• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SPSTactical project 500/1000 yard RNG RPT 2-15-10

Re: SPSTactical project& range reports 11-24-09

Well Bartlien called this morning and said my barrel will be leaving there shop tomorrow, so I took my rifle to ups and shipped it to Mr. Roscoe of Louisianna Precision Rifles for the smithing

Keep your good eye peeled for the results should be about 4-6 weeks before I get it back...... Hopefully the kind folks at US optics will have my scope done around the same time......

Re: SPSTactical project& range reports 11-24-09

i hate the waiting game......

Re: SPS Tactical range report and project status.....

Your going to love that barrel, mine shoots well under .5" for 5 shots, I shot a 3 shot group sighting in that was .07" CTC. They also don't foul very much at all.

You should get some Wipe Out. Wipe Out and patchs will get it clean. And buy the Online Training if you haven't already. It is worth alot more than it costs. There is even a lesson on cleaning.

-dan

getting really close. this wating game kills me.

Roscoe called this morning and my rifle is in the mail on its way back to me. This weekend I will post a review of the work. I am so excited. this will be the longest 72 hours of my life.......

I'm following your thread closely. I just recently picked up a SPS Tac.

This is what it looked like straight from the person I bought it from he'd only put 10 rounds through her. I don't like the scope it's a Barska 8 X 32 have a Leupold 6.5 X 20 VX-3 going on it soon!

I shot it with a few loads I already had worked up for some of my other .308s. Plus some Blackhills 168 SMK I happened to have.

It seemed to like the 165 Sierras over 45 grains of Varget the best so far. These loads were loaded with small base dies and bullet depth set so they would function in my Lever Win 88 and my FNAR mags.

These were in 1/2 inch group and showed potential as three went into same hole.

Rem700SPS007res.jpg

Over all I'm real happy with it and the first thing I did was take off al the extra stuff, bi-pod, sling, stock saddle ect. And I shot it off sand bags.

The good thing I noticed was if I'd have fired all these different bullet weights and loads at the same spot I'd have had about an inch to an inch and a quarter group!

For now I'm satisfied with her.

~HF~

Well boys the wait is over and my first custom project is complete with the help of a few great vendors who all participate on this thread. Before the pics I would like to mention the folks that have treated me so well in regards to this build

First these great vendors supplied all the parts for my project and I wish to thank them all: US optics, Snipercountry px.com, badger ordinance, ken farrell(rings and base), bartlien barrels. I would not hesitate ordering from any of these reputable companies their service was excellent.

Second and most importantly Louisianna Precision Bad ass motherf'n Rifles,llc. I think William Roscoe just uses the Louisianna Precision Rifles, LLC but he told me in confidentiality that the first name is the companies legal operating name.

I am super happy with the gun and it is a beauty to boot. William was patient with me through all my questions and he did exactly what he said was going to do and he did it on time. I couldnt be happpier.

For a recap here's the specs:

Remington 700 SPS tactical action
Bartlien #8 1x11.25" twist in .308 Palma chamber
Mcmillan M40 stock
Badger bottom metal
Ken Farrell rings and base
USO ST-10 erek, m40 #1, illumination, 2" shade w/ ard

Work perfromed by Roscoe
Trued action
bedding
chambering
painted it flat black
bolt knob
crown
cut to 20"
fit the magazine kit

So here she is
nfsdut.jpg

zxpttd.jpg

I do have some work to do though, I need to install the used Jewell trigger I picked up locally and I have to change the ring base combo for a better fit and you can see all that in this thread as I will continue to update this with range reports and mods in the future.

Nice clean and simple build without the fluff, very nice!

One question, do you feel your natural cheek weld position is low for your current setup? For me personally, I would need a cheek riser or lower the scope some more to be in position...

man that build looks good! I think I might go with a box feed system when I get my 700 LTR together and broken in.

Well boys here is a taste of the results from the fine craftsmanship of La Precision rifles.

I shot this group the weekend I got the rifle back. Ontargert software measured it at .379 MOA.
2u5uu13.jpg

I was planning to make the shoot on Sunday at Desert Marksman on the 28th but after my day at the range Saturday trying to rush my loads together I got a stuck case in a die and then busted the decapping pin. I tried, but it was too late to go buy a new one. Total rookie handloading maneuver I know.

Any way this load was 175 SMK 43.5 varget CCI BR2 primers and Black Hills once fired brass. I expect this load to end up around 44.3 - 44.6 of varget.

It will be a while before I post any more range reports I sent some parts back to the manufacturers for some modifications.

I originally ordered my stock with a length of pull of 14.25 inches. Mcmillan is going to shorten it to 13.5.

I also sent my base back to Ken Farrell(KF) and let me tell you thier customer service kicks ass. I had thier std 20 moa base and it is too tall. With the length of pull mentioned above and the high scope base I really felt like I was strecthing my neck out there to get the proper eye relief. Now mind you Roscoe painted my base when he did the rifle. Not only did KF offer to swap my already painted base for a new low profile one he offered to make some modifications I asked about for no additional charge. I was going to have him cut the leading edge at a 45 for more objective clearance, I opted to shorten my length of pull instead. Anyway the base swap cost me ten bucks and KF earned a customer for life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Second and most importantly Louisianna Precision Bad ass motherf'n Rifles,llc. I think William Roscoe just uses the Louisianna Precision Rifles, LLC but he told me in confidentiality that the first name is the companies legal operating name.
</div></div>

Dont worry, Roscoe, I fixed your website for you:
LAPrecisionRifles.jpg

+1 for fellow SPS tac. owners.

smile.gif

I would like too again tell you guys how bad ass Roscoe is and let you know his after the sale support kicks but too.

I went out and did more load development. I shot 5 rounds in tenth increments starting at 43.6 and worked my way up to 44.5 grains of Varget spitting 175 SMK's. Here is a target of the best three shot group. I felt the day was fairly sucessful.
t6fbx2.jpg

It measures .337 on the JDM software (if there is anyone out there that can help me figure out how to properly use that soft ware I would greatly appreciate it) and I am totally satisfied the rifles performance and I feel that my investment was well worth it. I am however left with a ton of questions about some of my observations.

1. On a clean bore, cold bore shot (so first round after cleaning) is it common to be off by 12" from POA?
2. Now that I have data from development how do I decide what to run and if it needs more tuning. Consider I loaded to 2.80 OAL and I am limited by my AICS magazines
3. I had no signs of over pressure on the hottest round I fired, should I continue loading up until I do?

I also have another picture of the stick coming soon I had the stock shortened an inch and I swapped my scope base for the lower profile one from Ken Farrell. I will get that up soon.

Thanks to all of you who follow my thread and share your wealth of knowledge. If it werent for all your help I would still be just a mall ninja...... Although with my lack of consistency I'm just one notch above that now.

Re: SPSTactical project done uptd RNG RPT 4-20

If you dont mind me asking...what is the round about number you have spent on this build? I'm new to shooting and have been looking a various rifles but I'm still not sure if I should anty up and go for something like a 700p/700 XCR or an FN SPR vs. the sps tactical and build. I know spending the xtra bucks is not going to replace time spent on sending rounds down range but I'd like to have a decent rifle to help get me started. Thanks for your time and effort with this thread!

Nice set up on that stick
+1 for another SPS.

Where in so cal are you located. PM me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. On a clean bore, cold bore shot (so first round after cleaning) is it common to be off by 12" from POA?
2. Now that I have data from development how do I decide what to run and if it needs more tuning. Consider I loaded to 2.80 OAL and I am limited by my AICS magazines
3. I had no signs of over pressure on the hottest round I fired, should I continue loading up until I do?
</div></div>

1. It is common to be off after a cleaned/cold bore. 12" sounds pretty extreme though if it was at 100 yards. Perhaps there was some crap left in the barrel.

2. Take your data, decide which load you like best then load up hundreds of them and go shoot.

3. Why continue loading hotter when you have a load thats performing well now? Get a chrono and see what speeds your loads are going now.

Rifle looks really good but 3 shot groups dont do much for most of the people around here. I believe lowlight even said only 5 shot groups posted.

At any rate it looks like the rifle is a shooter so now get get some targets with 5 5shot groups on the same paper. Try the snipers hide practical tactical target.

Its time to start stretching the distance and working on you.

Dont fall into a group shooting trap. Your groups look great on paper, especially that last one, but you missed the target.

Re: SPSTactical project done uptd RNG RPT 4-20

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: atmosphere0284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you dont mind me asking...what is the round about number you have spent on this build? I'm new to shooting and have been looking a various rifles but I'm still not sure if I should anty up and go for something like a 700p/700 XCR or an FN SPR vs. the sps tactical and build. I know spending the xtra bucks is not going to replace time spent on sending rounds down range but I'd like to have a decent rifle to help get me started. Thanks for your time and effort with this thread! </div></div>

I wont disclose what I have invested in this rifle but with a quick search of the net you will find prices on everything I have. Look on the front page of this thread and you will see my SPS tactical shot very well for a factory rifle and even though I posted the best groups I shot it performed well below the inch mark at 100 yards. You should do what ever you want just remember practice, practice, practice.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

1. It is common to be off after a cleaned/cold bore. 12" sounds pretty extreme though if it was at 100 yards. Perhaps there was some crap left in the barrel.

2. Take your data, decide which load you like best then load up hundreds of them and go shoot.

3. Why continue loading hotter when you have a load thats performing well now? Get a chrono and see what speeds your loads are going now.

Rifle looks really good but 3 shot groups dont do much for most of the people around here. I believe lowlight even said only 5 shot groups posted.

At any rate it looks like the rifle is a shooter so now get get some targets with 5 5shot groups on the same paper. Try the snipers hide practical tactical target.

Its time to start stretching the distance and working on you.

Dont fall into a group shooting trap. Your groups look great on paper, especially that last one, but you missed the target. </div></div>

you said perhaps there was something in the barrel. I may have some insight to that, after everytime I clean a barrel I run a patch oil down the tube as a protectant of sorts. I have done it with all my guns when I put them away for a couple of weeks. Is it possible that could be why its so far off on cold clean bore shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: send it 77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you said perhaps there was something in the barrel. I may have some insight to that, after everytime I clean a barrel I run a patch oil down the tube as a protectant of sorts. I have done it with all my guns when I put them away for a couple of weeks. Is it possible that could be why its so far off on cold clean bore shot. </div></div>

Wow I thought you had made a typo I thought you meant one half inch (1/2") not 12"

That's very extreme for that style of rifle. You should never shoot any rifle with excess lube in the barrel always run a patch through to remove excess lubricant before firing. You can ring a barrel by shooting it when full of lube.

~HF~

5 round group at 100 yards. 175 SMK 43.6 grains of varget and CCI BR-2 primers. It measures .421 .

10pvez9.jpg

This one was the best of the day and the average was between .5 and .75 with a few I royally screwed up. On a side note I had a few questions for Roscoe on staurday after leaving the range and he was nice enough to answer the call and talk to me for about 25 minutes. I can tell you this Roscoe's after the sale support has earned him a lifetime customer. Sorry Roscoe you are stuck with me now. Anyone in local Socal interested in using Roscoe and seeing his work I will meet you at any range between TJ and Palmdale (disclaimer on offer, must have means <span style="font-weight: bold">and </span>desire to use Roscoe for your build)

Awesome build.....kind of makes ya wonder why people will spend $3500+ on a rifle when you can spec one out like this for much less.....that obviously performs just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome build.....kind of makes ya wonder why people will spend $3500+ on a rifle when you can spec one out like this for much less.....that obviously performs just fine. </div></div>

thanks

Your SPS is what mine wants to be when it grows up!

At nearly 8000 rounds through the Remington barrel, I'd like to rebarrel it soon with something special but now I begin to see the wisdom of going the distance with a tuned action and DBM as well.

Looks like you'll be very satisfied with your setup.

Sweet rifle and nice groups! +1 on Roscoe. I spoke with him for approximately 45 minnutes on the phone, and he is a wealth of knowledge. I recently purchased my first bolt action rifle, a Rem. 700 LTR, and I plan to practice, practice and practice some more. When I deserve it in the future, I'll give Roscoe my business for a custom build.

Again, great thread and great rifle, send it 77!

I have been down the SPS route myself. I ordered 2 x LTR's in 223 & 308 as i wanted a pair but the australian distributor said i had to wait 6 months for a 223. So i ended up with a SPS Varmint in 22-250 and a LTR in 308. I never shot the gun the way it came out of the box so i cant monnent on how accurate it was. I then replaced the stock with a Wild Dog Tactical, CDI DBM, Rifle Basix 12oz trigger and a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40T. After running it in i started on load development with a 55gr HP and the 8 powder charges (.5gr apart) i tested they were all under 1" at 100m with the best being under .5". I would happily buy another SPS Varmint/Tactical and do it all over again.

IMG_1129_web.jpg

Hey guys I've decided on jumping on the bandwagon of customizing a Rem 700 sps tactical in .308. Here's what I got for specs please give some info for help.

Barrel:20" Hart or Bartlein in a 1-10 twist rate, 6r
Stock: McMillan A4 Stock, 4 flush cups and 1 stud, black (for a later paint job), and the adj. saddle cheek piece, and 3 way adj. butt plate.
Trigger: X-mark pro
Optic: Nightforce 5.5-25x56 or 3.5-15x56 w/ mil turrets and MLR reticle
Bipod: Atlas Ver. 8
Suppressor: Surefire muzzle brake, w/ the FA762ss suppressor
Magazine: Badger Ord. M5 DBM

Well there she is any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

If you are going all out, you might as well change the trigger too. That is one of the first things I change in new rifles. Looks great other than that.

Re: SPS Tactical project updated 11-8-10

Well boys its been too long since I posted an update. So here is whats been going on.

The rifle is shooting great and runs like a champ except when I screw up my reloads. It seems to me that reloading for the 1995 palma chamber is an exact science and my reloading coach locally hasn't been able to show me the correct methods to get it done.

Here's what happens the first through 3rd firings on my lapua brass run great then I full length size(which I do every firing) they fit fine until I load a bullet and they dont fit anymore. I was reloading on hand me down gear and have been slowly aquiring new equipment as I shoot fgmm which I have been getting pretty cheap. About a month ago my local gunshop(fowlers gunroom in orange ca) posted a sign that they will be offering a presicion reloading class free of charge. I know the guy putting it on, he runs a presicion shooting school in AZ, and I think it will help me out quite a bit. After the class I plan to resume reloading....

This next section is in no way a Negative towards LAP. I add the disclaimer cause people may try to twist my words and its imparitive for everyone to understand that William Roscoe is a stand up cat and i am 110% satisfied and recommend him to all of you.

HERE IS THE LESSON I LEARNED WITH THIS BEING MY FIRST CUSTOM BUILD: New guys pay attention. I really misccomunicated my needs to the builder and asked him to chamber my rifle 95 palma match. Being the retard i am i thought since it was the sick shit it would be the sick shit for me. Well this rifle was supposed to be a tactical rifle and its not. The match chamber is super tight and wont accept just any ole round. I found this out when I tried M118 and it wouldn't chamber. Again this is my fault I always get wraped up in the hype and loose sight of the end game.

So here is where I am at: I ordered a new Mcmillan A5.

Should I have Roscoe bump the chamber to something more forgiving and put it in the new A5 Or should I sell the barreled action to one of you guys and have him build me a new one on his action?

Anyone interested in buying its got about 1100 rounds through it.

Re: SPSTactical project done uptd RNG RPT 11-8-10

Holy crap has my shooting life been good, got some new parts, figured out my reloading issues and shot to 1000 yards..

So first things first. In my last post I was complaining about being able to load rounds for the 1995 palma chamber. Well with the guidance of an amazing gunsmith I figured it out. The problem was my press was bottoming out on the shell holder before it could size the case enough to fit. So with Roscoe's guidance I got the redding competition die set and foudn one that works perfectly. Reloading issue solved!!!!!!

Since my last post I got a new Mcmillan A-5 stock. Should of bought it in the first place, this thing feels way better than the HTG did and it seems to eat more recoil than the HTG. I know that because I am getting wayless muzzle jump and my follow through feels way better. Here is a pic:
23lgv36.jpg

I have my new reloads and my new stock so last Sunday I went to the wonderful california desert to attempt 1k shooting.

This first pic is a 5" group I shot at 500 yards, I only shot two groups and this was the better of the two by an inch.
2ups4me.jpg

Here is the 1k range. We are shooting a 30"x30" steel plate hung on an A-frame I made out of gas pipe.
258msme.jpg

This is the hits I made out of ten rounds fired from 1000 yards. It took a couple to get on the steel and I think one of those came out of the dirt short. Either way I was happier than a puppy with two peters on Sunday and I look forward to tightening up these groups ove the next couple of months.
2zzrfx5.jpg

Thanks for follwoing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cc987</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_1516.JPG

My Kryloned SPS...a definate shooter! </div></div>
If you will get directly behind that rifle and line up to the riflr in the exact same direction you point that rifle, I promise you will love your gun far more than you ever have

I am not the guy in this picture. I have gone through the online training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovain1932</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cc987</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_1516.JPG

My Kryloned SPS...a definate shooter! </div></div>
If you will get directly behind that rifle and line up to the riflr in the exact same direction you point that rifle, I promise you will love your gun far more than you ever have</div></div>

Re: SPSTactical project 500/1000 yard RNG RPT 2-15-10

Ok since this thread is started I will bite
laugh.gif

Here is my Remmy 700 SPS Tac:

Action: Remmy 700
Barrel: Stock SPS Tac 20" barrel
Bolt: Badger Ordinance Bolt
Stock: HS Precision 5R take off bedded
Trigger: Timney 510 @ 2.5LB
Bipod: Harris BR-S
Base: EGW 20MOA
Rings: Warne 30mm Low
Scope: Hawke 4.5-14x42 SideWinder Tactical
Muzzle Brake: Roedale c21.5 (clamp on style)

Un.jpg

Here is my best 100 yard groups after I got my muzzle brake 1-28-11 One three shot group was .217 and a 4 shot group .319

TgtGfx2.jpg

Here is my 534-50 +- yard group came out at 2.520

TgtGfx.jpg