• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope help

Midwest Optics

Owner Midwest Optics
Minuteman
May 2, 2019
US
midwestoptics.net
Ill start off by saying I'm completely new to long range shooting. Looking for something to track hits on paper out to maybe 500 yards. Won't be used for hunting or matches or anything, just casual range time. Looking to spend around $500. Is it possible? And what does everyone reccomend?

A quality optic is the Hawke Endurance ED 16-48x68 Spotting Scope - Green #56200 on sale for $499.99, reduced from $629.99.
  • Extra-low dispersion glass for optimum clarity
  • Dielectric coatings designed to increase light reflectivity
  • Fully multi-coated optics to produce sharp images
  • Close focus - see detail from 16.4ft/5m
  • BAK-4 porro prisms for intense color and contrast
  • Dual focus knob to achieve ultra fine focusing
  • Body rotation for viewing in virtually any position
  • Stay-on soft scope cover for maximum protection
  • Twist-up eye cup and pull out sunshade
  • Digi-scope compatible for use with your camera

Reactions: Krawlven
There aren't many spotting scopes (if any) that will let you see bullet holes on paper at 500 in different environmental conditions, certainly not in your price range. Some days even 300 yards will be pushing it if conditions are bad (heavy mirage, say). A target camera is probably a better path to take if you want to spot bullet holes at 500 yards. A spotter is useful for far more though, observing mirage, effects of wind down range, spotting trace, etc.

Reactions: johnrice
There aren't many spotting scopes (if any) that will let you see bullet holes on paper at 500 in different environmental conditions, certainly not in your price range. Some days even 300 yards will be pushing it if conditions are bad (heavy mirage, say). A target camera is probably a better path to take if you want to spot bullet holes at 500 yards. A spotter is useful for far more though, observing mirage, effects of wind down range, spotting trace, etc.

What would u recommend sir

Reactions: Vaportrail22
@Steel head what’s your setup on scope and camara?
Bushy legend T
Phonecam adapter with iPhone 7/8 case.

It’s been very helpful recording shots a bit past 2000 yards as I rarely have a spotter.
If I’m not seeing the impacts I record my holds and mildly bracket the target
In the video I can usually see the hits and with the reticle I can make a accurate adjustment using my noted holds.

Reactions: xocyrusx
Bushy legend T

It’s been very helpful recording shots a bit past 2000 yards as I rarely have a spotter.
In the video I can usually see the hits and with the reticle I can make a accurate adjustment using my noted holds.
Perfect thank you... Much appreciated.

Bushy legend T

Second this! I ran this set up for a while. For the money, you can't beat the Bushy Legend T. You will learn way more with a spotting scope than a target camera.

It is really hard to see bullet holes at 500. You can easily record awesome video and often see the trace of the bullet and impact on steel.

Reactions: Steel head
Because of your posts I’m looking into the Bushnell but has anyone compared to the optics of the vortex viper HD? Obviously the reticle and aesthetics are much different.

I didn't compare them side by side, but I would still get the Bushy over the Gen 1 Viper I had. I don't think the Gen 2 are that much better.

Reactions: xocyrusx
I didn't compare them side by side, but I would still get the Bushy over the Gen 1 Viper I had. I don't think the Gen 2 are that much better.

thank you. I ended going with the Bush because of this thread and the suggestions... will be here on Monday... we will see