• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting a satellite

I've seen the Shuttle dump its lav as it passed over the JSC, the ice crystals making a large light bloom.

• Love
Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I've seen a couple while night fishing or while camping. At first it looked like a shooting star with no tail.

Try to catch a rare Iridium Flare at dusk/dawn.

Ive seen this several times. My Skyguide app alerts me. You have to be sharp, and watch closely, otherwise you’ll miss it.

I once watches a Russian satellite burn up as it entered the atmosphere. I didn’t know what it was at the time. It started out looking like fireworks on the horizon. Then it got closer and bigger. As it flew right overhead, it was in about 100 pieces, all of them tumbling, burning, and leaving a plasma trail. It went from horizon to horizon. It’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen. After reading about in the paper the next day, turns out it was visible from San Antonio to Nashville.

Reactions: Dogtown
Brenda and i were camping last week after a long day’s hunting. We were enjoying the dark night sky and sure enough, a satellite flew over. Brenda related that it had been a long time since seeing one. She also enjoyed seeing the redness of Mars but her favorite view was waking during the night and following the Constellation Orion moving across the night sky

Old enough to remember Sputnik as well, but all I ever saw was the televion coverage.

Parhaps the saddest astrological event was the Hail-Boggs Comet. We motored out in the lake to watch it while our son and his friend drove into Chatham to get a burger. We marveled at the view. It is said that Comets are the foretelling of death. After getting the boat put up, and getting up to the house, we got a call from my sister. Our mother had a stroke and died a week later, never recovering consciousness.

• Sad
Reactions: Srgt. Hulka