• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new Springfield 2020 Waypoint Rifle

Looks like a decent rifle. Hopefully its got decent QA (it has to be better than Remington). Im wary about the pricepoint and quality, especially since they will only guarantee .75 MOA.

But it does look like a good rifle and another option for people, especially hunters.

Looks like a decent rifle. Hopefully its got decent QA (it has to be better than Remington). Im wary about the pricepoint and quality, especially since they will only guarantee .75 MOA.

But it does look like a good rifle and another option for people, especially hunters.
Agreed. I would strongly consider for my hunting rig. Its nice to see quality aftermarket parts and features on a factory rifle instead of house brand stuff that will get replaced.

The barrel is fluted under the carbon wrap? 95% of the barrel is not in contact with the carbon? Cooling air gaps? That sounds like the exact opposite of what you want. That sounds like a barrel that's going to start stringing after 3 shots because the carbon is keeping the heat in. Conduction > Convection.

Hopefully it's better than every single other thing Springfield makes. It looks like a cool rifle with some nice features. Pricing is in direct competition with Christensen, and the stock is a lot nicer than the funky geometry the Christensen's come with.

The CF stock, the TT trigger and AICS mag compatibility were definitely a fast-track to success--- @Punkur67 was right: they've been paying attention to the LR and precision shooting world. Wonder why they put the radial brake on instead of just threading to 5/8-24 tpi to let the user pick their own muzzle device of preference like most of the other mfgs? Also wonder why 90 degree bolt instead of 70 degree if you were starting the action design from scratch? I don't mind 90 but some folks prefer 70.

Sucker is a good looking rifle though...

Agree with @UpSideDown . @Frank Green of Bartlein commented elsewhere about the value of the carbon fiber "wicking" (I think...) heat away from the steel; if there's less surface contact between steel and carbon you'd think there'd be less of this mechanism. (...wayyyyy out of my element now......)

Thank you @Newbie2020 and @UpSideDown , you guys answered my question before I had a chance to ask. I personally haven't gotten my hands on a carbon fiber wrapped barrel yet, so I have no experience to base off of. But I was nevertheless curious about how the wrap would work with fluting.

I like the looks of it as well but not going to be a guinea pig test mule.
I don't worry much about accuracy guarantees and generally view them as marketing.
I have bought to many rifles with no accuracy guarantee that easily shot factory ammo at .5" moa or better.

It does look nice but then the Seekins Havac exists for about the same price.

The stock does look nicer on the Springfield... but I don't know if I would choose it over the Seekins.

Options for a decent price never suck.

For a full featured rifle aimed at hunting, I think 0.75 MOA is pretty good for an accuracy guarantee.
I just looked and didnt see an MOA guarantee for the Havak.

I do like those Havaks though and have since they were released.
hard to spend the $ When my current hunting rifle just hammers.

Seekins handles that different. It’s more of a “shooter’s satisfaction” guarantee. But they definitely stand behind their products and their ability.

I don't think Bugholes "Southern Precision Rifles" implies any accuracy guarantee either but haven't ever heard of any of their rifles not shooting to expectation.
Thats why i said I feel like it's more marketing, there are to many shooters that can't shoot .5" moa consistently even with the finest custom rifles made.

Reactions: Stoweit and CuTm
How do you carbon wrap a fluted barrel and end up with it being round? You would think it would end up being multi sided. From pics of other BSF barrels it looks like they just shove the barrel into a carbon tube and tension it with a nut on the muzzle threads?

I don’t blame Springfield for feeling obligated to put a 0.75 moa guarantee on their new rifle. If you’re late to the dance you gotta stimulate some interest and buzz and out the door sales. All in the face of a lot of well-established competition at a time when a lot of factory rifles routinely shoot sub moa out of the box with quality factory ammo.

Two or five years from now, if quality and accuracy are top-shelf, word will get around and the guarantee won't be essential.

Reactions: XLR308 and Secant
I don’t blame Springfield for feeling obligated to put a 0.75 moa guarantee on their new rifle. If you’re late to the dance you gotta stimulate some interest and buzz and out the door sales. All in the face of a lot of well-established competition at a time when a lot of factory rifles routinely shoot sub moa out of the box with quality factory ammo.

Two or five years from now, if quality and accuracy are top-shelf, word will get around and the guarantee won't be essential.

Alot of people want to see that guarantee, and it is a good marketing strategy regardless of what I think.

download.jpeg-5.jpg

It is likely within their capability to produce a .5 MOA gun, but for the purposes for which it was intended (general purpose hunting/target rifle, sporter-ish weight barrel), coupled with the costs associated with such a stringent warranty (allowances for warranties and the projected liabilities associated with warranties are an actual item on the balance sheets of manufacturing companies), a more lax standard is just fine.

I'm not all that concerned about this product. The cheapest version's projected street price is a few hundred more than a Bergara (Bergara guarantees 1 MOA - 3 shot groups), the action is a model 700 custom action, and Springfield isn't making the barrels, the trigger, or the stock.

They're likely producing the action and that's about it. They seem to be using modern processes to make it (at the least, they're using a wire EDM for the reaceways), and if QC is consistent, modern CNC produces a good product. They aren't reproducing the wheel on the action, and in the absence of an ability to grab one, chuck it up into a lathe, and start taking measurements to ensure concentricity and lug contact, it looks to be a good action based on the features.

It isn't as advanced as a Bighorn or ARC action, but it does look like a pretty standard custom action with a lot of the goodies people want in a custom R700 footprint action. They very clearly wanted to take advantage of the existing manufacturing knowledge base for the model 700, both to reduce costs and to reduce the propensity for error in rolling out a new product.

Here's my take on actually buying one. IF the action is good and they can actually shoot once in the hands of normal shooters (none of this press gun nonsense), then for the cost of the base model with a steel barrel, I'm in as much as it costs to purchase and barrel my own action, but I get a CF stock, a DBM system, magazine, trigger, and a pinned scope rail included in the purchase price. I can torch the throat out of the rifle and rebarrel it easily with another contour if I want.

It's a good value buy if it can actually perform, and it represents quite a bit for the purchase price.

Options for a decent price never suck.

For a full featured rifle aimed at hunting, I think 0.75 MOA is pretty good for an accuracy guarantee.
I just looked and didnt see an MOA guarantee for the Havak.

I do like those Havaks though and have since they were released.
hard to spend the $ When my current hunting rifle just hammers.
My thoughts exactly. If it performs, it will offer a lot of value for the money to someone looking at getting a new hunting rig.

I’m on board for one. Any word on when to expect hitting shelves?

I like the looks and calibers offered. I am sure they will release more depending on how many they sell..

They've clearly got someone who's into long range shooting on their design team and want in to the growing segment.

That said, their 1911's have lots of the "right features" too and yet most of them are crap, not to mention the whole XD line of pistols are terrible and should've been discontinued/abandoned long ago.
To me, Springfield Armory = "the other Ruger" the way they jump on the trends and strive for mediocrity, making a zillion "ok-ish" models, but nothing amazing... They're good at marketing and selling guns though, just none I'd buy.

Reactions: UpSideDown
They've clearly got someone who's into long range shooting on their design team and want in to the growing segment.

That said, their 1911's have lots of the "right features" too and yet most of them are crap, not to mention the whole XD line of pistols are terrible and should've been discontinued/abandoned long ago.
To me, Springfield Armory = "the other Ruger" the way they jump on the trends and strive for mediocrity, making a zillion "ok-ish" models, but nothing amazing... They're good at marketing and selling guns though, just none I'd buy.

I wouldn't put them on the same level as Ruger. Ruger is one small step above Taurus, Springfield's stuff is more like S&W minus revolvers.
Springfield's custom shop 1911s are on par with WC, Nighthawk, etc... They're new Waypoint rifle looks way better than the Ruger RPR, but we will see.

That's not a good comparison at all since Ruger doesn't offer anything similar to the Waypoint and they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
I agree and I wasn't comparing them. I was responding to Ceekays post who said he thinks Springfield is the other Ruger.

I agree and I wasn't comparing them. I was responding to Ceekays post who said he thinks Springfield is the other Ruger.

Gotcha, I wouldn't personally agree with that either.
I do however wish Ruger would bring something similar to the Waypoint as a semicustom light weight hunting rifle.

Springfield and Ruger have handguns on equivalent levels of lameness. If Springfield can make this new rifle as well as Ruger makes .22’s they’ll be ok.

Reactions: CK1.0
Convincing review. New gun, new expectations. The reviewer had no down checks, and everyone who shot it wanted one.

I want one, too; but it's O/O my price range (but not by a whole lot).

I'll be watching it and hopefully the election will favor us folks and we can see how the prices vary once the market stabilizes again.

Greg

Great review from a guy who admits he doesn't do a lot of long range shooting and wouldn't buy one as a result.

Let's hear from someone who does A LOT of long range HUNTING and SPORT SHOOTING.

Great review from a guy who admits he doesn't do a lot of long range shooting and wouldn't buy one as a result.

Let's hear from someone who does A LOT of long range HUNTING and SPORT SHOOTING.

we all know gun rags are just for fun, but nothing bothers me more than the author not being skilled in that "category".

Reactions: Awesymoto
we all know gun rags are just for fun, but nothing bothers me more than the author not being skilled in that "category".
I agree. Especially when something is purpose designed. Have someone else test and write about it.

That's the same tool that claims a mini 14 is better than an AR15 and that any pistol that doesn't say Glock is a piece of shit.
If he says something is great, I'm immediately suspicious..

Like gun manufacturers he's there to sell guns.

If you have a better review feel free to post it.

Like gun manufacturers he's there to sell guns.

If you have a better review feel free to post it.
If you want to base your decisions on information from an idiot like him, knock yourself out.
Your reply shows that you know he wouldn't give factual information.

If you want to base your decisions on information from an idiot like him, knock yourself out.
Your reply shows that you know he wouldn't give factual information.

My decision was to provide a YouTube review of the rifle on the chance that it may be helpful for some.

But because of you, I plan to squat in a ditch and poke berries up my nose until there is sufficient evidence in your eyes about its viability.

Kindly post all of your (no doubt first hand) factual information on this rifle.

My XD missed that memo. 20k rounds and counting over the past 12 years. I occasionally clean it, nothing more.

What is the right pistol?

That's the same tool that claims a mini 14 is better than an AR15 and that any pistol that doesn't say Glock is a piece of shit.

He's so good looking, though... o_O

My decision was to provide a YouTube review of the rifle on the chance that it may be helpful for some.

But because of you, I plan to squat in a ditch and poke berries up my nose until there is sufficient evidence in your eyes about its viability.

Kindly post all of your (no doubt first hand) factual information on this rifle.
Please point to where I said anything about the rifle. My point was, the person in the video is a lead paint eating moron.
How about this: wait for a) more than one review, b) a review from someone unbiased and c) a review from someone that isn't an idiot.

Last edited:
He's a dude with an opinion, I suppose like anyone else. I'm not privy to any motivations, mercenary or otherwise, that he may have.

That said, I will try to evaluate independently of that fact because everyone is a dude with an opinion. He's at least honest and open that long range shooting is not his forte and he's not all that interested in it, but the groups were promising considering the light weight of the gun and the inexperience of the shooter.

Not personally motivated to buy anything from that company after two garbage handguns from them. But... it does look sweet.
Don't forget this

Springfield has been a garbage company for decades. The only product they made that was Remotely decent, was custom shop 1911.s

Everything else from trash XD (Er HS2000) pistols, shitty M1A's, Brazilian garbage 1911s and garbage tier AR's as of late.

A Trash company with Trash ownership working with the gun banners.

Ruger actually makes functional firearms despite horrible autist aesthetics.

The XD is considered by most firearm experts and top trainers to be the biggest piece of shit pistol on the market. In the 00's and early 10's it was common to see them in classes, and they went down at a rate much higher than anything else. Some trainers even banned them from their classes, getting tired of wasting time trying to unfuck garbage guns instead of training students.

Reactions: CK1.0