• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Staball hd and match

M4orturnate

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2021
Cleveland Ohio
Our distributer had stabal hd and stabal match listed for backorder. Never heard of them so i tried looking it up without much luck except for the the hogdon page. Are these the new accuflat? Anyone tried some yet? The match version would be awesome if its as advertised.

I saw it on the hodgon web page . I just assumed it was as anemic as accurate 4350 is . I wanna use less powder and get more oomph out of it like h100v or rl 17. Not use more powder that I can only find once in a while and it's less potent , needing me to use more of it . But I guess the only way to know if you like something or not is to try it .

I saw it on the hodgon web page . I just assumed it was as anemic as accurate 4350 is . I wanna use less powder and get more oomph out of it like h100v or rl 17. Not use more powder that I can only find once in a while and it's less potent , needing me to use more of it . But I guess the only way to know if you like something or not is to try it .
The main benefit is its made here. Stabal 6.5 has pretty much stayed available. We can never have too many varget substitutes imo. I think ill try it in 223ai and maybe br

Not much yet, it’s brand new

Reactions: M4orturnate
There’s an article about it in the new Hodgeden 2023 manual.

Apparently it’s temp stable for 6.5 PRC, 7mm PRC, 300 PRC, and others. Similar burn rate to Retumbo.
A142CB78-2BF5-4F86-A086-BDC2376F4866.jpeg

I'm very interested in the match, I moved to ball powders a couple of years ago because I had grown tired of weighing individual charges.

I

Reactions: Leadpilot
I'm very interested in the match, I moved to ball powders a couple of years ago because I had grown tired of weighing individual charges.

I
What powders are you using now and for what loads? I’m interested in jumping on the ball powder bandwagon but have experienced some pretty big velocity swings with temp in the past so trying to get a feel for my options.

While StaBall 6.5 was an improvement over examples like H335, H380, etc., it is not in the same class as temp-stable extruded powder like H4350.

Not saying the newest ball powders are not worth a try, but if you are picky you will still need to compensate for temp swings.

Let's see how the two new ones stack up. They have to be run in the wild among lots of users to see how they really turn out.

I just got my annual manual. I did find that the 107 gr data in the 243 Win. section had a recipe for all 3 staball powders. Velocity wise it appears that Match is similiar to varget and HD to Retumbo, at least in 243 heavies. Just need to get my hands on some to see what the temp stability is like.

09586703-66A6-4B3B-BFC4-09F86D281019.jpeg

I won't ask you to post pics. I'll pick up a copy of the manual first chance I get...

I am curious about Sta Ball HD for .300 Win Mag. I assume with a burn rate similar to Retumbo it's going to be best with 200+ gr pills.

Or is it entirely too slow for .300 Win Mag?

Mike
They show StayBALL HD for the 200 gr and heavier bullets.

Reactions: OkieMike
I just grabbed 4# from powder valley. They had 1 and 8s available. Gonna use for 6mm arc. My hope is that it gives lever velocity with better temp stability. Fingers crossed.

I'm working about an hour north of Winfield, KS (Powder Valley) and my plan is to try and pick up a pound of HD and the annual manual on my way home later this week... Hopefully both stay in stock.

Mike

Reactions: Modoc and Jason.N
I was hoping the same for the 6arc. Hodgdons has the load data up on their site. Looks like it runs nearly exact velocity vs pressure as Varget with -1.2gr more powder.

I checked PV's site last night and they were out of HD and Match... But I swung by there today anyway just to check it out. There is no retail storefront, it's all mail order. The nice young lady who spoke with me told me I was welcome to place an order online and specify local pickup.

I was in a hurry to get home though and didn't want to wait so I declined. Bit of a bummer but oh well.

Mike

Reactions: Jason.N
I should have 4# of Match by Saturday evening. If that happens and i am ambitious enough to load a few, ill shoot Sundays. If not it'll wait till next weekend. Got some 6arc brass prepped and primed. I'll post my findings if i remember.

Reactions: Bravo6
What powders are you using now and for what loads? I’m interested in jumping on the ball powder bandwagon but have experienced some pretty big velocity swings with temp in the past so trying to get a feel for my options.

I received some Staball Match for the 6mm arc. My initial impressions are that this powder kinda sucks for 6mm arc 100+ grain projectiles.Velocity was meh. Sd's were meh and accuracy varied from .5 to 1.2" 5 shot groups. Hornady brass, rem primers, 105 match burners. With same components but using leverevolution i gain 200 fps, low sd and .5- .75 5 shot groups. Was hoping this could be a bridge between varget and leverevolution. Sadly varget is better in every way based on todays test. I loaded from 26.5 to 27.5 grains. 2350 fps to 2475 fps. Never hit pressure in any of the loads. The data out there is limited but i ran it up to the listed max charges i could find. My magnetospeed was acting up and missing shots often. Temp was 30* and it was snowing hard. I need to re-test again as i pulled a few shots and my chrono was playing games. Took some hasty data. The trap guys were at the range and i had to stop/start shooting at random times (hate my range at times).

Reactions: Bravo6
I received some Staball Match for the 6mm arc. My initial impressions are that this powder kinda sucks for 6mm arc 100+ grain projectiles.Velocity was meh. Sd's were meh and accuracy varied from .5 to 1.2" 5 shot groups. Hornady brass, rem primers, 105 match burners. With same components but using leverevolution i gain 200 fps, low sd and .5- .75 5 shot groups. Was hoping this could be a bridge between varget and leverevolution. Sadly varget is better in every way based on todays test. I loaded from 26.5 to 27.5 grains. 2350 fps to 2475 fps. Never hit pressure in any of the loads. The data out there is limited but i ran it up to the listed max charges i could find. My magnetospeed was acting up and missing shots often. Temp was 30* and it was snowing hard. I need to re-test again as i pulled a few shots and my chrono was playing games. Took some hasty data. The trap guys were at the range and i had to stop/start shooting at random times (hate my range at times).
Thanks for the initial report. I picked some up for my arc…..

What length barrel are you running? Did you throw or weigh powder?

Reactions: Bravo6 and Jason.N
Thanks for the initial report. I picked some up for my arc…..

What length barrel are you running? Did you throw or weigh powder?
I am running a 20" proof barrel. Powder was weighed with an FA intellidropper.

Next test ill add a touch more powder as i never saw any pressure signs on brass or primers in initial test.

Did you hit pressure with those loaded? Seems pretty slow if so. My group of friends and I are running 2950-3020 with 75 eldms

Reactions: Jason.N