• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Spotting Scope Budget

shootnfarmer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
I'm looking for the best spotting scope i can get for <$500, to use at the range and hunting pre-season spotting

Opinions???

Thanks folks

Re: Spotting Scope Budget

I have been asking this same question. Competitive shooters have recommended Kowa spotting scopes to me. It looks like most competitions limit the scope to 10x50, so this might be around your price range. If anyone has more info I would sure like to hear it. If you are willing to pay twice as much, the Kowa TSN821 (82mm) was specifically recommended to me.

When you actually look through the Konus and the Kowa side by side there is not a lot of difference between the two. The Kowa is a little brighter and crisper, but the Konus is bright and crisp enough and still picks up the mirage well. I would also take back the comment about the 10x50 limit. That is the standard scope that is "loaned" at the Navy matches, but the top shooters have a 20-60x82 Kowa or Konus. Anchor Zero Six is right on with his website recommendation. I would like to know what you finally decide on.

I was in same situation and I jumped on a Konus Konuspot-80 off of fleabay for $175 drop shipped right from Konus and was satisfied for the cash I laid out. Was using it to spot .22 shots @ 125yds.and worked very well for that. One recommendation is to buy a worthy tripod. The thing is garbage for such a large spotter.

Just my .02cents, but I believe the Alpen 786 20-60x80 is one of the best spotting scopes on the market for the money. There is a review somewhere online where it bests the vortex skyline HD and the Konus

Here is a recent photo i took of the moon with my Alpen.(its not the best photo; my camera had a hard time focusing, but its still pretty clear)
Mike-1.jpg

The big negative I see to the Alpen is the straight line only optic. When you are standing on the line, and especially when prone, it is really nice to be able to rotate that eye piece around. It keeps you from having to roll way out of position, which reduces fatigue and helps you get back on target quickly. It's also more expensive than the Konus, and Jim Owen's site claims that he will give you full trade in value if you ever decide to upgrade to the Kowa. Nice pic though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fireman9143</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The big negative I see to the Alpen is the straight line only optic. When you are standing on the line, and especially when prone, it is really nice to be able to rotate that eye piece around. It keeps you from having to roll way out of position, which reduces fatigue and helps you get back on target quickly. It's also more expensive than the Konus, and Jim Owen's site claims that he will give you full trade in value if you ever decide to upgrade to the Kowa. Nice pic though. </div></div>

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you are saying but Alpen makes an angled version of the 786 called 788. It has a rotating collar so you can turn it to whatever "clock" position you want.

I just bought a 788, ~$390 delivered to my door. It is excellent and I consider it better than the non-ED Vortex Skyline. I had one of those too and returned it because of the CA/color fringing.

I bought a Burris. Was on sale with a decent tripod for 239 locally. I looked through all of the "cheap" ones they had and it was the best, at least to my eyes. I've used it out to 600 and it worked well. No angled eye piece though.

If I were in the same place again, I'd go with the previously posted Vortex model.

I bought this scope for the range which suits me up to 200 yds.
I can see 22lr bullet holes using shoot n c target. Plus it is great for hunting which is light and less than a foot long. The glass is extemely sharp, and clear. The negative part of this is it is only 30 power if you need more power for glassing longer distances, but it is great for back packing. This is the scope.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-30x50-Compact-Golden-Ring-Spotter-P5906.aspx

I have the big Nikon fieldscope in the 25-75X82 with ED glass but the Leupold gets the job done for 200 yds. If more power is required the Nikon prostaff will not let you down with the 16-48X65. I recommended this scope for my sister who likes to do a lot of digiscoping at wild life and she could not afford the big $1200 Nikon I have. I tell you. this scope is also extemely awesome and what makes it better is that you can buy and switch lenses if you choose too. This particular scope has glass which rivals cheaper scopes with ED, or HD glass for the same price. Plus it is also good for the range and your hunting.

http://swfa.com/Nikon-16-48x65-ProStaff-Spotting-Scope-P42416.aspx

Just my 2 cents.

i looked through a kowa at a recent shoot . that thing is nice . but sorry i dont rember exact model . i should have made a note of it

The review that was done stating the Alpen was the best scope for the money was performed by a bird watching committee. I checked out most of the scopes that they listed, and they are right, the Alpen is above its price class in quality.

I just went with the Konus scope off of the Jarhead website, because of the trade in ability. They have a great review and seem to work very well. I have not received it yet, but I am excited to see it work.

Good Luck