• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting Scope Help

commandernavi

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2012
Texas
I urgently need advice on a spotting scope to get. I am attempting to get something that is capable of discerning .30 cal holes up to as far as 600 yards as humanly possible (I know that this is very hard even for the top-notch spotting scopes), but I definitely want something to work well to 300-400 yards.

Unfortunately my budget isn't super high. I don't want to spend over 200 dollars, so please help me out with finding the best option possible in this price range.

I say urgently because I am going to be shooting at ranges between 200-400 this weekend and would really love to pick something up before then.

Also, if you can provide details on where to buy this in Houston, Tx, I would be very appreciative! Thanks!

Good luck with that. Theirs no spotter under 1000 dollars that could spot 30 cal holes that far. Shit, you'd need a telescope for that.

The best scopes I have seen for the money are the Vortex and the IOR and I am not sure they are not "as" good for your needs than those which cost much more. Hold on to your funds and save instead of buying something that will disappoint you.

There is another way to go. Set up a cheap video camera down range at the target that will transmit wirelessly to your Ipad or other wireless device. It will not help you in the field but works well for targets.

I agree the Konus is about as good as it gets in your current price range, it is ok, but obviously not stellar. I would get something better myself, but it seems like I always end up wanting/buying better glass for my rifles rather than getting a better spotter.

Check out Vortex's spotting scopes. The Viper HD's can be had for $500, and would more than likely serve you well.

I'd like to go with j-dubya on this one... I bought a Vortex Viper, it wasnt cheap, but it looks to be the better scope for the money. I had a Barska, and i didnt like it all that much, but i decided to bite the bullet on the price and buy one last scope. People say that the paying the higher price once is cheaper than trying two or three different ones.

To follow up on this i just saw it on another SH thread. www.Targetcam.net and there is a $70 discount for hide members. You are going to pay about $700 but the idea of having it for other applications is rather appealing.

With the amount of magnification you would need for that you would also need a rock solid tripod which will add significant cost relative to your budget.

Not to mention the effect of mirage under certain conditions.

If you could get away with shooting at an ar500 steel plate, paint it white and you will be able to see the black spot left by a hit at those ranges through a relatively inexpensive spotter. You will also hear it.

Last edited:
I looked at the vipers and while they look great, I simply don't have the money. I was honestly hoping to only spend 100, but it seems that I won't get anything good for that much at all, so was hoping the 200 range would help a bit. Some have suggested Konus as the best deal for glass. Anyone else have input on Konus?

This one in particular? http://www.amazon.com/Konus-7120-20...?ie=UTF8&qid=1362728505&sr=8-1&keywords=konus

Regarding the cam. Unfortunately that is so way out of my budget, I can't touch it :(. Also, i can't really use it for hunting which I was hoping the spotting scope could help me with in the future. Thanks for the suggestion and the tip about the discount though!

Given all of your considerations you might be best served by just paying the extra and using the shoot and see targets at the range and using your rifle scope.

I also bet you have some friends who have spotting scopes which they might lend you to try. Anyone who has a decent scope *knows* that trying before you buy is important. The last time I looked the spotting scopes that Cabelas had for their store brand were the best I found for the money on the lower end. If you order an Alaskan Guide series from them and it will not do what you desire they will take it back. Bass Pro's store brand is not what you want as I have worked, for all of 3 minutes, with one before my friend who purchased it took it back.

My best advice is still to wait until you have more funds available to spend on something that you know will work. I used to take another rifle with me to the range that had a 16x scope just to use for spotting at the range. Not very sexy but it worked. Another trick is to just use plain targets but arrange things so the sun is shining on the back of the target making it much easier to see the holes.

It sounds like the OP has limited experience with spotting scopes. They are not used to spot bullet holes at 600 yards, or even at 400 yards. And if his budget is $200 there's no point in wasting the money - because for that you won't be able to get anything that works well for the intended purpose of a spotting scope.

That said, having seen the new Bushnell Elite 8-40 LMSS I think it will be tough to beat in its price range.

I saw the Bushnell at SHOT and that looked good although it was rather hard to judge the quality indoors. But it has a MSRP in the range of the Vortex.

Last edited:
I just found this scope for 205 dollars. Would it be a better option than the Konus or will the glass on the Konus still make it the better deal? Thank you!

Amazon.com: Redfield Rampage 20-60x80mm Angled Spotting Scope Kit, Black 114651: Camera & Photo