• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

sps vs the sps aac ?

madarcher427

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2014
michigan
I cant decide between the two. The aac has the 1/10 & the sps has the 1/12 twist. What would be the heaviest bullet you could run in the 1/12? On that same note what would be the lightest bullet I could run out of the 1/10. I was thinking of trying the 155gr to 175gr ,along with some 150gr. I plan on getting a new stock for it ,along with a trigger as I get the money. rang will be mostly 100 to 300 . With an occasional 600 to 1000 once a year ,maybe twice.

I've shot 178 AMAXs and 175 SMKs in a regular SPS without any issues. Both twists should shoot 150s just fine.

I would go with the AAC simply because it is already threaded for a can or muzzle brake. Or, save a bit extra and go for a 700P or a 5R that already has a good stock on it. Then all you need to add is a trigger.

The heaviest bullet I have run through my SPS Tactical 1:12 20" barrel is the 190 berger vld and accuarcy was good at temps at or below freezing and 700'ish ASL. Stablity was not a probelm. I have not had my 1:10 20" AAC long and the lightest bullet I have used thus far is 168 a-max...

I cant decide between the two. The aac has the 1/10 & the sps has the 1/12 twist. What would be the heaviest bullet you could run in the 1/12? On that same note what would be the lightest bullet I could run out of the 1/10. I was thinking of trying the 155gr to 175gr ,along with some 150gr. I plan on getting a new stock for it ,along with a trigger as I get the money. rang will be mostly 100 to 300 . With an occasional 600 to 1000 once a year ,maybe twice.
Depends on your budget. If you're going to get a remington 700, I say save up for the 700P or 700 5R. If you have to choose between the SPS and the AAC, I say go with the AAC because it already has the muzzle threaded. If you can get a better deal on the SPS, a 1/12 twist will work fine with Hornday 178s and SMK 175s.

AAC. But like already stated make money for another stock. Also if you plan to keep original AAC stock sand down the front of the stock so it won't make contact with the barrel. I did that to mine after I noticed when using a bipod it had enough flex in the stock and touched the barrel when using a bipod. Once I cut and sanded it down never had any issues and found it wasn't too bad of a stock.

If you do not ever plan to get a suppressor or add a muzzle brake I wouldn't bother with the AAC. The SPS will accomplish everything you stated for less money if you do not need the threading.

I've got the AAC and love it. Regularly shot 168 and 175 with it with great results out to 300 (haven't gone farther but all under one minute out to that far if I do my part). Wen I tried the 147gr WWB the groups were around 8". Haven't tried it again.

-BTO-

I have both. Get the AAC because you will find that you will want a brake on the SPS Tactical. The AAC is ready for a brake out of the box.

Yes aac sd, love mine buddy has the reg sps, he constantly tells me he wishs he just got the aac, im shooting 178 and 175 those are just the bullets that have done best for my barrel "sub MOA". still tinkering but shouldnt be too long before it "sub half MOA"

Would glass embedding help the stock any ,until I an get another stock? Will I be able to remove the action & barrel after its embedded?

Thanks Everyone!

yeah you can look up some youtube videos about it theres alot to look at the 8540 tactical is a good one and so it the 1000k project gun by highjak86 i think , but its kinda waste of time, i just went ahead changed stock and bedded myself, made all the difference, its worth every penny id say. and time of trying to find a load that will work with that stock and then realize you are getting frustrated that your not getting the accuracy your looking for you buy a stock then have to start over. Just save your time and money. One of my modo "if you can t do it right the first time wait until you can." hell whats saving up $300 to get a stock when you about to spend 1000 on a gun anyways

Would glass embedding help the stock any ,until I an get another stock? Will I be able to remove the action & barrel after its embedded?

Thanks Everyone!

The problem with the flimsy Hogue stock is that the barrel contacts the stock. Bedding the action into the stock likely won't do any good. Done properly, the action is treated with a light coat of mold release to (I use shoe polish wax) to prevent the bedding material from adhering to the action.

I've read reports of people shimming the action up with spacers cut from beer cans, but the fore arm can still bend enough to rest on the barrel.