seem to be right on par with FN (I have my suspicions that FN is the OEM) and their rifles run smooth. Not as smooth as Daniel defense, but a hell of a lot better than PSA.

Shoutout to everyone who messaged me and contributed on here to help me learn about the platform and what parts I think might suit me. The build turned out to be a back and forth on many things, the main thing was going with an aero set rather than radian so I could spend more on the bcg, buffer system, and trigger and still stay around my budget. Muzzle device is still being thought of but here's a pic of everything else.
20200617_120414-01.jpeg