• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Springfield XD vs S&W M&P series

no7vice

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2011
Foster City, CA
I have come down to these two options for a at home gun that is also tactically proficient on the range. Does anyone have either of these and have anything to add to this conversation? Of course I have shot both of these before asking but just wondering about someone else's experiences...

Re: Springfield XD vs S&W M&P series

My pd transitioned to the M&P 45 a few years ago. I immediatly noticed that everybodies score went up. The reason was the trigger. The m&p has a consistent dao where our former weapon was a da/sa. I got a lot of good feedback about the weapon. The only issue we have run into was with the extractor. We had one of the first batches of 45's in our area and some of the weapons would not always go fully into battery. After a few calls to our rep. it was determined that the extractors were a hair too short. They provided us with new extractors and I've been replacing them as the problem happens...Other than that, it has worked well for us.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: no7vice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have either of these and have anything to add to this conversation?</div></div>If you are not issued one, and are not forced to carry it, you have the advantage of being able to choose a better firearm.

I have both and like both. I am a little more partial to the M&P because you don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble it (unless you get XDM). I shoot each just as accurately as the other and both are comfortable. I think options and accessories may be a little easier to get for the Smith.

I have 2 XDs, one sub-compact 9 and one 45. Both are great guns and cycle every type of ammo I've put through them without a hiccup. The 9sc is also surprisingly accurate for a 3 inch barrel. I have a friend that has an M&P and swears by it. There are better more expensive sidearms out there but you can't go wrong with either one.

I dont like the XD platform for one reason alone. The safety on the back strap. In awkward shooting positions or if you get a poor grip by trying to get your gun out in a hurry you will not be able to fire the gun or rack the slide without adjusting your grip. Besides that they function great and are plenty accurate. I had one but switched to M&P. I don't like to give Murphy's law any room to work when it comes to things that are this important. I shoot for a living BTW. I spend 5 days a week on a range training both MIL and Civilians. I have only seen this problem happen a few times with the XD's. However, it has never happened with Glock or M&P because it cant happen. My M&P is also a little narrower than some, or at least it feels that way on my hip. The new M&P's come with a better rear sight. The old one was really hard to use on your belt or holster in one handed manipulation drills. The new one has a cut for that. Much nicer. Stipple it and you will be good to go. Go with what you want. If you get the XD make sure you understand what it takes to enable the grip. Its pretty easy to do but there is that small chance. Like the guy above me said. Either gun is a great weapon. Just train often and you'll be good to go.

I carry a XD sub compact 9 with me. Has fed every type of ammo I can throw at it, never once had a FTF or any issues. It has been on some pretty nasty hunting trips as my sidearm and I have actually put it through hell. Its been soaked in mud, dirt, sand, etc and I even used it on a small hog on one of those days without cleaning.

Now, I take EXTREMELY good care of my guns, but I do use them. I chose the sub compact because I myself am a small frame guy, so concealing a large 45 is out of the question.

My vote goes for the XD, but the M&P is an extremely nice pistol also.

Never shot a M&P but love my xd40. Never had an issue, will run any ammo I throw at it, and easy to break down.

I like the low bore height of the M&P series....but that's just one of th features that makes the Glock better than either one of those!
smile.gif

Seriously, I like both brands that you mention, but ergonomics and bore height put me on the M&P side if I have to choose one.

Shoot an M&P9L in idpa and have had zero issues with it through 3000 rounds. better ergonomics for me than the glock, and has been as reliable as my glocks. For me, that was the big decision, fits my hand better, and as long as it is as reliable as gaston's creations, i'm happy with it.

I used to be a big glock person and still think they are an ok gun but compared to the M&Ps I have to say they fail. I sold all my glocks and XDs and switched to the M&Ps. They fit my hands perfect and my wife likes hers also. I personally like working on the M&Ps more. They are easy to do upgrades to and they never fail. I shoot USPSA and I have thousands of rounds through the M&Ps without issue. I am building a "Limited" one right now that should be finished in a week or so, I will add a picture when its all done. I would go M&P any day of the week. Plus unlike the other guns mentioned it is made here in the USA!

I have had the smith for a couple years now and all the XD guys i shoot with have all upgraded to the same pistol. The XD will never fail you, but you will shoot better and more comfortably with the M&P

I also use a xd9 and no failures at all. Great gun for the price.

Thanks guys for your advice. I went with the XD .40 in the OD Green. I love it!

Have shot both of them extensively. In the last year I have sold my XDs and stick with the M&P and Glock. The XD is just not ergonomic and it feels foreign.

I have been a die hard Glock fan for years but in the past 2 years have been won over by the M&P. The only reason I still carry Glocks is that I have to do to my job otherwise I would carry and shoot M&P the majority of the time.

Some really good info here. I have been an XD fan, 9, 357 sig and 45. Only time I had any kind of failure was with some cheap ammo for the 357 that was too long. I really like the XD, but after this thread, I think I need to get my hands on an M&P

Kenny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: no7vice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...tactically proficient on the range. .</div></div>

Please clarify what your definition would be?

"a gun that I can comfortably draw from the holster and engage a cmp course of fire with..." good definition?

Funny how personal experience can vary so much. I worked to become fairly handy on a Glock. My bud and Instructor had been a issue carry Glock for years.

Bought an XD45 and my score went up as did my Buddy's. I find it fits my hand well and I guess all those years on a 1911 in the service has trained me to grip the pistol properly so the safety is depressed.

Not that I hit much with those worn out pistols, but I never failed to get the round off.
wink.gif

I had an XD 45 and the m&p 45. I loved them both about the same. The M&P does have a slightly shorter trigger reset front slide serrations(45 only I think don't quote me) and the interchangeable rear grip strap. M&P also has more options such as magazine disconnect should u want it (I wouldn't).

I sold my XD and and M&P because I carry a glock 22 every day (not my choice but because it is what we are issued) and I got tired of a change in grip angle. If I shot the xD too much muscle memory forced me to chase my front sight when I picked up my glock because it was high. I decided to solve the problem by forcing myself to only shoot the glock because it is the one my life depends on everyday. Did u forget about H&K? Always worth a look too. Honestly can't go wrong with any of the above.

I have shot both and prefer both to a Glock, but I prefer a 1911 to both of them.

I've sold a ton, and you can't go wrong with either, just get the one with the features/feel works best for your particular situation.

I went to the gun range and shot the xd45 and glock 21. I bought the xd45. Never shot the sw, would shoot one if given the chance.

Both are very ergonmic in my hands over the Glock.

i have never fired a XD, my agency issues S&W. my personal MP 40 cal. has never misfired, jammed, failed in any way. a swat officer in a nearby town has to carry an XD and after he had so many jams/misfires he sent it back for repairs. they did their thing and returned it. right out of the box he said it began failing to feed again. he is not a happy camper. i honestly don't know a lot of the details of the issues he has with it, just have heard a lot of his rants. says hes not the only one in his dept. i HAVE read a lot on another site about this subject and have read over and over that "when you see a guy on the firing line cussing at his jammed pistol, its usually an XD." again, not my personal experience. my MPs POI was high when i first got it and i called SW and they sent me all the means to return it for a look see but suggested first i 1. shot it off a rest and 2. changed the grips provided. i changed the grip and it shot fine. i realize this goes against most of the responses here, but, you asked.

I carry Glock 21 as a duty gun and have never had an issue. We have broken a lot of them, but to go out and shoot 200-300 rounds a day is not uncommon. I once had one that shot with 2 broken rails,one front, one back and half of a trigger pin but it was still running. The one drawback is the grip. My grip on the gun is very high and the slide cuts me on every shot. I have scars on the web of my hand from the gun, but I'll continue to shoot it.

As far as the M & P vs. XD issue, I love the M & P. I shoot a 9L for all tactical PD matches and the gun has never failed. It's accurate and reliable. Not to mention it's easy to do a super trigger job and aftermarket parts are everywhere these days.

Whichever you shoot better with is what you should go with.

I can shoot the xD's well but I dont care for the high bore axis, it just makes the pistol feel top heavy/bulky and I dont like the grip safety. Comparing models of similar size the xD's are heavier and have heavier trigger pulls.

I have an M&P9...the only thing I dont like about it is that its a little slick, but I cant fix that with a soldering iron.

I've shot M&P 9, XD 9, XD subcompact, XDM and XD 45.

The grip angle and ergonomics for the XDM points more naturally in my hands. The grip safety can be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it.

Some say that the XDM combines the reliability and durability of the glock with the ergonomics of the 1911 and the ease of dis-assembly of the sig. Others say, just get a glock or 1911 or sig, etc.

Both M&P & XD triggers are good but in my opinion not as smooth or crisp as a Sig or a 1911, but still good enough to be accurate.

My personal preference, if limited to those 2 choices, is the XDM over M&P.

Everyone is a little different but this is why I prefer the XD line:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]It fits my hand and points better than anything else.[*]Tactile, easy to find cocking, and loaded chamber indicators. [*]A little heavier duty (I don't like when I can flex the grip on Glock's etc. when no magazine is in place). [*]It doesn't rattle. [*]Springfield's customer service is very good. [*]Large magazine capacity.
[*]I've shot hundreds of rounds with my sub-compact 9mm without any failures
[/list]

I shot and held quite a few different pistols before I settled on the XD and it just clicked with me better while the M&P just didn't do it for me...

Ergonomics are important. How a gun "points" is deceiving. I shoot an M&P. If I pick up a XD and try to extend the gun in my sight plane, it may be a little different. Thats not to say its bad or good. Its a different gun. Same with Glock, HK and every other brand. This is what is important. Reliability, being able to reach the mag release without to much movement, not accidentally hitting the slide stop lever, causing the slide not to lock back on an empty mag, and accuracy. Take these things into consideration when your hands arnt in 70 degree weather. Think about gloves, sweat and loss of fine motor skills. I shoot 5 days a week. Its my job. I see just about every make of firearm out there on the range. XD's, glocks, M&P's ,H&K... you get the idea. Very few students have problems with malfunctions. No one cares how the gun feels in there hands when they cant work a slide or shoot. What they do care about is little details. Low bore axis, extended beaver tail, slide lever locking back when empty, being able to work the action without worrying about your grip safety. I know the XD works. Thats not a question in my mind. IMO its even more accurate than my M&P is. Its the grip safety that kills it. Why even risk it. Yeah, there is a 95% chance it will not ever effect you. But there is a 100% chance it wont effect me. I like my odds.
When you look at how a gun points. Do you point it at the floor and then raise it up into your sight plane? Or do you start at a compressed high ready and extend it into your sight plane? Make sure you dont start with it aimed at the floor with your arms extended and then raise it into your sight plane. Thats a big no no.
Good luck and either way....shoot the crap out of it!

I have the XD .45ACP 4" Service Model. Works like a charm. I've taken a doe with it each year that I've owned it.....
wink.gif

I've had both.
I didn't shoot the xd very much. I think they are both solid guns. I love that the M&P is made in usa. So that makes me want to like it more.

The M&P pretty much shoots itself. It has been an easy gun for me adapt to.

First post but I actually have experience in regards to this topic unlike most other topics on the forum as I do not actually have a rifle yet.

I have shot an XDm (I know not the same as the original XD but close) and an M&P side by side. The S&W was in 9mm and I shot both a 9mm and .40 XDm. I like the M&P way more than the XDm, ergonomics to me were way superior on the M&P and I did not like the grip safety. I was more accurate and had faster follow up shots with the M&P as well. Leading up to this range session I truly believed that I would like the XDm more than all the other pistols I tried that day but the M&P which I had kind of written off was the winner in my eyes.

I own 2 XD's , a 40 Service and a 40 Tactical and will highly recommend them. The Tactical has almost 6K rounds through it and the Service has 3400 rounds through it. They have never failed to fire or chamber the next round. They eat anything I put in them.

I have an xD subcompact in 40 S&W and love it. Only thing I would change would be a tighter rear sight similar to the glock. I would stay away from the xdm in 45acp. My friend has one and aparentally there are cycling issues when shooting some brands of hollowpoint ammunition. And yes I did experience this first hand a couple of times. I personally like the grip safety and have never had an issue with it.

I don't personally like the triggers on S&W's. If I was to get a service sized pistol I would get a glock or single action sig.

There is a reason why glock and m&ps dominate competitive pistol atm and it's not just the class the xd is forced into by regs(ESP). CDs have great marketing and to many safety's. Check out the ling series of posts on m4 carbine about xds. At the end of the day they work but as a comparison to m&ps I say they lose

I'm looking for a .40 cal with a "fully supported chamber", so I rented an XD and M&P in .40 two weeks ago thinking I'd buy whichever I liked better, and I tried them side by side for 50 rounds each at the range. Both were good, reliable, and accurate enough out to 25 yards, but I wasn't impressed enough with either one to buy it and I delayed my purchase until I find something I am really excited about. Maybe an XDm is in my future?

The S&W trigger was a long pull and didn't feel good to me, the geometry for my hand seemed to make an uncomfortable angle for the critical last few mm's of pull. This was disappointing because I really wanted to like it. A bit of dry fire practice and working on my grip would probably have gotten me used to it though, and the rest of the package was very nice. It feels slimmer and lighter than the XD, not as blocky, and holds more (15 vs 12 in .40 S&W). I hear there are much nicer aftermarket triggers for about $50.

The XD trigger was much better for me, and the grip and trigger housing geometry fit my hand better. The XD clearly had the better trigger out of the box between the two both in pull weight and crispness. I didn't notice the grip safety so I guess it was fine... Some people worry about it as a failure point and technically it is, but I lump that possibility in there with asteroids and falling airplane parts so it doesn't keep me up at night. My main gripe with the XD was that it was thicker, heavier, and blockier than the M&P, yet had lower capacity.

Overall I wasn't impressed enough with either one to make a buy, but if I had to pick one I'd have gone with the XD. My groups were about half the size with the XD, but I think that was due to my unfamiliarity with both guns and the XD's trigger being more forgiving. I did shoot the XD more accurately than my glock 17 which I have 1000's of rounds through, so maybe there's something to it or maybe it just liked the range ammo I had for it.

I bought an M&P .40 and loved it, all except for the hinged trigger. I never managed to get used to the feel and ended up trading it in for an XDm .40. While I love how my XDm shoots, I'm still partial to the M&P. If anyone knows where to get an after market trigger set up with the safety like an XDm/Glock, I would gladly get another M&P and just swap that damn hinged trigger.

You really can't go wrong with either is basically what I'm saying. Find the one that is most comfortable and you shoot best with.