• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope $1000ish

You could do 8x-10x binoculars with a camera adapter.

The Razor may be from China. I think they have moved all their binos and spotters there?

I like the Maven, they're good value.

I bought one of the razor 20-60 spotters for a bench target spotting scope. Local Sportsmans had them on sale for 699. Optically it's as good as anything else for the price. It has a made in china sticker on the bottom which pisses me off to no end though.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65. Straight body. Straight body works best from the drivers seat. Used one can be had for around $1000.00

Reactions: BCP
The Razor may be from China. I think they have moved all their binos and spotters there?

I like the Maven, they're good value.
Gen 2 Razor HD spotters have always been Japanese and USA components assembled in USA. Razor UHD bino's are made in Japan. Razor HD bino's are made in Philippines.

Well, then I think you will be opposite of disappointed then :)

Gen2 Razor HD spotters are Assembled in USA with Japan and USA components.
Thanks for stopping by to clear that up Scott. I have really tried to avoid China especially since covid. It sometimes seems impossible but it does make me sleep a bit better at night.

Looks like the original razors was china?

It seems the gray razor spotters are Chinese while the green ones are Japan/USA. My 20-60x85 razor has a china sticker on it.

Not all of them. My old angled eyepiece gray razor hd 20-60 as well as the 30x mil eyepiece for it all say made in Japan, but my example is from early in the production run shortly after vortex started selling them. It's still a very nice spotter.

I think later on vortex moved production of the gen 1 razor spotters to China, about the same time they added the little plastic auxiliary sight under the eyepiece on the angled versions. Feel free to confirm/correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I thought the gen 2 razor hd spotters were made in China too, just like the later production gen 1 spotters... So I'm surprised and happy to hear they're Japan/US production and assembly.

Last edited:
Also thought I should mention. I want to use a digiscope adapter with this. I think that would work nice if we are driving around looking at deer with my kids, if they can just look at the phone screen vs helping them with binoculars

This is a huge benefit to the spotter.

People keep completely missing the fact you're using this for hunting and not PRS like many here only think about. Two very different applications.

I have a sub 500.00 Athlon spotter haven't used it more than 4x - prefer my Vortex DB 10x42's or Sig Sauer Kilo 3000BDX binos over the shooter the glass is much better in the binos than the spotter.

Thanks for stopping by to clear that up Scott. I have really tried to avoid China especially since covid. It sometimes seems impossible but it does make me sleep a bit better at night.

Looks like the original razors was china?
The original 65/85mm razor spotters were originally Japan. Then we moved them to China for the last 2 or 3 yrs they were in full production.

Reactions: mi223
kowa 664/663 is a great scope, and mine has taken a pretty good beating. the 20-60x eyepiece is a bit of a narrow view, the 30x fixed is amazing. I owned a 85mm razor and preferred the smaller kowa even in low light.

as far as adapters i just use phoneskope. Although my next one will probably be the Tines up adaptor.
This will give you much better image quality than any of the "tactical" brands, with light transmission that actually beats a lot of the larger scopes because the quality of the lenses is so high. Eye relief and apparent FOV are generous even with the zoom eyepiece, but the fixed 30x eyepiece has you *swimming* in the image. You'd be surprised at how much you can see at 30x when the image quality is so good. You can reliably find well-loved 663s and 664s on Ebay with an eyepiece, but Doug at Cameraland will take care of you, too.

I am looking to get a spotter. Primary use will be spotting game (deer) from the truck window or tripod. At this point I don't expect to haul it into the backcountry so size or weight doesn't really concern me.

At this budget I can't be to picky on zoom range. As for distance I would say the further the better but I realize I am not buying premium so again I can't be to picky.

Cabelas has razor hd 20-60 on sale right now. That falls well in my budget.

Maven has a 15-45 for 800.

Not sure what else to look at. Not interested in anything from China. I can deal with Philippines or some other country.

Can this be done with my budget or should I just wait?
Zeiss Dialyt 18-45x65 $900.00. This is the truck scope I use. Great price.

I forgot to mention after lead farm I saw you and Brady coming out a bar with your sticks in prosser. Did yall hustle the locals?
Haha, those were the worst pool tables I have ever played on!!

No money to be made there. But we did score some free shots from a couple "bigger" girls (not sure if we're allowed to call them fat chicks any more) 🤣

Cabelas has razor hd 20-60 on sale right now.

Not interested in anything from China.

I own a Vortex Razor spotting scope thats like 6 or 7 years old.

It says "made in china"

Last edited:

I posted my Bushnell LMSS2 on the Px. Those would bill fit the bill.

Talk to Doug at Cameraland. Great supporter here. Knows his business and is very fair to deal with.

I ended up snagging a NIB gen 2 razor 22-48x65 from the px for less than my budget. It should do what I need it to do I hope.

Reactions: TrevK