• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Spotting Scope Recommendations - Old man edition

powereng

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2009
West Michigan
Looking for a spotting scope for my 78 year old father. He does some occasionally shooting but mainly interested in looking at the deer that hang out 500 - 600 yard behind his house. He would like to be able to attach it to his smart phone so he could take pictures to "show the guys down at club". I'm thinking $500 price range. Yes, I know that's chump change for this crowd. 🤑 Thanks.

Reactions: SMC21
Looking for a spotting scope for my 78 year old father. He does some occasionally shooting but mainly interested in looking at the deer that hang out 500 - 600 yard behind his house. He would like to be able to attach it to his smart phone so he could take pictures to "show the guys down at club". I'm thinking $500 price range. Yes, I know that's chump change for this crowd. 🤑 Thanks.
Take a look at the Maven CS.1 - 15-45x65 (CS.1 - 15-45x65 – Maven Outdoor Equipment Company (mavenbuilt.com). At $650 it is a little above your range, but your dad will be very pleased with the quality.

I actually have a Celestron regal M2 65 It has ED glass and fully coated optics I would argue it’s the best bang for the buck. It will come in under your budget PM me if interested

Reactions: freedom71
Here’s my experience. I used to be a pro photographer and am pretty snobby about glass.

If your dad’s primary motivation is to film stuff with his phone, then the key component is the phone/scope interface. I found that you’ll wind up using the scope with the phone attached 100% of the time, as it’s not simple to really snap it on/off without messing up the alignment on the subject. Plus, it’s great looking at a comparatively huge image with both eyes off the phone vs one eye off the eyepiece.

While I don’t own this (yet), this unit gets rave reviews at $170. A single gripper of the same thing daves you $20. It’s worth the extra $20 imho.

My experience: prairie dog shooting with my fairly nice Razor 27-60 85mm vs my brothers complete POS Walmart special. In bright daylight with a phone, it didn’t matter. Irritating!

Can’t remember the phone adapter my bro used. It was a pain in the ass!

So, if I were your dad, I’d buy that adapter and spend the rest on the scope. I think I know the type of guy your dad is, and the video is what he wants.

The only fly in the ointment is low light use. When does your dad typically see the deer? Guessing the regular hours, like dusk/dawn, but maybe he’s trained them to be 9-5’rs lol.

So buy a sub-$330 scope and see how it works in lower light with a phone (just hold up the phone to test, the phone might see better than your eye can, depending). Maybe use a TP tube, cut to just the right length and fitted over the eyepiece, for a better test. Return scope if it sucks.

I saw a 100% video spotter somewhere, no phone needed, but then there’s the prob of getting that video onto his phone.

edit: I forgot about the needed $20 scope eyepiece adapter. That scope is gettin’ cheaper!

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Leg...&sprefix=legend+spotting+scope,aps,187&sr=8-4

Bought this scope a year ago to use at a range that goes out to 1400 yards. I don't have any top end glass, so i have nothing to compare it against, but it has done everything i asked out of it. I can spot shots at 1000 meters and the glass seems comparable with the Philippino glass in the rifle scopes i have, maybe a bit better. Pretty sure it is still under 500 bucks.

I picked up one of these Spot Shot wifi cameras and it attaches directly to the spotter.

It creates a wifi signal and you can watch it on numerous devices including TVs. You can also download the video/images to a phone or tablet.
I know it's chinese, but...

$89 on Amazon.

Screenshot_20210202-180927_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210202-181006_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: memilanuk
I have a SME it’s pretty cool and easy to use.
Mine actually died, it stopped broadcasting the WiFi signal. Company took care of it no questions asked and had me a new one in about 2 weeks. But some of that was in USPS delays.

I’ve tried a few phone scope adapters with mixed results. This thing is super easy. There is also a new version now that has a video screen on it as well

https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Legend-781545ED-15-45X60-Reticle/dp/B01BNSHXCU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2V7PK3M8Y4OHI&dchild=1&keywords=bushnell+legend+spotting+scope&qid=1611583417&sprefix=legend+spotting+scope,aps,187&sr=8-4

Bought this scope a year ago to use at a range that goes out to 1400 yards. I don't have any top end glass, so i have nothing to compare it against, but it has done everything i asked out of it. I can spot shots at 1000 meters and the glass seems comparable with the Philippino glass in the rifle scopes i have, maybe a bit better. Pretty sure it is still under 500 bucks.
I have this scope as well. A few quirks but otherwise very good, especially for the money

That Bushnell Legend is a poor choice....don't know why people here seem to like it so much. It has a pic rail and reticle....omg, it must be good🙂

I bought it and a used Athlon Ares HD, the Gen1, 20-60x80mm. The Athlon ran circles around the Bushy....of course on equal power settings. Not even a close comparison....could not sell the Bushy fast enough and kept the used Ares (pristine) that I paid $400 for.

Attachments

• 20171115_090743.jpg
    20171115_090743.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 30
I picked up one of these Spot Shot wifi cameras and it attaches directly to the spotter.

It creates a wifi signal and you can watch it on numerous devices including TVs. You can also download the video/images to a phone or tablet.

I think I saw this, or something very much like it, in the local Sportman's Warehouse a few months back.

Any idea how many devices can be connected to it at once?

We have an intro class coming up in a couple months, and I was thinking it might be helpful to be able to put something like this on *my* spotting scope, so more of the students can see what I'm talking about as we walk thru the process of getting the shooter on target, hold-offs, etc.

I think I saw this, or something very much like it, in the local Sportman's Warehouse a few months back.

Any idea how many devices can be connected to it at once?

We have an intro class coming up in a couple months, and I was thinking it might be helpful to be able to put something like this on *my* spotting scope, so more of the students can see what I'm talking about as we walk thru the process of getting the shooter on target, hold-offs, etc.
Awesome idea. I just grabbed mine and had no issues connect 4 devices to it. (All apple products spanning about 6 years in age). I did have a very very early iPad that is so out of date I could not run the software.
It does require an App to be downloaded which is free and you can certainly have students do in advance.

Only experience I have with spotting scopes is the Athlon Ares 15-45 that I bought a bit over a year ago. I don't have experience with anything better, but I was impressed by the clarity when I was seeing spider webs at 100 yards.

It does require an App to be downloaded

That was one thing I was hoping to avoid... but on the other hand, it's probably simpler than trying to walk every Tom, Dick & Harry thru connecting to wifi and finding a web page - like I do every time we have matches with e-targets :rolleyes:

That Bushnell Legend is a poor choice....don't know why people here seem to like it so much. It has a pic rail and reticle....omg, it must be good🙂

I bought it and a used Athlon Ares HD, the Gen1, 20-60x80mm. The Athlon ran circles around the Bushy....of course on equal power settings. Not even a close comparison....could not sell the Bushy fast enough and kept the used Ares (pristine) that I paid $400 for.
I happen to like my bushy legend T
Is glass as good and my buddy’s Kowa Prominar?
No but for calling corrections it slays the prominar.

Nobody is saying you can't like your Bushnell Legend T. Hell, there's plenty of people happy with a BSN/Leapers/Tasco riflescope on their rifle. The OP stated a budget and a use and asked what would be the best recommendation. No mention of a need for a reticle to call corrections....he's watching deer. For that use, the Bushnell Legend T is an inferior choice that I have firsthand knowledge of. I'm not saying an Athlon Ares is the best choice....but its better than the Bushnell. Doug at Camera Land echoed the Athlon as a best choice for the OP's needs for what its worth.

Thats all dude.

Comparing the bushnell legend spotting scope to a tasco riflescope is pretty unfair. I don't know that you can compare the Athlon Ares to it without talking about price. One thing i would be interested in would be knowing where they are made. I am pretty sure the Athlon is made in China. Is the Bushnell made in China also?

Come on Marine...you're getting way too butt hurt over the generalization. All I said is that I compared the 2, side by side.....the Athlon was clearly better. Carry on 🙂