• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR 5.56 Larue OBR

Brandon7766

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
I've been looking at the Larue OBR to turn into an SPR, a precision rifle, should I do the 18 inch / mid length barrel or the 20" inch with rifle length gas system?

Re: SPR 5.56 Larue OBR

Either will do you fine, I run a 16inch OBR and it runs at 2717 using SW Ammunitions 77GR. I've made consistent hits out at 735m on Larue targets (Although not enough RemE to knock them down) . Its pretty much preference on what you like, both will do you fine.

My personal opinion would be the 20 inch rifle length. I say that becuase the 20 inch barrel can help squeeze a little more velocity out of the projectile and for long range accuracy, the longer barrel may help but will not hurt. Im a big fan of rifle length gas systems i like their reliability overall, just my opinion.

Heath

If the added length and weight isn't a significant issue, a rifle length gas system coupled with a rifle length buffer system certainly makes for a smooth operating setup. Not a requirement by any means for an accurate and reliable rifle, but the difference is noticeable in my experience.

If your main job for this rifle will be precision, go with the 20". For Defense/3 Gun/Accuracy combo, go with 18". Assault, duty, or defense, go with 16" or less.

Just my 2-cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My personal opinion would be the 20 inch rifle length. I say that becuase the 20 inch barrel can help squeeze a little more velocity out of the projectile and for long range accuracy, the longer barrel may help but will not hurt. Im a big fan of rifle length gas systems i like their reliability overall, just my opinion.

Heath </div></div>

I agree.

Not sure how far you'll be shooting but, a 20" isn't going to make that much of a difference unless you're really stretching the caliber. But if you're picking up an OBR.. maybe you are.

For me, I'd save the 2 inches and go w/ an 18". JMHO

My vote is for 20" ---If I only had 1 AR it would be 18"----but......variety is the spice of life--ha!

Either or but make sure you get rifle. I wouldn't want a 18" with a mid length gas system, just not my preference. I love my mk12 mod 1. But i can't deny i wouldn't like to build a SAM-R

I was thinking about the 5.56 OBR as well but then I found out that .308 Federal ammo is cheaper (I'm not in a position to reload right now) by about $8 a box, so I'm thinking about going with the 7.62 OBR now.