• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Springfield 1911 Loaded Operator

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Any opinions on this 1911? I'm looking for my first 1911' and this is right in my price range. I was looking at Kimberly last year but it seems their QC has gone down. My local shop has this gun available for $1100

Re: Springfield 1911 Loaded Operator

Buy the Springfield they don't use that MIM metal bullshit. I own Sprinfield and Kimber and the kimber has had all the metal injection molded pieces replaced because they do not hold up to hard use.

I'd go for a loaded 1911 from springfield I think it has everything you could want from a production gun. There is better 1911's out their but not for $750.

i just got a springfield range officer and am very happy with it just my .02

I would recommend staying away from Kimber. You are correct that their QC has dropped drastically over the last decade or so. Springfields are great and their customer service is wonderful. Most 1911's under $1k have MIM internals and some perform better than others. I would stick with Colt, Springfield, S&W, Dan Wesson. All these have forged frames and slides and stand behind their work.

I've got the loaded lightweight operator and I love it. It's a bit lighter than the full steel frame, but everything else is the same. It's been very accurate and reliable. If you're getting a 1911, get one with all the features you want on it instead of trying to do it piecemeal. You'll get it cheaper if you find the model with these options.

Im leaning towards the colt "new agent"

the only thing the gun didnt have that I really want is the beveled magazine well. It adds like a quarter inch to the length of the grip which makes it much more comfortable to me. And it also makes loading mags a little easier. But this option doesnt come on the gun. I have to figure out a way to add it. The two tone black and green color looks sharp, and I was fairly impressed with the lines of the gun. Most of the edges where pretty smooth, and the trijicon night sights was a nice addition. I just dont know enough about 1911's to buy it the first time i saw it.

when I look in my safe I see all my other 45's....Glocks, Sigs, HK...I really want to add a 1911 to the family. I had been looking at Nighthawks and Ed Browns, but for that kind of money Id rather have a S&B PM2

The Springfields do have a little bit of tapper on them at the mouth of the mag well. And with enough practice you wont have any issues

Im looking to take advantage of the extra length on the grip that comes with the wide mouth mag well. Just that little extra length makes it much more comfortable in my hands.

Just in case you have some desire to shoot accurately, the Springfield Loaded model is spec'd to group within 3.5" at 25 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im assuming that is good for a pistol?</div></div>

It's reasonably acceptable. Frankly, I'd be surprised if any Springfield shot that large a group. My stainless MilSpec is consistently under 3" if I do my part. Generally I'm using Black Hills Blue Box 230gr. hardball.

Springfield builds a great gun. FYI, Springfield uses MIM parts in their basic models. If you buy the Professional model I'm pretty sure it's bar stock throughtout. I've never seen a failure of a MIM part in a Springfield but I've seen several MIM failures in Kimbers. I think its a quality control issue.

I've had a Firing Pin Stop crack on my Loaded model in 9mm. Springfield sent me a replacment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShtrRdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just in case you have some desire to shoot accurately, the Springfield Loaded model is spec'd to group within 3.5" at 25 yards.

</div></div>

Are you referring to the Springfield Loaded, or the Springfield Loaded Operator? The Operator is a much higher-end pistol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShtrRdy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Are you referring to the Springfield Loaded, or the Springfield Loaded Operator? The Operator is a much higher-end pistol. </div></div>

The Springfield Loaded. </div></div>

I believe the OP was referring to the Operator.

johngfoster I believe the OP was referring to the Operator. [/quote said:
Ah, ...... good point. I don't know what Springfield specs the Operator to do. Thanks for pointing this out.

I picked up this Range Officer a few weeks back. I also have this 1911 "Loaded" Model. Both are good performers. Springfield makes something for most everyone's taste as far as finish and price. They are somewhat hard to find, as Springfield doesn't flood the market with them the way some of the other manufacturers do. I got both of these at a well stocked shop near my house. The other 2 are a Trophy Match and a Stainless Long Slide I picked up. I'm partial to Springfield's, although my Kimber Stainless II has been a good performer.

SpringfieldRangeOfficer4.jpg

SpringfieldHK45s007.jpg

SpringfieldHK45s011.jpg

Springfield1911LongSlide004.jpg