• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Spuhr binds parallax ?????

followed this pattern. Started with finger tight, then torqued to 15 inch lbs with Fix It Sticks, final torque with Borka Tools not exceeding Kahles specs. Parallax seemed okay even before the parallax ring was attached.
A4784DC3-D97C-4873-8771-BF4EACA533B6.jpeg

I am highly surprised and I really want anyone who have this issue to contact Randy and change the mount.

We haveto date NEVER got a single return for this issue and last years production have been in excess of over15000 mounts per year.

So I really want to get hold of mounts with this issue so we can measure the mount in measuring machine.

The only feedback I have got so far is from Tangent Theta, who changed their torque recomendation to 15in/lbs.
I have a TT here on loan from them and I have not been able to do it, that scope refuse to bind:)

so appearantly very very few scopes have this problem and only good way to start somewhere is to measure up the issue mounts to see if there is an issue with roundness or dimension.

Reading this, I got concerned for a sec cause I just remounted a k525 in an SP-4001 and didn't check the parallax wheel. After pulling them out of the safe, my 525/624s don't have any issues. Little friction at the minimum settings but nothing of concern. Pic rail bolts torqued to 45, ring bolts torqued to 18. All in SP-4001.

Reactions: deersniper
Random thought - noticed yours and the other guy who posted a pic with issue seem to be RSW? Mine that don't have an issue are LSW. May not be anything but just an observation if I'm looking at the pic correctly.

Reading this, I got concerned for a sec cause I just remounted a k525 in an SP-4001 and didn't check the parallax wheel. After pulling them out of the safe, my 525/624s don't have any issues. Little friction at the minimum settings but nothing of concern. Pic rail bolts torqued to 45, ring bolts torqued to 18. All in SP-4001.
My K525i has zero friction at any setting. Nor my K318i either unmounted or in their respective ERA-TACs. If there wasn’t friction before it might be something to analyze.

Only my 624 has friction and it’s the last 1/4” of turn to minimum 50yd setting. Not going to worry about that at all. 525 has no friction. I need to buy a 318 for another rifle and it will also go in a spuhr when I get it.

I am highly surprised and I really want anyone who have this issue to contact Randy and change the mount.

We haveto date NEVER got a single return for this issue and last years production have been in excess of over15000 mounts per year.

So I really want to get hold of mounts with this issue so we can measure the mount in measuring machine.

The only feedback I have got so far is from Tangent Theta, who changed their torque recomendation to 15in/lbs.
I have a TT here on loan from them and I have not been able to do it, that scope refuse to bind:)

so appearantly very very few scopes have this problem and only good way to start somewhere is to measure up the issue mounts to see if there is an issue with roundness or dimension.

I could send you the SP-4002 that bound up my Tangent Theta, it's been sitting unused in a drawer after the mounting failure. The solution I was offered via phone call was to remove torque, but it bound at <15 in/lbs and I was reluctant to go lower. Not sourced from Mile High, by the way.

Only my 624 has friction and it’s the last 1/4” of turn to minimum 50yd setting. Not going to worry about that at all. 525 has no friction. I need to buy a 318 for another rifle and it will also go in a spuhr when I get it.
Sir @deersniper and I, with different 318s and different Spuhrs had issues. I’ll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag with my 318 going back to Austria for the reticle turning clockwise maybe 15* after one day of shooting having been pulled from the Spuhr and placed into the ERA-TAC. Maybe related maybe unrelated. Not saying you’ll have an issue but maybe something to consider.

• Sad
Sir @deersniper and I, with different 318s and different Spuhrs had issues. I’ll go ahead and let the cat out of the bag with my 318 going back to Austria for the reticle turning clockwise maybe 15* after one day of shooting having been pulled from the Spuhr and placed into the ERA-TAC. Maybe related maybe unrelated. Not saying you’ll have an issue but maybe something to consider.

Thanks for the info. Hate it for you guys but maybe they'll fix the binding when they fix the rest of the 318? I'd be interested to see the results when you get it back from Kahles and if you try it in the Spuhr again.

Thanks for the info. Hate it for you guys but maybe they'll fix the binding when they fix the rest of the 318? I'd be interested to see the results when you get it back from Kahles and if you try it in the Spuhr again.

No doubt they’ll fix it or so I hope. Every replacement has gone back for unrelated issues but I won’t put it in a Spuhr again.

Random thought - noticed yours and the other guy who posted a pic with issue seem to be RSW? Mine that don't have an issue are LSW. May not be anything but just an observation if I'm looking at the pic correctly.
No doubt they’ll fix it or so I hope. Every replacement has gone back for unrelated issues but I won’t put it in a Spuhr again.
has the kahles been a turd?

It certainly persuades my future decisions but can’t deny a crush for the Mk6 in the corner of the room that everyone knows is probably batshit. 🤷‍♂️

The quiet ones are the ones to watch out for...

NF is who you marry.

• Haha
I feel your pain about Spuhr unimounts. Ain’t never going to have a home on my rifles, especially as Richard Near is somewhat local to where I am on occasion.

As far as NF - bah. Shoot through an unpopulated tube, and anything better than a QF will live.

Pardon my language but fuck yeah. I sent two back to retailers before I felt too bad to do it a third time. My third replacement went to Austria for the aforementioned reticle movement. I love everything else about the scope but really wtf.

Am I not alone?
You're not alone haha especially with the 5-25. But that was all hush hush

• Wow
Reactions: charnicus
Hahahahaha. No I was referring to Kahles as the witch(es). I couldn’t seem to streamline a response to you and @b6graham...
I recently stumbled on a fire sale for a brand new K525i. I don’t have much time behind it, so time will tell how it shakes out. I get that every optic has a failure rate, and some guys flat out have bad luck. Just curious about a hush hush problem was all.

I recently stumbled on a fire sale for a brand new K525i. I don’t have much time behind it, so time will tell how it shakes out. I get that every optic has a failure rate, and some guys flat out have bad luck. Just curious about a hush hush problem was all.
My K525i has been good so far. Polar opposite of my 318 experiences. I’m quite fond of the scope. The resolution for me is wild and I’ve compared it to some shit. I won’t deny I’ve been in some fuck Kahles moods and put em up to the free market but I’m glad that fate forced me to keep K525i. I hope it lasts many years. Same wishes for yours / your experiences to come with it.

The hush hush is probably because you only see bitching about the CA. Not pseudo catastrophes and back to back lemons with such a premium offering. As if Kahles laid off the entire QC department.

Reactions: Secant
My K525i has been good so far. Polar opposite of my 318 experiences. I’m quite fond of the scope. The resolution for me is wild and I’ve compared it to some shit. I won’t deny I’ve been in some fuck Kahles moods and put em up to the free market but I’m glad that fate forced me to keep K525i. I hope it lasts many years. Same wishes for yours / your experiences to come with it.

The hush hush is probably because you only see bitching about the CA. Not pseudo catastrophes and back to back lemons with such a premium offering. As if Kahles laid off the entire QC department.
Not CA related. More like zero stops blowing up

Which spuhr mount did you use?

This is a 525i with Left Side Windage on a SP-4602

IMG_20200808_231158.jpg

Bumping this back up... Because I strayed from ZCO.

Picked up a 318i threw it in a Spuhr and what do you know? My paralax is bound at 12-15 inlbs...pulled the rear most front pair of screws and it's good to go. Even finger tightening the back two on the front ring it will not turn....

Last edited:
To date I have a Spuhr mount on a NF ATACR, Burris XTRII and Athlon Cronus BTR without issue. Plan to get another for my next ATACR as well

Hey it’s not only Spuhr issue. I had the same issue with my Geissele mount and the K318i. That said I just backed off the torque specs and had no issues with scope coming lose or losing zero. I think it’s just a Kahles issue.

This is making me question a possible K525i purchase.

@tex68w I wouldn’t. The Kahles are really great scopes. There are a ton of other good scopes out there but if you like certain features of the Kahles over others, I wouldn’t let this thread sway you away. As long as you don’t over torque and back off the recommended torque specs of the rings, you will be fine. Another option is to use quality rings and try to space them further from the central housing.

Reactions: tex68w
Wanted to follow up with this thread.

Kahles replaced my scope free of charge and stated it was defective. I mounted up the new 318i in the same sphur mount and its working without issue. Kahles CS was awesome and the turnaround was way faster than expected. I had a replacement scope exactly 1 week from when I initated speaking with their team about the issue.

Wanted to send a big thank you to a Randy @RNP @Mile High Shooting and @Spuhr for graciously offering to send me a new mount early in the trouble shooting before I sent the scope off to Kahles.

This is my 5th Spuhr mount and I have yet to have a single issue with a spuhr itself used with SB, Vortex, ZCO and now Kahles fwiw ymmv.

Wanted to follow up with this thread.

Kahles replaced my scope free of charge and stated it was defective. I mounted up the new 318i in the same sphur mount and its working without issue. Kahles CS was awesome and the turnaround was way faster than expected. I had a replacement scope exactly 1 week from when I initated speaking with their team about the issue.

Wanted to send a big thank you to a Randy @RNP @Mile High Shooting and @Spuhr for graciously offering to send me a new mount early in the trouble shooting before I sent the scope off to Kahles.

This is my 5th Spuhr mount and I have yet to have a single issue with a spuhr itself used with SB, Vortex, ZCO and now Kahles fwiw ymmv.
Honestly I other than your post and maybe one other I haven't heard of any issues with the K318i/K525i. Philip Velayo loves them , and my K525- SKMR3 has been like butta .Glad it worked out for you.

Honestly I other than your post and maybe one other I haven't heard of any issues with the K318i/K525i. Philip Velayo loves them , and my K525- SKMR3 has been like butta .Glad it worked out for you.
they are definitely not without issue, especially before the changes