• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPR: LMT vs CLE Krieger/Bartlein

Jdfd556

Private
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2013
PNW
Hi all,

Another SPR thread for everyone to enjoy. I’m in the market for a new SPR and it will be a 16” 5.56 being fed exclusively BH MK262 Mod 1 and BH 77 tmk. Optic will be NF ATACR 4-16 tremor3. There will be a suppressor direct threaded onto the barrel (either CGS Helios DT or HYPERION K). I’m currently debating between an LMT MLR with their 16” stainless steel barrel or a CLE Bartlein/Krieger with the barrel specs that I got from @bigjake83 in another thread. Those specs are as follows: 16" Krieger/Fluted SDM contour/ .750 intermediate gas/ CLE Match chamber/ 5/8 threads. If I go with the CLE option, the barrel will be put into a LaRue Stealth MLOK upper/handguard set with JP FMOS, Seekins Lower with Vltor A5. I’d love to hear everyone’s experiences with the LMT 16” stainless 5.56 barrels as well as the CLE Bartlein/Krieger barrels. Some specific questions I have are:
LMT 16” stainless barrel accuracy and life
Barrel life of CLE Krieger/Bartlein (I know they shoot amazing)

At the end of the day, I have 2 LMT’s already (12.5) and really enjoy them but am looking for a dedicated SPR. Will I be disappointed with the LMT stainless barrel accuracy vs the CLE option or is it comparable?

Thanks all! (I have looked and searched through all the SPR threads and couldn’t find answers to a couple questions listed here).

Reactions: bigjake83
Either will be great, but I would stick with a wylde chamber over the CLE chamber. Or you could also buy a basic LMT and install a bartlein barrel in it.

Reactions: Jdfd556
Not the same barrel, but I have a 20" SS factory .308 barrel from LMT with 500 rounds on it so far. It seems to be a very consistent 3/4" gun with FGMM 175s and a bit better with my handloads. I'm not saying it's the ultimate in accuracy, but I have been very impressed with the stainless LMT barrel and its definitely more accurate than me.

It might come down to cost differences between the options and whether you want adjustable gas.

SPR and LMT aren’t two words I associate, even if the barrels are allegedly accurate.

It really depends on what you really want to do with the rifle.

I think if you are purely shooting for groups, I would lean towards the Krieger. I think that that profile will be a touch more consistent. With that being said, I really like my LMT SS barrels for my MWS. I think they are more than accurate enough for what I am doing.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, most likely going with the LMT and stainless barrel and if accuracy is lacking, CLE will be getting a call.

As someone with both small and large platform LMT, and all 3 variants of mk12, I vote getting a Proof barrel fitted to an extension by Dave Wilson.

Last edited: