• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spent the day at the range with these 2... 8s

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Spend all day at the range with these two scopes, tomorrow will be another day, probably get some good video between now and the weekend.

SH_FLG_Shortsdots.jpg

Multiple impressions, pretty consistent opinions from guys who would not only know but sort of employ either of these.

More to follow ...

Re: Spent the day at the range with these 2... 8s

So quick question from someone who currently used red dots on my carbines, and 3+ power (on the low end) for my rifle length AR's.

The question is....Is the red dot I see attached to the Leupold really needed when it can already go down to 1.1 power?

Depends,

In this case, I would say it works, but your mileage may vary... the Leupold doesn't have a daylight visible dot, the illumination only lights the heavy posts with the center open. And in daylight you can't see it.

The S&B on the other has two kinds of illumination including a very visible dot, and true 1x. So the S&B doesn't need it, I would say the Leupold benefits a bit.

S&B 1-8 All the way baby!!

Maybe it's just me, but it feels really odd to look at those two and think that the Leupold is the MORE expensive of the two by almost $1,300...

Looking forward to your take on things LL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B on the other has two kinds of illumination including a very visible dot, and true 1x.</div></div>

What does it matter if it has "true" 1x glass? If it's 1.2x, is that really going to make a difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The S&B on the other has two kinds of illumination including a very visible dot, and true 1x.</div></div>

What does it matter if it has "true" 1x glass? If it's 1.2x, is that really going to make a difference? </div></div>

It matters for parallax

Wow a 1.1-8 scope?! That's amazing. Kind of makes me think of 18mm-200mm camera lenses (was a commercial photographer in my previous life)

Is it even remotely possible it's sharp through the entire range?

LL do you have the TMR or the Horus Leupold? doesn't the Horus version have a different illumination?

HK Dave the S&B is a true 1x.

Lowlight should have some video soon. Was talking to him on the phone about them earlier today and they both sound like excellent optics. Only handled them at SHOT myself but got that feeling then as well.

Lots of Good stuff today at the Range a ton of video going back and forth between the scopes.

I am torn on my conclusion after working them both out to 500m today, I think there are pros and cons for both depending on your need and use.

Lowlight, would you say the reflex sight is a must at CQB distances? If so, that's an additional cost that further puts the Leupold out of contention. I know it has some nice features, but not $1300+ nicer.

no one can tell you what is a must for you be your own man. dont struggle with conclusions just present the facts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Lowlight said:
    What does it matter if it has "true" 1x glass? If it's 1.2x, is that really going to make a difference? </div></div>

Matters a little because you dont get that 'flash' of magnification (however minor) at CQB distance. For me at least

Dang it!!! Seems like one can't just do it all. I like the Lupy set-up, what platforms were these mounted on LL?

I am going to start editing the video now,

I used them both on the GAP10 rifle, both were moved via the QD mounts back and forth from 100 to 500m so it was equal for each.

I really think it matters on your use / need to determine which one is best for you. The guys I was with on Wednesday had one opinion and one set of requirements where I noticed a different end results when I shot them side by side. For me, it made an ever so slight difference.

Anyway I have a ton of footage and will working on putting it into an video people will enjoy that hopefully sheds some light on these two scopes.

The video is rendering working and I should have it rolling by dinner.

There was a lot of footage and even then it could have been split into 2 videos, but getting out the meat of the tests was about 11 minutes worth of footage. I shot of lot of footage doing a bunch of different things, however I really cut it down to what you can use more.

So, it will be running tonight

Drums rolling
    laugh.gif
    cant wait......

Aron-

Video up!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PxHWCDP2msE?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great review, useful information right there, thanks! Leupold over S&B - who'd have thought. Or at least even that close.