• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield 2020 Waypoint?

Bender

Known Troll
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2014
    Cheyenne WY.
    That looks like a hell of a gun for the money.

I try to just like what I already own, but now I lust after this. seems like a nice rack grade rifle for us poors.

1633613983850.png

1633614055545.png

Reactions: buggz
    Not really.

It's a slapped together "Let's jump on the bolt action precision rifle bandwagon" overpriced product when you can get a better Tikka, Bergara or Christensen for less.

I can't see anything in it to command that pricing, albeit retail will probably be less.

Just buy the Manners stock and put your barreled action in it. Done and done.

Although I am a big SA fan. Even with all the drama. Don't care. Until it's a proven barrel, the Tikka is a way better option for a lot less. And well supported considering its proprietary footprint.

Reactions: floridajpr
    I've only handled one in the shop. Priced at $1,899 for the non adjustable/carbon barrel, it's more than reasonable to me. Fit and finish looked fine, action felt good. IF I needed a lightweight prc, I'd have no problem buying this.

by carbon i assume we mean sleeve like the bergera B14 barrels

i'd rather build one on an origin. can get pretty damn close to that price point even with a carbon barrel

Reactions: FuhQ and bajeep93
    Not really.

It's a slapped together "Let's jump on the bolt action precision rifle bandwagon" overpriced product when you can get a better Tikka, Bergara or Christensen for less.

I can't see anything in it to command that pricing, albeit retail will probably be less.
    Have you actually seen one? Cause the one I played with was not like that at all. The action felt just as good as my Origins and actually better out of the box. They are made with EDM Wire cut raceways and an integral lug and all other custom features. The only unknown at this point is if the barrels shoot.

they don't look so bad wonder how the feel in the hand . Still not a huge fan of composite stocks but at least it's not plywood .

@Bender - I messed with one.
    it was decent.

Personally, I would look at a HAVAK from Seekins vs this.

Or as noted, grab an Origin, a prefit, and a good deal on a LW stock.

Or buy a Tikka. 😉

I have the green version. got it back in may. ive had a bergara hmr and it was nice, but this rifle shot the best group ive ever shot. and no (100 round) break in period like the christensen. i have about 175 rounds down it with no problems so far. I put a vortex razor lht 3-15-50 on it. i wanted a really nice hunting rig. I didnt get the adjustable stock. i dont feel that i needed it, but for the money i think it was a good buy. Everything remington shoulda done to the 700 but never did. I dont regret for a minute buying this rifle. Not cutting on christensen but when i was looking for what i wanted i saw to many problems from them to make me drop the coin on one. Ammo is too high to drop 100 rounds to get it broke in, and the headspace/ejection issues. The ridgeline and traverse was what i was originally looking at, both are really nice and both priced similar to the springfield in the same configuration. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
    Never been the biggest fan of Springfield but these seem serviceable. Decent stock, AICS mags, and threaded barrel for around 2 grand, I am sure there are better options in the price range but i would check one out give then chance.

Have you actually seen one? Cause the one I played with was not like that at all. The action felt just as good as my Origins and actually better out of the box. They are made with EDM Wire cut raceways and an integral lug and all other custom features. The only unknown at this point is if the barrels shoot.
    No, I need to pop into Collectors Firearms and see if they have one in stock.
    I was harsh with the "slapped together".

Reactions: RFutch
    So in other words it's not a real carbon barrel like a Proof? Just a carbon covered marketing gimmick?

What do you mean "not a real carbon barrel"?

Both start with a steel barrel and machine them down. Both are then covered in carbon fiber. There are slight differences in the process, but they are more alike than they are different, no?

What do you mean "not a real carbon barrel"?

Both start with a steel barrel and machine them down. Both are then covered in carbon fiber. There are slight differences in the process, but they are more alike than they are different, no?

Structurally the are quite different honestly

Resin used, mfg process of the carbon
    layup couldn't be more different, modulus of the fiber is more than likely very different again because of the lay up mfg process for starters.... The carbon will behave very differently with a sleeve rolled with prepreg carbon vs filament winding

I have worked in composites for awhile for company that did barrels for fierce and proof back in the day before they both started doing their own in house... Not arguing anything about performance x vs y but they are very much 2 different products.

Last edited:
    Resis used, mfg process of the carbon
    layup couldn't be more different, modulus of the fiber is more than likely very different again because of the lay up mfg process for starters.... The carbon will behave very differently with a sleeve rolled with prepreg carbon vs filament winding

I have worked in composites for awhile for company that did barrels for fierce and proof back in the day before they both started doing their own in house... Not arguing anything about performance x vs y but they are very much 2 different products.

Appreciate the incites.

What I mean is it is if it is just a fluted barrel that is sleeved then I doesn't really save any weight versus just a fluted barrel. The main point of having a carbon barrel is weight savings right? I might be reading it wrong but sounds like the barrel has a lot more steel and a lot less carbon then say a proof. Is that correct?

What I mean is it is if it is just a fluted barrel that is sleeved then I doesn't really save any weight versus just a fluted barrel. The main point of having a carbon barrel is weight savings right? I might be reading it wrong but sounds like the barrel has a lot more steel and a lot less carbon then say a proof. Is that correct?
    yeah the weight savings are probably much less than a proof or similar design. Sure its definitely lighter than a same diameter steel barrel, but in this case it seems that the carbon fiber is there for stability and heat dissipation instead of significant weight reduction

That's not necessarily correct. The main point of the carbon sleeve is that it is stiffer than steel. So a carbon sleeve on a thin fluted steel barrel is going to be stiffer than a steel barrel of the equivalent weight.

As the steel barrel expands under heating, the tension between the carbon sleeve and the barrel is going to increase, giving more rigidity to the assembly.

What this means is that your barrel is going to be stiffer on the initial shot and after repeated shots.

A stiffer barrel is going to give you lower amplitude and higher frequency harmonics, meaning your accuracy is going to be less sensitive to load development and will stay more consistent as the barrel heats up.

The way that bsf does the sleeve, the air gap between the sleeve and the barrel will act as an insulator. It's just there to protect the carbon from delaminating l. What this means is that the steel barrel will actually heat up faster. I don't know if that shortens the barrel life. You can ask bsf to machine slots into the carbon sleeve so that the barrel could dissipate heat faster if that's a concern.

Also, the way bsf does the sleeve, the steel is really only coupled to the carbon at the two ends of the barrel.

The way proof does the wrapping is completely different. The carbon is mechanically and thermally couples to the entire length of the barrel. They also use a different resin and a different pattern of fiber weave. They claim this gives them better heat dissipation (ie even over a steel barrel) and the barrel is certainly stiffer than steel barrel of the same weight.

Whether there is a practical difference in terms of a accuracy after repeated firing and barrel life is hard to say without some hard data. It seems like the proof process could be a more well rounded solution while bsf way is a cheaper way of getting similar benefits while making some compromises.

Not really.

It's defenitely not slapped together. Most of all the reviews of this rifle are against your opinion. It is a very well made rifle from SA. Christensen Arms have way more reviews stating how bad of quality they are. Bergara are great rifles though.

Reactions: Duck888
    You save 6oz with the carbon fiber barrel from the fluted steel barrel.

I bought the 308 carbon when it came out because I sported one of my fav stocks has a silky smooth action and loved the weight. Already had a couple of christensen and customs with proofs. It is one of my favorite hunting rifles now. I pick it up over my fierce. It loves the 178 eldms and 175 smk. .3 all day long. But what I getbfrom it that I do not from christensen and proof, is cold bore shots that are impacting the same as the last round of a 10 round string. I guess it's the barrel tensioning?? Whatever it is I really appreciate it in a hunting rifle. Ordered the 6.5 prc last week. My SAKO in 6.5 prv is just a tad too heavy for the mountains.

It's defenitely not slapped together. Most of all the reviews of this rifle are against your opinion. It is a very well made rifle from SA. Christensen Arms have way more reviews stating how bad of quality they are. Bergara are great rifles though.
    The last review I saw about it on youtube (albeit the only one) was it wasn't 1 MOA accurate.

Reactions: FuhQ
    The last review I saw about it on youtube (albeit the only one) was it wasn't 1 MOA accurate.
    There aren't many accuracy reviews on YouTube for the waypoint. I will say that mine in 308 doesn't like the eldx bullets at all. I am however getting .3 - .5 moa accuracy with several different factory loads.

I hunt with the match hornadys in 308. Mine will shoot the black box 168 Amax into .6. Handloaded 168 amax into .5. Hates eldx . About .75 in the 168 eldm. 1" with 150sst superformance. 175 smk has been the best groups. I picked up some heavy bergers to try. After 150-180 rounds it is even tighter now with smks. .2-.3 ish... the more I run this rifle the more I like it. I'm only 50 rounds of Norma (all i could find) into the 6.5prc I finally found. It's going to be a shooter also. IMHO this is the better hunting rifle of any others I have. I own Christensens, fierce, SAKOs, Tikas, remmys, Seekins and a DD Bravo. If the S20 was less weight it would edge out the rest for a hunter. It is the most accurate and consistent tho. And cheaper. Couldn't believe Euro had them for 1100$ last month

Last edited:
    That looks like a hell of a gun for the money.

I try to just like what I already own, but now I lust after this. seems like a nice rack grade rifle for us poors.

View attachment 7716562
    View attachment 7716563
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted folks to know the reality of these rifles after handling one personally...

It feels cheap. The barrels are carbon-sleeved like a cheap "CF" .22LR barrel, and NOT a true carbon-wrapped like a Proof or Christensen barrel. No way in hell I'd pay $2,500 for that without a REAL carbon fiber barrel on it. Look into the Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Proof Research, Fierce, Seekins, etc... They all have the same actions and features, and REAL carbon fiber barrels, and are in the same price range as the Waypoint. The Christensen Arms Ridgeline and Ridgeline FFT both come factory with a 2.5-5.0 lbs. adjustable TriggerTech already installed. 👍🏼

Last edited:
    I’ve had my waypoint for 3 weeks now and 135 rounds down the tube. It is THE most accurate factory rifle I have ever shot! Just yesterday I was shooting at 517yds and had a 2” group, I have nothing but good things to say about the rifle. When shopping for a new rifle I looked hard at Seekins, Fierce, and CA. Seekins was a fine rifle, I was interested in the PH2 specifically. I couldn’t get past the plastic stock, I’m sure it shoots great and functions perfect just a personal preference for me. The Fierce has considerably worse fit and finish. CA didn’t have the stock configuration I wanted and way to many complaints lately in accuracy and customer satisfaction. The SA 2020 waypoint checked all the boxes the action feels like it rolls on ball bearings, the AG Composite stock is perfection the carbon barrel is amazingly accurate and consistent. Comes with a TriggerTech trigger and adjusted easily to 2.5lbs. What more could I ask for? It’s a 6.5PRC I’m shooting 147 eldm currently but shot 143 ELDX just as well.

Last edited:
    I have only been around 1 that a friend owns, and it is proving to be very difficult to get it to shoot better than 3/4 to 1 inch groups. The action feels worse than a savage. This is only the experience of one rifle, but not impressed

RE: Waypoint 2020...
    Is there MOA cant built into that scope base? What size rings did you go with?

It comes with a 0 degree. I use nightforce ultralight rings. The med lines me up with the cheek weld. On a non adjustable stock I usually buy a few sizes and return what does work. I have several AG stocks so they are all the same with ring size.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted folks to know the reality of these rifles after handling one personally...

It feels cheap. The barrels are carbon-sleeved like a cheap "CF" .22LR barrel, and NOT a true carbon-wrapped like a Proof or Christensen barrel. No way in hell I'd pay $2,500 for that without a REAL carbon fiber barrel on it. Look into the Christensen Arms Ridgeline, Proof Research, Fierce, Seekins, etc... They all have the same actions and features, and REAL carbon fiber barrels, and are in the same price range as the Waypoint. The Christensen Arms Ridgeline and Ridgeline FFT both come factory with a 2.5-5.0 lbs. adjustable TriggerTech already installed. 👍🏼
    I have those other rifles too. Better fit and smoother action on the WP. Matter of fact it picks up a round and glides better than my Defiance Ti and as good as my Bat. The CA and the proof will string when they get hot. Mirage comes on faster also. (My carbon X doesn't string but it is a 6mm creed so less heat than the prc) I have yet to see the BSF barrel string and it takes more work and wear on tooling to flute and tighter tolerances to tension sleeve a barrel than to wrap carbon around a pencil barrel...
    I own a machine shop so some knowledge here.

• Haha
    Reactions: FuhQ
    It comes with a 0 degree. I use nightforce ultralight rings. The med lines me up with the cheek weld. On a non adjustable stock I usually buy a few sizes and return what does work. I have several AG stocks so they are all the same with ring size.
    Did you leave the 0 degree on it or add a cant base? I heard that the base is also pinned in place. Might make swapping a little tricky.

I used the base that came on it. They do make a 20 pic base with the 2 holes for the pins. I use a NF on one and Trijicon on the other so both have enough elevation to get me as far as I shoot.