• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Springfield 1903 optics rail questions

7722ERIC

Private
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2008
NH
Hi guys I have been lurking for quite a while and finally have a question. Looks like my dad is going to give me his springfield 1903. Over the years he sporterized it with a monte carlo stock and had it blued and removed the irons. It does still have the weaver 4X scope on it though. Can you recomend a gunsmith that I could send the rifle to to get inspected, replace worn or nonservicable parts? I would like to have it parkerized and add a optics rail as I have a Falcon 4X14 I would like to place on it. Thanks for all the good info. Eric

Re: Springfield 1903 optics rail questions

If you are looking for an optics rail for it, Ken Farrell makes a nice rail for this action, He makes mounts for rifles that are usually hard to find anything with a picatinny type mount. The springfields are accurate but the lock time on them is probably one of the slower ones due to the 2 peice striker/firing pin assy and the cocking peice knob. You could reduce the lock time by having the cocking piece turned off in a lathe. That is what I would do if I planned on getting better accuracy from it, and it is no longer a collector peice. jmho

Sorry to be unhelpful, but a small part of me dies whenever I hear about a sporterized 1903.
cry.gif

Thank you for the info. I just sent him an email. Eric