• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spotting scope and rangefinder on same tripod?

dreamlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
North Dakota, USA
I am looking for a way that i could have a spotting scope(not sure which one yet) and a swarovski range finder mounted on the same tripod. This would have huge advantages in the field. Especially if you could so to speak sight in the rangefinder to the center of the scope. It would be nice to look at target in scope and already have your range finder on target. I surely don't want to carry around 2 tripods or take the time to switch one out for the other. So if anyone has a set up like this or any information on how to accomplish this your help would be greatly appreciated. It just seems so convenient I couldn't imagine people don't already do this.

Re: Spotting scope and rangefinder on same tripod?

Universal Mounting Solution

241448.jpg

I made a plate that attaches to my tripod head and can mount multiple spotting scopes. I put two picatinny sections on it as well, so I could do side by side comparisons of rifle scopes.

I can send you a picture if you want, but really, it's just an aluminum plate with some holes drilled in it and some grooves to align the picatinny rails.

I did something similar to Kombar.

BracketSystem1.jpg

BracketSystem2.jpg

In the first image you can see the spotter, BLRF and laser mounted, then the plate itself.

I measured the center line distance for the Vector eyepiece so as to put the spotter at the same height. Adding setscrews to the QR plates allowed for matching the center of the fields. The QR plates allow me to mount any of my optics.

Another option is to use the Manfrotto 322RC2 ball head and add a 322RA. That puts two RC2 adapters on the single head, one at the end and one on the side.

On my mount the picatinny grooves were done on a mill, so any optics mounted to them "should" align, but I've yet to have two rifle scopes on it at one time.

Right now I align the spotting scopes with feeler gauges, which is clumsy and slow, but as precise as you need it to be. Setscrews are a much better way to go, and I'll be doing that when I upgrade my mount in the next few weeks.

This is my setup

spotterPLRF10setup.jpg

some details of the mount

manfrottohead,1.jpg

manfrottohead,2.jpg

Just LMK if you need more details or specs ,

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwfrazier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is a great idea. How do you get them to co-witness?</div></div>

I assume this can only be done for a fixed distance, since after a fixed point they would separate from one another again. In order to for them to be adjustable I guess some sort of a gear system would need to be designed in order to adequately angle them apart.

If the two optics are 8" apart and aligned to the same target at only 100 yards, the angle between them is only 7.6 MOA. That's about 1/10th of 1 degree. If you choose to align them at a longer range, it will be even less.

In practice, once the optics are aligned, you don't really need to mess with them again.