• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Staball Match in 223 (77smk)

Pickle Rick

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2018
Has anyone tested Staball Match in 223 with any ~77gr bullets? Hodgdon lists 24.0gr as max charge and velocity of 2750, but that’s with a 24” barrel. I want to see if this powder can at-least compete, or be close-ish to the typical mk262 powders.

According to my memory, johnnys reloading bench channel tried it in his mk262 series and it was bad

::::::EDIT::::::
JRB tested Staball 6.5 with bad results, not match.

Last edited:
It competes well with mk262 powders.

I settled on 25.2 with 77smk for mk262 clone. +-2750 from an 18" AR. This is a 5.56 pressure load & Hodgdon's 24gr max is at 223 pressures I believe. My gun just happens to shoot a little tighter with AA2520.
Also ran the 77smk's up to 3000fps from a 26" bolt gun with Staball Match.

Reactions: simonp
Really? If so can’t believe I missed that. I watched all of those. Truely amazing series of his.

I’m running 26 grains of stball match with a 80eld in a .223 AI and it was 2800 fps. That was just first charge I dropped. Going to go up 26.4 and see if I can get 2850.

22” bolt gun.

I’m running 26 grains of stball match with a 80eld in a .223 AI and it was 2800 fps. That was just first charge I dropped. Going to go up 26.4 and see if I can get 2850.

22” bolt gun.
Damn. That’s quite a bit over hodgdon’s max. Any pressure signs? Are you loading them really long?

Everything I have loaded has been over Hodgons max. I am loading them for an AICS mag and at mag length.

Very different from a PMAG.

Also it’s an AI so that probably gets me another grain or two.

Damn. That’s quite a bit over hodgdon’s max. Any pressure signs? Are you loading them really long?
Here is another link with a lot of info. Load lengths given for bolt gun are up to 25.9gr and loaded long 2.430"+. I could have gone higher in the bolt gun but there is a 3000fps speed limit in Tac class & I hit that at 25.9 or less with the 77gr bullets. AR @2.253-2.294" & up to 25.4gr in small cap brass with soft primers.

All loads in the link below & previous link are 223 Wylde 8T barrels.