• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Springfield 1903 optics rail questions

7722ERIC

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
NH
Hi guys I have been lurking for quite a while and finally have a question. Looks like my dad is going to give me his springfield 1903. Over the years he sporterized it with a monte carlo stock and had it blued and removed the irons. It does still have the weaver 4X scope on it though. Can you recomend a gunsmith that I could send the rifle to to get inspected, replace worn or nonservicable parts? I would like to have it parkerized and add a optics rail as I have a Falcon 4X14 I would like to place on it. Thanks for all the good info. Eric

Re: Springfield 1903 optics rail questions

If you are looking for an optics rail for it, Ken Farrell makes a nice rail for this action, He makes mounts for rifles that are usually hard to find anything with a picatinny type mount. The springfields are accurate but the lock time on them is probably one of the slower ones due to the 2 peice striker/firing pin assy and the cocking peice knob. You could reduce the lock time by having the cocking piece turned off in a lathe. That is what I would do if I planned on getting better accuracy from it, and it is no longer a collector peice. jmho

Sorry to be unhelpful, but a small part of me dies whenever I hear about a sporterized 1903.
cry.gif

Thank you for the info. I just sent him an email. Eric