• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Springfield Armory 6-20x56

Re: Springfield Armory 6-20x56

I had one some years back, it was made in Japan and the glass was very good, I didn't have any problems with mine, but knew that they where having problems and sold it to avoid any headaches.

They were originally made by Hakko and were VERY hit and miss in terms of quality/reliability. I have seen/used several different models of the SA scopes, including the 6-20x.

When you found a good one, they were decent scopes. However, they were often plagued with a range of problems. Some don't track well, the bubble levels on some tend to not be level, the glass is marginal at best (even for a $500 scope...some are just okay while others I have seen have a yellowish hue to them), the BDC reticles generally don't match up even with the prescribed ammo (168gr Match).

Last I heard, Springfield DOES honor the warranties on the scope. However, they don't do any work on them in the US, so they have to be sent to Japan for work. After months of waiting/wondering...you may get back a working, usable scope or you may end up right back where you started.

Greywolf said it well about being ahead of their time. The ideas were good...execution was less than good. If you can get one for a steal (<$300) then you can't go wrong since you can probably whore it out on eBay for twice what you paid for it. Otherwise...don't waste your time or your money!

I actually own one of these scopes, and have had to send it in to springfield twice, both times they sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and turn around time was about 2 weeks. Not to bad if you ask me. I agree with the others on the quality, the bubble level in mine is off by a very noticeable amount, and when I sent it in to have them check it, they said it was fine. It might be if you are cross eyed! But it does track well, and the glass is good in my opinion. I would go with a nikon monarch better glass and quality for about the same cash.

Burris made some of them, at least according to the lady at Springfield Armory when I called about them in the mid 90's. Not bad scopes, very good coatings and definately Japanese glass. As above they track good and held zero no problem. I personally haven't had one in a while now but mine stood up to being jacked around on an M1A for years. I have a nephew stationed at Quantico with one for sale that works good. Pm if interested I will give you his contact info.

I have one and it has been back to spring once last year for a non tracking turret. It was fixed and back in less than two weeks, I have had zero problems since. Would I buy a second no just for the simple fact that there are better scopes out there for the same money or less.

Hope it helps you in your quest!

Thank you all for the great input. I've got one on the way, just picked it up for the heck of it. Curious to see what it'll do.

I had one with the Gen3 reticle. Really great scope for me, with absolutely no problems at all. It sat on top of my AR10 for quite a while, but I ended up selling it due to money problems, and went the Super Sniper route.

Since going with the Super Sniper, I have never went back to a 56MM objective. Just too big and not enough benefit for me.

DK

I have one.. and it's been perfect but for one small detail. Glass is really good, the box test results sin a perfect box, level if level. Turrets, ocular and parallax all turn with the perfect amount of tension. However.. my reticle is a mil-dot which is fine, but the turrets are in 1/4".. Yep, ahead of their time before they knew what customers really wanted/needed.