• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPS AAC or 5R?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
So as I posted before, I'm thinking of getting back "in the game" (albeit, on a budget). Is there any marked difference in quality between the SPS AAC (either the 20" or 16.5") and the 20" 5R stainless? The 5R is almost $450 (per Bud's) more. Is there likely to be that big a difference in quality/accuracy? Granted, if I get the AAC, I'll have to switch the stock and that is $$ right there whereas I believe I can "make do" with the 5R PSS style stock. I realize it's a Remmy (not Rock) 5R, so is there going to be a difference in barrel quality or is it pretty much a "same but different"?

If it is a "same but diff" shituation, I'm thinking I'd be better off with the AAC and looking for a quality stock (either gently used, or on sale).
If the Rem 5R barrel is that much better than the AAC model, I'd probably just go with that.

Thoughts?

$450 is the cost of a rebarrel after you shoot out the factory barrel. I would get the SPS AAC, drop it in a new stock/chassis, and years from now spend the money you saved on the replacement barrel.

Well it'd be more like a 200-220$ difference as you'll very likely end up swapping the hogue overmold stock the AAC comes with (if you go basic with an HS 5R take-off or B&C). You'd have the benefit of choosing something more to your liking, though.

$450 is the cost of a rebarrel after you shoot out the factory barrel. I would get the SPS AAC, drop it in a new stock/chassis, and years from now spend the money you saved on the replacement barrel.

This is what I went with and it has been working well so far. I have the SPS version in the 1-12 twist and have started blasting 155 Scenars out of it in order to more rapidly erode the throat so I can expedite the need for a rebarrel :)

I ended up grabbing a 700 VTR over the SPS. Similar pricing in my area. The stock seems to be a bit nicer; although, the barrel is not free-floated (has 2 rabbit ears, but have read about others dremeling them away). But, with the SPS stocks, using a bipod tends to push the forend up to touch the barrel. And I've heard / read that the stock can actually be twisted quite easily (side-to-side).

I'm also in the midst of a budget build. I figure I can live with this stock for longer; I intended to grab a B&C, but may opt for the new KRG X-ray.

The VTR has the fluted barrel, 22" with a 2" brake at the end. 1:12 twist.

If it was another caliber Id say AAC, but with how long a 308 barrel will last Id start out with what you want then when it burns up swap to 6.5CM. Ive got a 24" 5R and to me the stock is great with the addition of a triad stock pack. Its no manners but its darn nice for the price and cheek weld is great with the stock pack as well as being useful. To me its worth the extra money for the 5R over the AAC, unless you really want the threaded barrel. I got mine threaded but I also wanted the 24" barrel to begin with.

You can find a 5r with a threaded barrel. It really depends on what type of shooting you would like to do as well. With every friend if mine that bout the AAC they tossed that stock and fast so your savings does begin to dwindle and fast replacing parts.