• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sray Lube Question

Bluesop7

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 4, 2011
West Texas
I got a can of Hornady's spray lube a few months ago but have never used it until today. It has been in the garage for the entire time in high 90's and low 100's degree weather (which means its probably another 15 degrees inside the garage). When I tried it today it just shot out a stream of lube instead of a mist. My question is...i've never used this stuff before, is it supposed to be a stream or is it supposed to be a mist? I would assume a mist, otherwise you would be placing far too much lube on each case but just thought I would check with yall.

On a side note, what would you say is the best spray lube brand? Thanks.

Re: Sray Lube Question

Mine sprays out as somewhat of a mist. Did you shake yours before using it? I'm not sure if it needs it but I always do and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure storing it in high temps is a good idea either. As for spray lubes, Hornady is the only one I use. I used some Dillon crap a long time ago and it lubed ok but was hell to clean off the brass after the fact. I believe it was a lanolin solution or something to that effect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine sprays out as somewhat of a mist. Did you shake yours before using it? I'm not sure if it needs it but I always do and haven't had any issues. I'm not sure storing it in high temps is a good idea either. As for spray lubes, Hornady is the only one I use. I used some Dillon crap a long time ago and it lubed ok but was hell to clean off the brass after the fact. I believe it was a lanolin solution or something to that effect. </div></div>

I had better luck with the dillon myself over the hornady stuff. the hornady didnt seam to get as slick as the dillon lube and if you got the hornady lube on heavy enough the brass wouldnt stick in the die it was so heavy it was leaving dents in the shoulders. I tumble my brass a second time after I size to get the lube off and never had any problems normally 15-20 min in there and the lube is off of there.

but as far as the orginal question yes it should be more of a mist pattern than a stream.

It's more of a mist, and it should be shaken first, that's why there's a widget in there you can hear rattling like spray paint has.

I used Hornady One-Shot for a couple of years, but always got shoulder dents when full length sizing. I bought a can of Hornady Unique case lube to try and I will NEVER go back to spray lube. No shoulder dents, no overspray mess, one tub should last years, and it's good for your skin. Easy to apply with just your fingers, and wipes off easily with a dry paper towel. I sound like a salesman, but for $4 a tub you really ought to try it. Just one swipe across it with your finger will lube a couple of cases, and the sizing is sooooo much smoother and easier.

Yes I did shake the can and then shake the can some more. I tried spraying for a second, then shake, then spray and so forth for a while but had no luck. Luckily I had a tube of lee sizing lube and it worked like a charm. It was fairly slow though compared to just spraying the cases with an aerosol like I was hoping. However, I'd rather it work and take longer than be fast a mess things up.

RyeDaddy, I like your signature concerning homophones. It would seem most people today are either too lazy to care about grammar or just aren't aware of what grammar is.

I thought the purpose of the spray lubes was to lay down a coat of it on the pads, and then roll the brass across so you don't get any on the neck, therefore avoiding oil dents. I also spray a plastic bore brush with it and run that in and out of the neck a couple times before I size and I never get any dents or stuck cases.

I admit that the first time using the Horady lube ended in a stuck case because I was setting them in a holder and hosing them down.
This method sucks.

Do yourself a favor and put them in a zip lock and spray inside until it puddles a little.
Seal up the bag and massage the cases around to get an even coat.
Open the bag and allow the solvent to flash off and your ready to go.
Failure to let the carrier for the lube to flash off will get you a stuck one, Because it is to thin for the pressures of sizing.

Credit belongs on this site for the bag method, As I damn near threw the spray off a cliff after getting stuck cases.

I do a hundred 308 cases in a ziplock freezer bag at a time.

Same thing works with Dillon case lube, and you can use just a couple pumps, but the Dillon feels messier.

I use Imperial (now Redding) sizing lube exclusively now, its just too good and you only need a miniscule amount (I leave the can open next to the press and make like I'm inking for a thumbprint and rub around the cases nexks and shoulders as I feed them in the press-only have to dip my thumb in every fifth case or so).

I keep Hornady around though, its my favorite release agent for bedding.

I agree with Sober...use a plastic bag or a plastic jar. Start with clean cases, add a few to the bag, shoot a bit of spray lube, add more, shoot more lube. Shake or roll the cases and then let them set for 5 minutes. If you reload in the cold, make sure the cases and lube are warm! No issues when doing it this way.

To the original question, it should be a heavy mist.

That bag idea is good, plus it wouldnt matter if my can is shooting out a stream or not. I'll probably try out a few to see how it works then continue using that method or try out imperial. I don't really size/load that much so a suppose a little extra time isnt a big deal when using imperial or similar.

I think I will however buy a new can of the Hornady on my next order. I don't want to risk a stuck case because the can is bad. Thanks for the help everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I use Imperial (now Redding) sizing lube exclusively now, its just too good and you only need a miniscule amount (I leave the can open next to the press and make like I'm inking for a thumbprint and rub around the cases nexks and shoulders as I feed them in the press-only have to dip my thumb in every fifth case or so).

keep Hornady around though, its my favorite release agent for bedding. </div></div>

Same here for Imperial (Redding) lube. Easy clean up and I am sure that every case is properly lubed when I use it.

Never knew this about the Hornady. Now I know what to do with the One Shot I have.

I've been using Hornady One Shot spray lube for a little over a year now. When I first got it, like most people, I started using it the way I figured it should be used and experienced a few stuck cases occasionally. Then I went back and read the instructions on the can and started following those instructions step by step. Haven't had a stuck case since. I use a loading block, spray the cases from four different directions, allow cases to dry for at least 10 minutes or so, and start sizing. I hate using a pad like I had done for years before or having to lube each case individually by hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wirehand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I admit that the first time using the Horady lube ended in a stuck case because I was setting them in a holder and hosing them down.
This method sucks.

Do yourself a favor and put them in a zip lock and spray inside until it puddles a little.
Seal up the bag and massage the cases around to get an even coat.
Open the bag and allow the solvent to flash off and your ready to go.
Failure to let the carrier for the lube to flash off will get you a stuck one, Because it is to thin for the pressures of sizing.

Credit belongs on this site for the bag method, As I damn near threw the spray off a cliff after getting stuck cases. </div></div>

+1 on this. I was getting stuck cases before I read about this method here on the hide. It works really well. No more stuck cases and no shoulder dents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rudynix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been using Hornady One Shot spray lube for a little over a year now. When I first got it, like most people, I started using it the way I figured it should be used and experienced a few stuck cases occasionally. <span style="font-weight: bold">Then I went back and read the instructions on the can and started following those instructions step by step.</span> Haven't had a stuck case since. I use a loading block, spray the cases from four different directions, allow cases to dry for at least 10 minutes or so, and start sizing. I hate using a pad like I had done for years before or having to lube each case individually by hand.</div></div>

That bold part is what most don't do and show up complaining of stuck cases.

You don;t have to wait 10 minutes though. Just long enough to let the propellant evaporate. A minute or two.

The zip lock bag method works great and is fast. I have used it for years with many thousand of cases from .223 to 300WM and never had one stuck. Just follow thew directions.

It has been my experience that no matter what lube or procedure you use, pay attention to what you are doing. If the case feels like it is going to stick, it is. If it don't fit, don't foce' it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">If the case feels like it is going to stick, it is</span>. If it don't fit, don't foce' it. </div></div>

This does apply to all sizing, regardless of lube! Good point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the case feels like it is going to stick, it is. If it don't fit, don't foce' it. </div></div>

Even in my very limited resizing experience I thought it felt very obvious when a case was going to stick. I don't go fast or slow, I believe the proper word would be deliberate. This way you still move along at a good clip yet not so fast as to stick cases or (hopefully) do anything else that would be foolish.

It should come out as a mist,you may have a bad nozzle try changing it,also sitting for long periods the stuff has probably settled pretty good in the bottom so put the cap on and stand it upside down for a while. I think its some good stuff and I also do cases in zip locks in bulk just spray in the bag and mesh them around.