• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SPRM² - Scope Mount Installation Tutorial

long ball hex.jpg

@Waorani
I suggested that in the first post (Bear Pit) that got deleted.
Switch the screws out for allen head cap screws then supply a ball driver bit for fat max or Borka.
No response???
Torx bits must be engaged square or they strip.
Since I'm on the topic of fasteners @GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT Please explain the choice of 8-40 fasteners for the ring caps?
It's been my experience that coarse fasteners are much better when tapped directly into aluminum i.e. less likely to strip and easier to tap cleanly in gummy 6061. I think your going to regret the 8-40's. They make perfect sense attaching a pic rail to a hardened receiver, but not into 6061 at least not to me.

And of coarse I also suggested they change the name before releasing it and offered a suggestion..........PDM (Precision Duty Mount), Fuck anything but Sperm.

I've seen some great design assist happen here when a manufacturer comes with an open mind.

To be honest I was holding out some hope Griffin would be somewhat receptive considering all the grief they caught.

I was in the market when the thread started.......... but no........... just no........not on my rifle.

The price is right, but the juice isn't worth the squeeze to me ? Sorry couldn't resist.

The following isn't meant to insult, but rather to offer Griffin insight as to what led me (average Joe) to not pick there mount.
The build I needed this mount for should be in Griffins sweet spot at least with regards to bolt rifles.

I just bought the mount below for my new 6.5C.
Aside from the obvious items already beat to death, a few other things led me to pick the mount below.

• This is for a 2K rifle + $800ish 30mm tube scope so I don't want to spend $400+ on a mount.
  • I wanted 1" ht CL- to top of Picatiny for my 50mm objective (Griffin lowest is 1.1")
  • The mount below is made from 7075 T651. It is a much stronger material then 6061 T6 (Griffin). Why does this matter? Threads for those little fasteners are almost 2x stronger!!
  • The little auxiliary mount shown @ 12:00 can simply be flipped to 3:00 or 9:00 front or back giving me 6 different locations to mount 1 extra thing. That's all I need.
  • Price is $25 more then Griffin mount. Well worth it to me.

1573776215757.png

For comparison; although the mount above is T651 the only real difference to T6 is that T651 is stress releaved.

Fastener assembly torque, clamp strength, and thread pull out strength is about 40% improved in 7075 at any given thread engagement.

Just how hard is 7075-T6? When you look over the metallurgical data, it turns out 7075-T6 is nearly twice as strong as 6061-T6. Consider this information, courtesy of ASM Aerospace Specification Metals, Inc.:
6061 – Mechanical Properties
•Ultimate Tensile Strength 45000 psi
•Tensile Yield Strength 40000 psi
•Fatigue Strength 14000 psi
•Shear Strength 30000 psi
•Hardness, Rockwell 40
7075 – Mechanical Properties
•Ultimate Tensile Strength 83000 psi
•Tensile Yield Strength 73000 psi
•Fatigue Strength 23000 psi
•Shear Strength 48000 psi
•Hardness, Rockwell 53.5

Especially marketed to a niche crowd, they will have to price it at a point people just dont care.

Did they hire a marketing guy from Rtic coolers?

I see a black Friday sale coming up.

Ya, I'm sure there are more than a few reasons.

I can’t wait to see what the Joe’s use in the mounts/rings dept.

Are average joes rocking the sperm on their 700’s with criterion barrels?

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
you dont know what you dont know

there's a reason you see spuhr and ARC on a HUGE chunk of rigs

I’m not entirely sure why the ARC rings are as popular as they are. It has hinges, which are cool I guess? Granted, they look better than say, seekins rings, so they do have that going for them.

I’m pretty biased towards 1-piece mounts except where I need to use rings to mount a scope lower that that allows. To that end, a Spuhr (and others) have full length mounting surfaces whereas the ARC mount doesn’t and is QD oriented for whatever reason.

I’m not entirely sure why the ARC rings are as popular as they are. It has hinges, which are cool I guess? Granted, they look better than say, seekins rings, so they do have that going for them.

I’m pretty biased towards 1-piece mounts except where I need to use rings to mount a scope lower that that allows. To that end, a Spuhr (and others) have full length mounting surfaces whereas the ARC mount doesn’t and is QD oriented for whatever reason.
1 screw. easy as shit to use. hold scopes well. good tolerances.

i use SPUHR but if i wanted hunting oriented would be a a tossup between ARC and spuhr rings/hunting mount

If you are truly curious, I theres a video out there of Ted talking about the engineering and holding power behind them. Plus they are the simplest design on the market for install.

i use SPUHR but if i wanted hunting oriented would be a a tossup between ARC and spuhr rings/hunting mount

Yeah, nothing wrong with them, maybe I just underestimate how much people fiddle with their scope to warrant the convenience/cost difference.

Yeah, nothing wrong with them, maybe I just underestimate how much people fiddle with their scope to warrant the convenience/cost difference.
not fiddle with. but they're basically fool proof. triple the torque. only one screw for mount and one for ring

This.
Amazingly easy to install, low profile sides for tucked in windage turrets, no shift when tightening, great holding power and a not overly painful price.

Dang guys, I’m familiar with the product.

I decided to use rings for a basic browning hunting rifle I received as a gift rather than a mount to get the optic lower. Was going to buy the ARC rings, but also was like, whatever it’s kind of a budget setup, so I’ll get some basic bitch rings.

Apparently, I screwed up in a big way, so I’ll replace them with ARC rings. Can I at least use the shitty rings on a Howa Mini action?

If KAC had designed and marketed this for $600 you folks would be fapping to it.

C’mon man, most of the “hate” is for Griffin, not this mount.

Deserved or not, that is a fact.

Not even remotely......I think most of the criticism is 100% valid. How a company responded to their customer base speaks volumes though

Reactions: Threadcutter308

The mount is steps backwards, in more than one category. New, overly complicated solutions to problems that have already been solved by other manufacturers isn't going to garner much new business for them.

If they clean up those fubars and keep the price the same, they have a winner. (They should probably seriously consider a name change too.........).

This marketing foray of theirs has been nothing but a dumpster fire. Repeatedly and condescendingly dismissing feedback from their (potential) customer base is only making things worse. In other words, it's long past time to stop digging the hole deeper and put down the shovel.

Reactions: Hippy_Steve
Did he ever answer why the screws are on the bottom other than trying to be different? At times I've had to loosen screws to level the scope while it's on the gun. Bringing an extension tool everytime and having to look underneath is just annoying.

Did he ever answer why the screws are on the bottom other than trying to be different? At times I've had to loosen screws to level the scope while it's on the gun. Bringing an extension tool everytime and having to look underneath is just annoying.
I would imagine if they weren’t on the bottom spuhrs lawyers would be calling. I agree that’s the biggest flaw. No way to check torque without taking off the gun and then having to do a complete leveling process and reconfirm zero (or hope it’s repeatable) is a fatal flaw.

Reactions: TXBO
They said it's so they can 49.5 mounting surfaces so your MRDS can have its own MRDS, but many have speculated it's to avoid patent infringement

Last edited:

Want to know what the actual difference is?

Had they not named it something retarded, the gigantic meltdown thread on ARF would have never existed. People picked up on the name and it ran like a snowball down the side of the hill.

I poked fun at it but I wasn't trying to get into the whole argument about knocking products off. Just started a fun thread about the name and within 2-3 posts it already went into the direction the giant ARF thread went.

I'm betting if this thing was called the 4D mount, someone would maybe have mentioned they saw it or asked a technical question about it and that would have been that. Instead, here we are.

For what its worth, the ring cap mount KAC makes for its mounts is kind of meh. I was curious about the Badger mount that can take all sorts of accessories, but other than a MRDS, I've never had more than 1 thing hanging off my mount/scope.

Reactions: jlficken
The mount is steps backwards, in more than one category. New, overly complicated solutions to problems that have already been solved by other manufacturers isn't going to garner much new business for them.

If they clean up those fubars and keep the price the same, they have a winner. (They should probably seriously consider a name change too.........).

This marketing foray of theirs has been nothing but a dumpster fire. Repeatedly and condescendingly dismissing feedback from their (potential) customer base is only making things worse. In other words, it's long past time to stop digging the hole deeper and put down the shovel.
Whoever is running their marketing Dept has subscribed to the fallacy that is "all press is good press". Anyone who works at any sort of ad or PR agency will tell you that is a very elementary school of thought and is no way accurate.

Whoever is running their marketing Dept has subscribed to the fallacy that is "all press is good press". Anyone who works at any sort of ad or PR agency will tell you that is a very elementary school of thought and is no way accurate.

Perhaps.......But I'm just not convinced that they're that on top of things. :unsure: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Want to know what the actual difference is?

Had they not named it something retarded, the gigantic meltdown thread on ARF would have never existed. People picked up on the name and it ran like a snowball down the side of the hill.

I poked fun at it but I wasn't trying to get into the whole argument about knocking products off. Just started a fun thread about the name and within 2-3 posts it already went into the direction the giant ARF thread went.

I'm betting if this thing was called the 4D mount, someone would maybe have mentioned they saw it or asked a technical question about it and that would have been that. Instead, here we are.

For what its worth, the ring cap mount KAC makes for its mounts is kind of meh. I was curious about the Badger mount that can take all sorts of accessories, but other than a MRDS, I've never had more than 1 thing hanging off my mount/scope.
I think that is a solid assessment. I would only add that regardless of how good most Griffin products are, people do not like the forum presence that they have (again, deserved or not) and the perception that they “copy” other manufacturers.

In manufacturing, everyone stands on the shoulders of those who were “first”. It is simply how it is done. While some of the forum posts by Griffin have been .... interesting, they make solid gear at good prices.

This mount does what others do, perhaps better, at the ”expense” of screws being in an unconventional location which is easily overcome with an inexpensive tool.

Currently I have no interest in a secondary optic on any rifle so it’s all just an interesting concept to read about for me. The thread on ARF was disgraceful and all I could think was that if it was anyone but Griffin it wouldn’t have happened.....so I agree with you.