• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotting scope Tripod

HDWRENCH

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2018
Looking to pick up a Athlon Ares , but have not sure on the tripod , some times it will be used in the truck bed other times prone or bench . Is there one unit that will do it all ?

Then the mount if it can swivel or not Gimbel maybe ??

Use will be spotting elk , target use 600+ etc .

Open to any all opinions and please give me details on why its being suggested thank you

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the Hide, it will be our pleasure to help you with the tripod and the scope. We appreciate all of the support here

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000
[email protected]

Reactions: davidwiz
Cameraland will treat you right. They’re a well-respected vendor on the Hide. Deal with confidence.

No doubt from what I gathered . However I am still looking for guys that hunt with these and their direct input as to why they choose a certain item and how it works for them or in fact they would go a slightly different route if they did it over ..

No doubt from what I gathered . However I am still looking for guys that hunt with these and their direct input as to why they choose a certain item and how it works for them or in fact they would go a slightly different route if they did it over ..

You should post this in the Equipment sub-forum. It is much more viewed and it is where tripod questions usually get a good response.

This being said, a lot of it comes down to what you want to spend. There are many people here that use RRS. However, those are $$$$. Another one I have seen discussed for less $$$ is the PIG made by Hog Saddle. Their website is here

Hog Saddle

However, it is heavier than the RRS so maybe not so good for hunting.

Good luck

You don’t need that kind of stability if it’s just dedicated to your spotting scope weighting a couple of pounds. Don’t spend more than $150!!!

You should post this in the Equipment sub-forum. It is much more viewed and it is where tripod questions usually get a good response.

This being said, a lot of it comes down to what you want to spend. There are many people here that use RRS. However, those are $$$$. Another one I have seen discussed for less $$$ is the PIG made by Hog Saddle. Their website is here

Hog Saddle

However, it is heavier than the RRS so maybe not so good for hunting.

Good luck
actually, they just announced a shorty version of the PIG 311 tripod which would be ideal for spotters.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/short-pig0311-gs-field-tripod.6891342/#post-7102822

The guys at Camera land are great to talk to , no issues there . He made a suggestion on this unit . Good price , I think the Athalon Ares angle 20-60 . is the new scope .. not 100% but it had great reviews .. I set a budget of 1000 for the spotting scope . Just need a quality tripod . not the best but something that will not be a PIA item to deal with .

if you need to know about a harley engine I am your guy but not so much with the SS and such. So I hope to learn along the way and rely on on real worlds hands on dealings Just now at 48 and kids gone do I have the cash and time for my hobbies I put on hold for way too long

Sirui T-004x with VA5 fluid head

Let us know how it works out. I’m looking for a lightweight tripod/head for backcountry hunts, as well.

Reactions: HDWRENCH
This is from another thread, but still is a great tripod for little money and the two heads that work well for me

I found a Zomei Z818 tripod and have hung 25lb of weight with an 85 size spotter on it and it would have taken more. Rock solid in the wind. With a PIG saddle it shoots well too. It is cheap but well made with twist locking legs, large ball and a hook that juts out of the tub side for easy access when hanging weight. If you want dead on accuracy get a gear head, for speed a pistol grip. Here is what I prefer:

manfrottto gear drive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URXUC9O/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

slick ball grip
https://www.adorama.com/slaf1100e.html

Zomei Z818
https://www.ebay.com/itm/351807849681

Reactions: HDWRENCH
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the Hide, it will be our pleasure to help you with the tripod and the scope. We appreciate all of the support here

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000
[email protected]

Ah Joel! Bought my tripod from him yesterday. I tried to get in on that sale but I'm on the W. coast, didn't know they were E. coast and got in touch late. They took care of me anyway. Even offered another tripod that would have cost less ($99 for the kit, like $40 off) and I would have taken it had it gone low enough. Got a great deal on a Sirui, which looks to be on par with Manfrotto, comes with two center posts so it'll go down to 5" and can take 16lbs., just what I needed (this was important to me, if you wanna use it in the prone and stack a bunch of gear on it). I forget the model, was about $127 shipped, can't complain.

Tripods will drive you fucking crazy man, and the heads are even worse. Like an OCD guy trying to build an AR for the first time. See what other people use, then call Joel or his brother. I wasted time trying to brush up on 'em, there's like 10,000 and they all look the same to me. Just figured I didn't wanna spend a lot on something I don't know much about so I made sure it could do what I needed and down the road if I need something else I can always sell it since it's a nice one and upgrade. You never really know what you need until you need it.

Still not pulled the trigger And I agree it can drive you crazy I had no idea that there are so many types and so many options .. I think I would like a speed grip for glassing .

azred33

great list and thank you for taking the time for links . I think i am going to just say screw it and buy one and see how it goes I am over it . going over and over ,.. looking over the details and then trying to compare them HA HA

Precision Rifle Solutions should be able to set you up with a good kit. I went with their HD tripod and pistol grip ball head for my MK4 spotter, and I’ve been completely satisfied.

The HD tripod is heavy though, much more of a range option. They should be able to put you in the ball head and a standard tripod for 150.