• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Springfield Armory SOCOM II

ptalar

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2009
I was thinking about picking up a Springfield Armory SOCOM II Rifle but a friend of mine advised me that the short barrel in 308 is a ball buster. He suggest I go with the Sprigfield Armory Scout Version of the M1A/M14. This rifle will only be used as part of a collection and for occasional plinking, and varmint hunting. I collect Battle Rifles as a Hobby. But I do like to shoot them occasionally. Any thoughts?

Re: Springfield Armory SOCOM II

I have the scout version and Its my favorite rifle without question. Either way you'll enjoy shooting them guaranteed. dont let your self get all excited about all the different stocks and optic choices for it either, just enjoy the iron sights and spend that money on ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the scout version and Its my favorite rifle without question. Either way you'll enjoy shooting them guaranteed. dont let your self get all excited about all the different stocks and optic choices for it either, just enjoy the iron sights and spend that money on ammo. </div></div>

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

You will be happy with either, but I would go with the SOCOM II. good luck with the decision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about picking up a Springfield Armory SOCOM II Rifle but a friend of mine advised me that the short barrel in 308 is a ball buster. He suggest I go with the Sprigfield Armory Scout Version of the M1A/M14. This rifle will only be used as part of a collection and for occasional plinking, and varmint hunting. I collect Battle Rifles as a Hobby. But I do like to shoot them occasionally. Any thoughts? </div></div>

The 18.0" Bush/Scout/MK14 are my favorite variants of the M14 rifle, but I have no problem with the 16.25" SOCOM
except I would not pay extra for the rail cluster that comes with the II. SEI is currently building a 16.25" M14 for me
and it will be in a SAGE EBR stock with a folding CTR butt stock. I don't know what optics/mount I'll be using yet.

I have used both, they are reliable rifles.

Both are nice options. I think 18" is a little bit better for a "short" .308 but having said that I have a SOCOM with the 16.25" barrel. I bought the VLTOR stock for it and the cluster rail but haven't changed it over yet. The stock as is from Springfield is pretty nice for it being a battle rifle so I am unsure of whether I will change it over. I'll probably due the VLTOR stock but depending on weight of the rail and "bulkiness" I may just sell that.

Either the 16in or the 22in for me, never seen a spot for the 18in the other two did not fill.

The 16in is quite loud & SEinc is the only source I know of for upgraded muzzle devices, they sure are handy little rifles.

Going to use one this weekend at a multigun, can't make up my mind though, 16in Sage PIG or USGI spec M25
confused.gif

I am sure it will be alot of fun with my 16yr old using his AR15 and me with a new rifles to test.

Good luck

If you're collecting Battle Rifles, I'd go with the standard 'loaded' version. The other versions aren't nearly as authentic (IMHO, and I carried an M14 in combat for 13 months), and the M14/M1A clone functions very well with USGI spec ammo. With good bedding and ammo, it can outpeform the N/M versions. Mine did.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The 16in is quite loud & SEinc is the only source I know of for upgraded muzzle devices, they sure are handy little rifles.</div></div>

SEI's SOCOM kit adds a little length to the 16.25" barrel and the barreled action ends up being about an
inch shorter than the 18.0" barreled action with a GLFS and DC Vortex making both very handy little rifles.

socom_kit.lg.jpg

If you install the kit pictured above make sure you install SEI's M14 SOCOM Gas Plug. This stubby gas
plug has more volume for gas than a standard GI gas plug and it clears the M14-DC sound suppressor.

gas_plug-composite.lg.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're collecting Battle Rifles, I'd go with the standard 'loaded' version. The other versions aren't nearly as authentic (IMHO, and I carried an M14 in combat for 13 months), and the M14/M1A clone functions very well with USGI spec ammo. With good bedding and ammo, it can outpeform the N/M versions. Mine did.

Greg </div></div>

Yes. I was reviewing the "Loaded" version of the standard M1A with the 22" barrel on the Springfield Website last night.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This rifle will only be used as part of a collection and for occasional plinking, and varmint hunting.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was reviewing the "Loaded" version ... last night. </div></div>

The loaded version of the standard M1A is a good value... a better value would be finding an older
standard or loaded M1A that was built with many USGI parts and one that can be purchased cheap.

22.0". 18.0" or 16.25"... it's all good.

I had a SOCOM II and found it to be too muzzle heavy with that huge rail system for my taste. The SOCOM without the rail system would be fine but I went with the Scout and had a Carbon Fiber stock installed. Either way, they are a blast to shoot and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I like my SOCOM II but don't like the rail system. I just shoot without it.

I got mine used without the rail system and I like it very much. It is a little heavy, but that is not much of a con for how I use it. Recoil is very light; i guess its loud, but i mean so is everything else I shoot. It is one hell of a brush gun for deer, that's for sure.

I never really worried about barrel length affecting velocity because the deer and steel, at the ranges I use this, do not seem to mind. It is very handy. Not quite a marlin lever, but great for what it is.

The DUECE rocks! Eveyone says take the rail off to make it lighter....Not true! It's still like carrying a fence post without it so I say leave it on!

I would post a pic of mine but Its just gonna make it worse for ya!