• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spit-roasting a pig, island-style.

eflyguy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2021
Georgia
Daughter came back from a few months in Hawaii (68W/Combat Medic), and we've decided to do an island Thanksgiving. I'm going to spit-roast a succulent pig.

Kind of random question to post here, and I've already done a ton of research, plus spoken to the butchers that could source the pig. Just wondered if anyone here has done this and had any tips, specifically around seasoning the cavity and skin, and lbs/person for the pig itself.

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
I've always wondered about this myself, but don't have enough people to warrant cooking a whole pig.

Keep us updated on the adventure. This is something I would love to try.

Generally in Hawaii the pig is cooked in a ground oven. That's part of a huge production of a luau. They use leaves and rocks to cook it over several hours. Not sure if this helps what you're trying to do but its the more traditional way to cook pig in the islands. I thought the info might help decide on how you want to proceed

Good luck

Generally in Hawaii the pig is cooked in a ground oven. That's part of a huge production of a luau. They use leaves and rocks to cook it over several hours. Not sure if this helps what you're trying to do but its the more traditional way to cook pig in the islands. I thought the info might help decide on how you want to proceed

Good luck

Yes, big pit, I believe they use lava rock and banana leaves.

Not really a luau if not done that way.

I have spit roasted pig before, no real tips but obviously remember that a whole pig weight will include bones. In the fire service we try to plan meals at +/- 1/2 pound meat per person.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I've done several pigs, We use a pig roaster, not sure your plan, like said in Hawaii they usually bury it with hot rocks.
We always season the cavity with salt, pepper and MSG, then jam it full with lemon grass and garlic, like lots of garlic and then sew it shut with twine, (you need a good needle for this)
The skin we baste with a mixture of vegetable oil, Worcestershire and MSG.
We started this from a Filipino group so might not jive with your style but in reality the majority of meat doesn't take much flavor from the seasoning pretty much only the stuff with direct contact to the cavity and it changes colour drastically.

When ever I do a pig roast I just ask people to bring sides. a 100lbs pig is cheap and will feed well 40 people easily. Buy that big pack of containers from Costco to send people home with left overs.

On our roaster the pig cooks quicker than you think. like it can be done in 2-3hrs pretty easily.

If doing on a spit make sure you tie its limbs on very well if not as it cooks they get very loose and tender and will fall off.

Seen it done both ways in Hawaii. I thought it was rather plain, although well cooked and easy to cut/bite. Just no barbecue sauce. I'm sure that won't happen at your place.
I suggest, that before you do this, in front of everyone, you try it out with a Butt, or some-such. It takes long lasting coals, like Oak or Mesquite, Or gas, that can be controlled, and an eye on flares, that can catch the pig on fire (!). Try it first, before committing. Gotta find the sweet spot over the heat, watch for burning the leg-stubs, vs, not enough deep heat to cook the back and hams, as it turns. Also gotta truly secure that thing or the off-set weight will tear the spit loose and it will not turn the pig. Try it out first.

Reactions: Slash0311
Philipino style is Lechon.
It is an art, the result is absolutely fantastic.
I bought my wife a large rottisierre, she's used it once. Didn't listen to me because "she knows what she is doing". Wasn't crispy at all, but still very tasty.

Reactions: 308pirate
I wrap mine in chicken wire and tin foil.

Chicken wire holds the pig together. Foil keeps the juices in.

But I roast on a rack, never done a rotating spit. During roasting, at least a gallon of vinegar, molasses, crushed red pepper and pineapple syrup gets introduced to the cavity.

Hope this helps.

Sirhr

Philipino style is Lechon.
It is an art, the result is absolutely fantastic.
I bought my wife a large rottisierre, she's used it once. Didn't listen to me because "she knows what she is doing". Wasn't crispy at all, but still very tasty.

Lechon asado (or "a la varita"/on the spit) is common in many hispanic countries. It's one of Spain's best exports ever. In PR, where I'm from, lechon asado is the old school way to prepare Christmas dinner. Takes almost two days to season/marinate/roast the hog.

1666119873073.png

Reactions: Fig and acudaowner
Daughter came back from a few months in Hawaii (68W/Combat Medic), and we've decided to do an island Thanksgiving. I'm going to spit-roast a succulent pig.

Kind of random question to post here, and I've already done a ton of research, plus spoken to the butchers that could source the pig. Just wondered if anyone here has done this and had any tips, specifically around seasoning the cavity and skin, and lbs/person for the pig itself.
In the Pacific Islands they don't spit roast pigs. They bury them in the ground in an earth oven. In some Polynesian cultures they build an earth oven on top of the ground out of lava rocks. In Hawaii there were a bunch of Phillipino workers back in the 1800s and onward so some people there did it, but it's not as common as the earth oven.

The only places I know of that roast the whole pig on a spit are the Philippines and Bali (Indonesia).

If you want to do the whole pig you can...but you can also do a portion of the pig (like the belly). If you search online for Philippine pig roast you will most likely get a bunch of ideas.

I've had all of the above. Been to almost all of those places.

Thanks for the comments so far.

As I said, I did research. I've had in-ground and spit-roasted pig many times, all around the world, including Philippines and Hawaii.

I'm mostly looking for tips on sizing the pig, and seasoning. I think 30lbs or so should be enough for 8-10 guests. At the moment, I'm leaning towards stuffing the body with pineapple and apple, scoring the skin and applying soy sauce and rock salt, wrapping in banana leaves, and lacing it up with chicken wire. Expect to roast it for about 10hrs and removing the wrap for the last hour or two so that the skin can crisp up.

Obviously none of the dirty bastards in this thread saw the pics that eflyguy posted of his daughter. If they had, this thread would have taken a sharp left turn.

As I said, I did research. I've had in-ground and spit-roasted pig many times, all around the world, including Philippines and Hawaii.

I'm mostly looking for tips on sizing the pig, and seasoning. I think 30lbs or so should be enough for 8-10 guests. At the moment, I'm leaning towards stuffing the body with pineapple and apple, scoring the skin and applying soy sauce and rock salt, wrapping in banana leaves, and lacing it up with chicken wire. Expect to roast it for about 10hrs and removing the wrap for the last hour or two so that the skin can crisp up.
I really do believe you have a few techniques confused here (someone correct me if he's got a real thing)
I've only ever seen buried pigs covered in banana leaves. In my experience it doesn't take anywhere near that time to cook a pig but ours essentially go in a massive BBQ at about 250-275.
You want the skin crispy that's the best part
It's gonna be tough to find a 30lbs pig and there won't be much meat on it.
For a 100lbs pig I usually pay about $200 part of the fun of a pig roast is the spectacle of the animal. Buy a big one and invite more people or do a belly as mentioned. I'd venture if you cook a pig that size over fire for 10 hrs it's gonna turn to dust, no mater how much you wrap it.

Also make sure you defrost it a day or 2 before. Driving a rod through a frozen pig can be fun to say the least.
Obviously none of the dirty bastards in this thread saw the pics that eflyguy posted of his daughter. If they had, this thread would have taken a sharp left turn.
lol, do you know how many people you just sent looking

• Haha
Reactions: eflyguy
One thing noone has pointed out is brining... Before roasting, the pig has to spend at least 48 hours in a tub full of salt water...

When I do a pig, I use a plastic trough with a pound of Mortons salt in it. It will all dissolve. It's a lot of water... probably 100 gallons. Keep the water cold with ice cubes/bags/blocks.

Pull the pig from the brine and go directly to cook. This is really important to a good pig.

Cheers,

Sirhr

One thing noone has pointed out is brining... Before roasting, the pig has to spend at least 48 hours in a tub full of salt water...

When I do a pig, I use a plastic trough with a pound of Mortons salt in it. It will all dissolve. It's a lot of water... probably 100 gallons. Keep the water cold with ice cubes/bags/blocks.

Pull the pig from the brine and go directly to cook. This is really important to a good pig.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Go ahead if you want but I have found little to no difference in brining.

Reactions: Bradu
Go ahead if you want but I have found little to no difference in brining.
I've done it no other way... so I honestly can't speak about the process of 'not' brining. But I learned from some pretty good BBQ wizards in Cumberland County, NC. Where cooking a bad pig can get you killed. Or at least super-glued to an APC and left there overnight. (Not making that up.) Though that incident did not involve bad pig. Just bad performance.

So I'll keep doing it. But I won't argue the pro's and con's. Just that I have always had good luck doing it the way I was taught. And don't plan to change. So folks here can take it with a grain of salt. See what I did there? Really... it's personal choice!!

But if you say it doesn't make a difference, I won't disagree. Just say that I won't take the chance. I only do a couple of pigs a year. And varying from the 'recipe' ain't gonna happen! Too much risk. ;-)

Thanks, though!

Cheers,

Sirhr

So all of us that responded get an invite, right? Im in for a side of vinegar cole slaw and creek fries.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
I wrap mine in chicken wire and tin foil.

Chicken wire holds the pig together. Foil keeps the juices in.

But I roast on a rack, never done a rotating spit. During roasting, at least a gallon of vinegar, molasses, crushed red pepper and pineapple syrup gets introduced to the cavity.

Hope this helps.

Sirhr

Aluminum foil.

I'll see myself out now.

• Haha
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Go drink your pop and eat your hoagie somewhere else.

I’m gonna sit here with my soda and my grinder and put tinfoil on my damn pig!

Flatlanders… sheesh…

Sirhr

Lol,

At least make it a scotch....pop/soda is gross 😝

The last time the entire family got together they roasted an entire hog under ground the night before so buy the time the party started we just had to dig it out all smoked and hot juicy and wonderful wrapped in banana leaves along with everything that needed to be cooked
pretty similar to this except we had rocks and coals inside the pit to keep everything cooking

best of luck with your send pics .

So... Lariat asked me for my 'pig recipe' offline and I don't have any secrets about it, so figured I'd post the full-response here.

There are a million ways to do it... but this is how I learned and have only had 'one' bad pig that was really an issue when I had a defective propane tank and it under-cooked. I saved it by cutting chunks off and finishing on a Weber. It was good, but sucks when 50 people are waiting for pig and it's... rare. Lesson learned: Always have 3 full propane tanks. One main one. One finishing one. And a backup in case 1 or 2 go bad. It happens.

Here is what I sent Lariat:

Absolutely!

I do a couple a year, just for here at the farm... friends, etc.

I had a cooker built a few years ago, (out of a semi-truck Diesel tank... new not used!). Four burner. So I now 'know' my cooker. If you are renting, you have to watch things much closer. I got tired of rental cookers. I always cook on propane with a pan of water over the burners (part of the design). So its' not a dry heat like over charcoal. And I've never done a spit or in-ground. Just so you know!

I've done pigs from as small as 40 pounds (did a goat at the same time and that was wicked amazing good!) up to about 120 pounds which is too big for my cooker, so I had to cut it in half and 'telescope' the ribs to get it to fit. Most cookers will take a 50 - 80 just fine. Cooking 'times' and temps by pound are available online. But a 120 pounder is a long cook. (aka getting up a 1 am to start the BBQ for a 6 PM feed). 50 - 80, I start at 6 am - 7 am.

To prep the pig... make sure the cavity is clean and the 'giblets' are removed. Don't want to find you accidentally cooked a plastic bag of kidneys, liver and other nasty shit. I cut up the liver and cook it well, well done for the cats. I throw the rest away. I don't trust pig organs. But maybe that's just me.

Then I put it in a brine tank with ice water and salt. One of the guys posted earlier that it makes no difference? Honestly, I would not know. I never knew anyone who didn't brine one. So why not do it? Brine for 48 hours but don't let the pig get warm... keep ice in the water. Otherwise the pig can spoil. I also cover it with plastic to keep the moths from falling in. Oh and I keep it indoors. Or the bears and yotes will walk off with it!

On cooking day, I take heavy duty reynolds aluminum foil. The widest kind. And attach strips together in two layers to make two huge sheets of leak-proof aluminum foil. Big enough to completely wrap pig. Folding and 'ironing' the joints of the foil will make it leak-proof. The final sheet is always about 3 feet wide by about 5 feet long. Again, enough to fully wrap the pig.

I set this aside and unroll chicken wire (4-foot wide roll) and get a piece longer than the pig and enough to wrap around the pig. When you cut the chicken wire... leave 'pigtails' on both ends to twist together. AND make sure you don't have any 'little loose' pieces that can fall into the pig. They would not be fun to bite into. Be very careful about this.

Before you put the pig on the foil/chicken wire... take a piece of wire (I use fence wire) and punch holes in the front and rear feet and 'bind them together.' so that all four feet are wired. Some pigs it is easier to bind front to front. Rear to rear. And then put a piece of wire between them. Some will bind together with one piece of wire. But it's important to poke through the pig between the tendon and the bone. Otherwise it will pop off.

Now lay the chicken wire out perpindicular to the pig and lay the tin foil carefull on top of it with the long length parallell to the pig and opposite the chicken wire 'ends.'. Don't cut or puncture the tin foil or all your juices will run out. But as long as you are careful and don't throw things around, the foil will be ok. Now (with a helper) lay the pig, feet up, on its back on the tin foil. Gentley to not poke holes in the foil. Now wrap the foil around the pig, leaving the feet sticking out and a 'slit' in the top to let steam out and to pour 'sauce' in if you want to. And wrap the chicken wire around the pig, the pigtails you left on the wire get twisted together to stitch it closed.

I often do this 'on' the grille itself and then slide the grill into the BBQ. Or do it on a table and sling the pig carefully onto the BBQ, not cutting the tinfoil. Get help. You will break the tinfoil if you try and manhandle it around. Everything at this stage is gentle.

The take one more piece of fence wire and 'hook' the feet to the top of the cooker. Can be around the hinge or over the top. But you want to keep the pig on its back.

Last, your sauce. You may not need or want any! But I learned and prefer Eastern NC Style. Which is a vinegar/pepper molassas sauce that is super easy to make. You take a gallon of white or cider vinegar. Pour out about a pint and replace with a full jar (16 oz or so) of Grandma's Molassas. Then pour in an entire large jar of crushed red pepper. Let sit for about a week before you are going to cook. This is both the cooking and 'serving' sauce. I pour about 1/3rd of a gallon into the cavity of the raw pig. Another 1/2 gallon goes in periodically while cooking. That leaves a nice big bowl full for serving. There is a South Carolina variant which has mustard in it (a thin, runny mustard sauce) which is also awesome, but you'd have to look up a recipe. And then there are the 'red sauces' but, again, I don't use those. One thing I have started doing is using a quart of pineapple syrup. I make dehydrated pineapple chips in my dehydrator. And save the syrup from the canned pineapple in the freezer. I pour this in the pig cavity before adding the carolina BBQ sauce and it's wicked good. I have not done a 'Hawaiian' pig but I have done a goat which you cook packed with rice. That's how I would do a hawaiian pig if I were going to do it. I'd cook a LOT of rice (a gallon or two), but I'd only cook it half-way to 'soft.' Then before putting the pig in the tinfoil, i'd pack with rice (Basmati or Jasmine or brown would be my choice) and then pour in the pineapple juice and 'hawaiian' spices. It's sort of how I did my goat and it was wicked good. Maybe throw some banana slices around it for flavor? Just a thought. Not tried it.

Now with the pig tied into the lid of the BBQ and secure, close the lid and run the cooker for the correct time. I run at about 200 degrees and will bump up the temp to about 280 in the last 2 hours to 'crisp.' Depends on weight. Again with a rented cooker... watch like a hawk! Add sauce throught he slit round the feet every now and then. Despite the tin foil and all the juices, it WILL crisp up beautifully. Cracklin's galore. And the meat will be wonderfully juicy and tender.

When it's time to serve, tear/pull up. Serve cracklin's (pieces of skin) and hamburger buns and cole-slaw. Beans as well. And it'll be a feast. If you are doing it with rice inside, dig rice out and put in a big collander and let the 'pig juices' drain out. And serve. It will be flavored well, but not 'swimming in sauce.' But it won't be fluffy uncle bens either. (Are we allowed to call it Uncle Ben?)

Anyway, hope this helps. I have some pictures somewhere of pigs... but I think the description gives a good roadmap. And, there is no right or wrong way to cook a pig. I'd love to do a spit, but it is an art and done wrong, the whole pig collapses into the fire. I learned the 'safe way' to wrap it to keep moisture in and 'chicken wire' it so that it doesn't fall apart when it gets really cooked and tender.

Last... leftovers are amazing. Taking pulled pork and frying it into taco's... or fajitas... amazing. Cracklins freeze and are delicious like bacon. Cracklin poppers are awesome. So a pig is the gift that keeps on giving. Flavor any way you want! It's all delicious!

Cheers, Sirhr

PS. Disclaimer is that this is not 'the right' way to cook a pig. There are a ton of ways and I'd say most are awesome!. This is one way. Has worked for me and others a lot. If you have another way, I'm always learning!

Last edited:
I gotta say I'm shocked that this thread didn't go completely sideways withing the first 5 posts, this being The Pit and all.

When I attended my 10 year class reunion, one of the teachers at my school was a Pacific Islander, and showed us how to do a pig roast in a pit. From what I can recall, we used wood to get a good bed of coals, put some large rocks in there, put in the pig chunks wrapped in several layers of tin foil, and covered it with damp alfalfa hay. I can't remember what we covered the hole with.

It cooked all day, and it turned out pretty damn good.

I'd love to do a spit, but it is an art and done wrong, the whole pig collapses into the fire. I learned the 'safe way' to wrap it to keep moisture in and 'chicken wire' it so that it doesn't fall apart when it gets really cooked and tender.

I've got over two decades experience smoking and roasting meats, just never done a whole pig. Your post was very useful.

So far, nobody has commented on seasoning, i.e. stuffing the body cavity and flavoring the skin. What I've learned online is soy and rock salt for the skin, which I plan to score in a hash-mark pattern. I am also planning to wrap in banana leaves and chicken wire so it can be slow-cooked. I learned many years ago from competitive BBQ chefs that slow cooking at a much lower temp than many results in some amazing meat - I do brisket and butts at close to 200ºF. I will need to unwrap and turn up the heat later in the cook.