• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sporterized Mauser Price?

Luke

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 29, 2002
    Colorado
    I have this 1941 Turkish Mauser that has been sporterized. It's currently chambered in 30-06. Any rough idea what it's value might be? I'm considering selling it to fund another project, but if it's not worth much I'd just as soon keep it.

P7240245.jpg

P7240247.jpg

P7240248.jpg

P7240246.jpg

Re: Sporterized Mauser Price?

Nice conversion but not a collector's action like a Argie '09 or a Persian.

My guess is it is worth a remington 700. A mauser nut might give a few hundred more.

I'd keep it as is, nice enough hunting rifle.

I think the value could swing a few hundred $$ depending on the quality and condition of the barrel that has been fitted- like any other rifle.

Any info on that?

Nice looking rifle...

It's a Shilen 1/10 twist barrel, very few rounds through it. It also has a Timney trigger on it. If anybody is interested in it let me know. I'd be happy to sell it for the right price
    smile.gif

I don't want to throw a wet rag on your post, BUT, around here anyway, you see a lot of sporterized rifles at gun shows, regardless of action, or barrel, they don't bring much. A couple hundred if you're lucky.

For a hunting rifle, there are just too many modist priced factory rifles out there. If one is seeking an action to restore back to an "as issued" military rifle, they don't want to pay for modifications they are going to trash.

Hopefully your area is different.

I wish you luck of selling it.

Sweet looking stock and the rifle just looks nicely done.
    Since it's a 30-06 and has a nice quality barrel with a pretty stock, it has some nice attributes that are in it's favor.
    It would make a nice, solid hunting rifle.
    The German and the Argentina actions are alittle more prefered than the Turkish but I would guess that the work done on the rifle has made it a sweet hunter.
    If it were mine I would not let it go for less than $400 unless I was hard up for cash. Just my opinion.
    ......SmokeRolls

Luke,

That is a large ring Turk with a small ring barrel. Absolutely 0% collectability on these <span style="text-decoration: underline">UNLESS</span> it is a custom made by a well known custom gunmaker such as you will find in a registry like American Custom Gunmakers Guild. You'd need some kind of proof for that.

Otherwise, what you have is a nice looking, no name 30-06 bolt action built on a Turk Mauser that someone is going to have to pay a gunsmith $20 or so, to give it a shooting bill of health. The best it could bring you is $200-300. I doubt more, unless you run into the right person who just has to have it.

FWIW, if it shoots well, hang on to it and shoot it. If every dime is critical with your new project, then sell it.

Thanks guys, I have zero use for the rifle, but it doesn't sound like it's worth much either. Might make a good gift for someone in the family.

Why don't you stick a good scope on it and see what it will do with 208 A-max's or something of that nature. I think you'll find it's not as worthless as what someone would give you for it. I know, I probably couldn't get a whole lot more for my VZ-24 that I had built into an exceptionally accurate 7x57. That doesn't mean I'd give it away. It means I keep shooting it. After 2200 rounds the barrel hardly even looks worn. Don't give up on that rifle until you stick something on it and shoot it.

Just because the 30-06 is old doesn't mean it's incapable. It's quite capable. You would probably be very amazed at how accurate Mauser rifles and rebuilds can be.

Edit:

FWIW, collectors are only after original condition rifles. Once a Mauser has been customized/sporterized/bubba'd they aren't interested. A re-enactment guy may be interested in it for parts or rebuild to original just to have what looked like that period piece. But, once they've been altered they don't hold any value to the collector.

I don't get attached to things unless I use them and have a practical reason for keeping them. This would make a good hunting rifle, but I don't hunt, and even if I did hunt, my tactical rifle will do the job equally well. Even if the rifle shot 1/4 MOA I still wouldn't use it and the money I'd spend on optics and load development I'd just as soon put towards polishing my skills with my primary rifle. It's hard enough staying proficient and feeding my primary rifle and pistol that I really don't need another gun taking up space...It's not fancy enough (or carry the mark of some self-infatuated "guild" maker...geez don't get me started on the "guild"...) to sit in a safe for the next 25 years and then be sold for profit, so I'd just as soon find it a good home where it can be used as it was made for.

What contour is that?

Over the years I have seen mausers like this. If I had to guess I'd say it is a gunsmith school mauser. A few years ago a turkish rifle could be had for 40 bucks plus shipping and FFL fee.

The three position safety is typical of a conversion as part of the Milling training.

As noted above the Turk looks like a large ring rifle but uses small ring barrels. Makes them the redheaded stepchild for alot of mauser fans.

Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't get attached to things unless I use them and have a practical reason for keeping them. This would make a good hunting rifle, but I don't hunt, and even if I did hunt, my tactical rifle will do the job equally well. Even if the rifle shot 1/4 MOA I still wouldn't use it and the money I'd spend on optics and load development I'd just as soon put towards polishing my skills with my primary rifle. It's hard enough staying proficient and feeding my primary rifle and pistol that I really don't need another gun taking up space...It's not fancy enough (or carry the mark of some self-infatuated "guild" maker...geez don't get me started on the "guild"...) to sit in a safe for the next 25 years and then be sold for profit, so I'd just as soon find it a good home where it can be used as it was made for.</div></div>

Point made. I never did like just having one or two guns, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to own as many as I do.

I think you are right that it would make an excellent gift for someone in the family who wants a hunting rifle. I also didn't note that it was a 3 position safety. I have some like that and they are two position safeties. I'd take either one of them long before I'd ever wish for a Buehler style safety.

-Anyhow, good luck with your choice on this. If you're not real big on giving this away as a gift you might try selling it here. Or, try one of the auction sites. It's not really that hard at all to sell something that way

Thanks all.

Hope I didn't sound condescending there sandwarrior, wasn't my intent. Just that most people look at me funny when I mention getting rid of any of my guns.
    smile.gif

Veer G: I think it's a #3 contour?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all.

Hope I didn't sound condescending there sandwarrior, wasn't my intent. Just that most people look at me funny when I mention getting rid of any of my guns.
    smile.gif

Veer G: I think it's a #3 contour? </div></div>

I didn't take it as such. In fact, it's good to see someone who can take a good thing and let it go because they aren't going to use it. I'm one of those who hates selling guns even if it hasn't seen the light of day in three or four years. That came from having a few, then selling everything to get going in aviation...after a hard financial fall in logging. Going a couple years not only without guns, but the right gun for the right job made me a bit of a gun hoarder. I'm finally back to the point where I can let a few go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all.

smile.gif

Veer G: I think it's a #3 contour? </div></div>

I didn't take it as such. In fact, it's good to see someone who can take a good thing and let it go because they aren't going to use it. I'm one of those who hates selling guns even if it hasn't seen the light of day in three or four years. That came from having a few, then selling everything to get going in aviation...after a hard financial fall in logging. Going a couple years not only without guns, but the right gun for the right job made me a bit of a gun hoarder. I'm finally back to the point where I can let a few go.

I felt like you did a long time ago about the 'guild'. After I started doing a bunch of gun work for myself I realized how much time it takes. And of course time to build skill. That's when I felt a better appreciation for someone who still makes a fine rifle, or any other custom item by hand.

I agree, guild level work takes a great deal of hard work and skill. My biggest problem with the guild is the way many guild members are very rude and have ego's the size of the Hindenberg...just because someone is willing to pay $15,000 for their rifle doesn't mean they're the next best thing since sliced bread.

Put it in the safe and keep it for one of you kids when they are old enough.